Which is harder?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 pm

I don't really know about that. I've played contra a few times and although you do have some control it's no different than a regular bassoon. By that, the notes are keyed the same, they're just an octave lower.

You can use embouchure to "adjust" some of the lower notes to what you want them to be. I mean, I've pitched a low Bb down to a flat Ab but, that's as much as I can do.

PeterPanIsWhoIam
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PeterPanIsWhoIam » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm

i would have to say brass cuz you have to be changing ambisure so many dang times...
Peter Like Duh!!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:24 am

PeterPanIsWhoIam wrote:i would have to say brass cuz you have to be changing ambisure so many dang times...
:?

"The children are our future... so I try to slow them down whenever I get the chance." -- Scott Adams

musicallife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musicallife » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:22 pm

Drop your jaw and make it feel like you are choking, sometimes it will tickle a bit in the very low back of your throat.
>>>Jessica
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>French Horns are amazing!
>>Section leader, Uniform manager

brasschicksrule
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by brasschicksrule » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:52 pm

hear hear. i second that one.
"One band! One sound! AYALA!!!"

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:18 am

Runs are hardest on the glockenspiel. You need to have amazing accuracy and technique, if you miss a note in performance, you just have to live with it, you can't stop unless you know which note you mis-hit and stop the vibrations with your hand, without accidentally stoping the other notes from ringing and without missing other parts of your music.

You think I'm kidding, but I think my most stressful concert performance ever was when I had to do a 16th note run for two measures during a crescendo and it was a solo! I made it through, but I had to take a breath afterwards.

Honestly, though, your question is like comparing apples to oranges, arguments could be made for any instrument about how difficult it is, that was my main point, I kinda got sidetracked....
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.