Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:12 am

lol abel and his pet peeve.
Bad Boys of So Cal Forever

Death Waits for No One

"I might not dress like Satan but I am still down with the Devil"
"The Creatures of the night will devour your rotting soul"

San benito high trombone
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by San benito high trombone » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:41 am

Going back to one of the earlier posts

Dr. Zuniga is a very good drum major.
Being his student i would say he has a great personality and great leadership.
I have only seen small demonstrations of what he can do and even those blew me away. 8-)
"A band is only as good as it's next performance." James R. Zuniga

xDM89

Post by xDM89 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:13 pm

I agree with xOldDMx in that Jeff Whippo and Nathan Whelandt were both legendary Drum Majors. I was a DM from 88-89 (competed from 86-89)and then was a judge for a short time as well. I have seen about 18 years worth of DMs and my top picks are as follows:

1. Jeff Whippo (Glendora). He was an INTENSE performer. His mace work, attention to detail, synchronization to his music, difficulty, etc. was always at the highest standard. They had time limits back then, and yes he used every minute of it! When his music began, everyone stopped to watch. State Champion 1990.

2. Keith Penniger (Arroyo). He and Jeff battled head to head for three years and it was great fun to watch! His smooth attention to detail was incredible. State Champion 1989.

3. Ben Gompres (Notre Dame). Was one of the first to bring "non-traditional" spinning to the scottish drum majors. Beautifully smooth.

4. Abel Acosta (Azusa). Probably the best military Drum Major I've ever seen. This guy was so shy in person, but when he got on the L pattern everything changed. I loved to watch him.

5. Nathan Welanhdt (West Covina). Nathan was beautifully smooth and a great guy. He just happened to have been competing against some heavy talent and may not have commanded as great of a presence.

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Legendary DM's

Post by DMJUDGE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:58 pm

Does anyone have lists of State Champion winners from any years before 2000? I threw all of my records away from the 6 years my family was involved. If you have anything email it to us at drummajorcomps@gmail.com or just post here.
DMJUDGE
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

xDM89

Post by xDM89 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 am

I'm drawing a blank, but this is what I can remember off hand for the Mace Masters division:

1990: Jeff Whippo-Glendora
1989: Keith Penniger-Arroyo
1988: Ken McGrath-Glendora
1987: ??
1986: Richard Mercado-Pomona

Yaleguy

Legendary Drum majors

Post by Yaleguy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:59 am

Vallejo High School also had its share of Legendary Drum Majors Kim Malato, Jesse Garcia , Verton Banks and Omega Aquisap . I know for a fact that Verton and Omega both placed higher than Mindy Cabral in Drum Major competitions. Verton was actually a student of Rick Wilson ,spun an Excaliber mace that was designed by Rick and won Drum Major Sweeps at Fairfield's Tournament of Champions. Jesse went the year undefeated in field conducting and parade mace. Omega was explosive when she performed and had some of the highest NCBA drum major scores in history. Fairfield High was also a powerhouse for Drum Majors.
Last edited by Yaleguy on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMM77

Post by KMM77 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:59 am

Another superb drum major from years gone by is Chris Arnold from Vista. I believe he was DM from 1988-1991. He took the British Guards theme of the band and really went somewhere with it. His drill was authentic, flourishing ultra clean and entertaining, and had the best fake British accent command voice I've ever heard on the high school circuit.

He looked and performed as if he stepped out of an encyclopedia article on the subject of drum majors.

IDMI
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by IDMI » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:21 am

1990: Jeff Whippo-Glendora
Wow, I haven't seen that name in a while! My eldest brother has some videos of him from Arcadia in the late 80's and solo competitions.

I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before, but No Doubt's keyboardist, Gabe, was also Drum Major for Glendora (someone correct me if I'm wrong and which year). Someone had mentioned to me that Gwen Stefani was also in the band-not sure if it was Color Guard, Drill Team, or Band.

Who says people in band can't be cool??

Jason
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI)
www.idminstitute.com

Regimental Mace Company, LLC
www.regimentalmaceco.com

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:50 pm

IDMI wrote:Someone had mentioned to me that Gwen Stefani was also in the band
She played piccolo in the Loara HS Band.

Gabe was in the Glendora HS Band... http://www.lacemusic.com/artists/artist ... ?userId=17

I played golf a couple of times with No Doubt's drummer (Adrian Young) as his father and I both taught at Magnolia High School.... small world. Adrian had the entire No Doubt Band sign some Tragic Kingdom posters for my daughters...

John Christianson (trumpet for Reel Big Fish) was the trumpet section leader in my Magnolia HS Band.

Frank Zappa played drums in the Antelope Valley HS Band.

I could go on and on about Southern California high school marching band members who have gone to make it big in the music industry.

Wait!!! I need to put this in the "Book".

and... Pamela Anderson played saxophone in her high school band in Canada.

vore 8-)
Last edited by vore on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

IDMI
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by IDMI » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:22 pm

and... Pamela Anderson played saxophone in her high school band in Canada.
Hahahaha! Some things are better left unknown.
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI)
www.idminstitute.com

Regimental Mace Company, LLC
www.regimentalmaceco.com

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:44 am

vore wrote:
Wait!!! I need to put this in the "Book".

vore 8-)
I can't go anywhere without hearing about that goldarn book.

Some people from my days-

from the early to mid 70s-
Gerry Willis-Arroyo HS (now a band director in Reno)
Kim Burdick-Arcadia
Alex Plum-West Torrance (Followed Fred Deluzio)
Larry Martin-Vista
Lynn Giblin (sp?)-El Cajon

And from the late 1970s-
Randy Hage-Villa Park HS (excelled in both military AND mace)
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

fidave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fidave » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Glad to see Kim Burdick mentioned. Another high-quality 70's Arcadia DM was Bob Lazzarini. Rick Clough "marched" through the hallways at AHS (I kid you not).

To Arcadia 1979, I was there the night you march Clough into the grandstands of the Boy's (now North) gym. I believe you did a "by-the-numbers" which left Rick standing on one leg (like a flamengo), 20 rows up, and then proceeded to ignore him for about 60 seconds. In true Rick fashion, he held it until "2". You graduated with my sister.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 pm

You know what's funny....I work with a guy at the fire department that marched with Hage at Villa Park HS.

And what's even FUNNIER...

I WRITE VILLA PARK'S DRILL!!! baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaa...

Yeah...ain't that a hoot???

:shock:

Ok...I'll be quiet now.

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Dr. Zuniga

Post by mightyhorn » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:52 am

:drop: I STILL remember when three of us tryed out for the drum major position at S.J.S.U. I was a "big ten" style military dm, the other dude was a traditional military dm and the there was ...... Dr. Zuniga.

We watched- the other dude packed it in, I said, do you need an assistant? That's where I learned the limited mace stuff that I did.

mightyhorn

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:45 pm

John Christianson (trumpet for Reel Big Fish) was the trumpet section leader in my Magnolia HS Band.
Probably one of the best if not the best ska band of all time... I envy you. :evil: