Street musician ignored in D.C.

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Street musician ignored in D.C.

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Have we just gotten too busy with our lives to take notice of real beauty when we hear it or see it? Read this story and watch the videos from the April 10th edition of the Washington Post. It is about an experiment that was done during rush hour in the federal area of Washington D.C. during rush hour. Joshua Bell, one of the finest, if not THE finest, classical musician in the world played his $3 million dollar Stradivarius violin to see what reactions he could get from the commuters as they passed through the station on the way to work.

Washington Post Article

We need to stop and smell the roses sometime....
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 am

Top notch article. :tup:

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Great find. The video clip made me go a hunting for "joshua bell music" though; 35 seconds just wasn't long enough. ;)

uncheckedtrumpet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by uncheckedtrumpet » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:30 pm

bassoonuba wrote:Great find. The video clip made me go a hunting for "joshua bell music" though; 35 seconds just wasn't long enough. ;)
They posted his entire "performance" on the site.

GREAT article! :D

Darned ignorant public! :roll: :wink:
mt. carmel trumpet section :toot:

'04-'05 The Great Abyss
'05-'06 Music of David Holsinger
'06-'07 The Tempest (music of Samuel Barber)
'07-'08 Legend of the Fifth Sun (Music of Ginastera)

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:10 pm

My sweet goodness, not enough people appreciate the great beauty of classical music. I found it so (I want to say hypocritical, but it's not quite that) that the one guy who went to give him some change didn't even bother to listen to his performance. I can understand if they're in a rush or something, but that's just such a wonderful opportunity to give up. I could stand there and listen to him all day.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:05 pm

Wow, now that I've actually taken the time to read the entire article, it just amazes me that much more. His playing is so luscious, so beautiful, there isn't a word to describe how much of a forgone opportunity just to stand there and listen to him would be. *sigh* Living in the suburbs...no fair. :cry:
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:45 am

I used to live in Berlin, Germany. I was a musician with the 298th U.S. Army Band of the Berlin Brigade. We had street musicians everywhere. You didn't need to get permission to perform anywhere, except on private property. So you couldn't play in a shopping center or a private parking lot. Quite a few of the artists were members of one of the city's symphony orchestras. I dated the daughter of the Principal Viola player of the Berlin Philharmonic, who was notorious for playing in front of Philharmonic Hall (Philharmonie) minutes before he was supposed to be ready to go with the orchestra!

Many of the musicians, even the world class players, like my girlfriend's dad, were often ignored because there were so many players on the street. I don't think that's the case in Washington. I think Americans have gotten to the point where music doesn't matter. Schools want marching band (and I like marching band) but they don't want a musical education. Some of the greatest scientists in history were also great musicians (Albert Einstein, Albert Schweizer--yes, I know he was a medical Christian missionary, and others).

Let me tell you, if someone were to play his instrument here in Saigon, he might stop traffic!

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:29 pm

LoyalTubist wrote:Some of the greatest scientists in history were also great musicians (Albert Einstein, Albert Schweizer--yes, I know he was a medical Christian missionary, and others).
That sentence is so true. Even people who aren't famous get a little more help from playing an instrument.
For example, I'm a senior at UC Davis that is enrolled in the pre-med program. They love the fact that I can play an instrument... something about my fingers being stronger and better trained to make small motions without shaking.

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:20 pm

When Loyaltuba mentions playing in Saigon, it just brought a flood of memories. Back in the late 60's I was there and did that. Downtown..Saigon...Trumpet....yes, it did attract a lot of attention, and it was goooood :D
Supercommuter

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Do you............... wait for it........................ Miss Saigon?

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:18 am

I wonder what the result would have been if Josh played at the END of the day instead of the beginning. I know I am usually running late in the AM and am making a bee line to the subway. I move much slower at the end of the day and usually take my time getting home. Most of my colleagues are the same way.

I am grateful to the Washington Post for revealing to the public what we already know. I would love to see this experiment in Boston and New York where classical music is more in the public eye. I can assure you that Josh would be recognized in the subway in both locations.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:57 am

vore wrote:Do you............... wait for it........................ Miss Saigon?

vore 8-)

It's funny. Everyone knows Miss Saigon here but I don't think they will ever allow it to be played. But I have been wrong before.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:22 am

That was such a great article
Soldiering On!

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:04 am

vore wrote:Do you............... wait for it........................ Miss Saigon?

vore 8-)
Oh brother. :roll: Shouldn't you be writing a book or encycolpedia or something. lol.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.