A rare treat... Hindemith conducting the CSO

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

A rare treat... Hindemith conducting the CSO

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:37 pm

Here are a couple of GREAT videos up on YouTube...

Paul Hindemith conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 1963 - Concert Music for Strings and Brass. Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I5aADXJ6yQ part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWCc22WRLM part 2

Enjoy!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

musicallife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musicallife » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:47 pm

I just got to see the CSO live during the final run through for a field trip....it is really amazing!
>>>Jessica
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>French Horns are amazing!
>>Section leader, Uniform manager

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:30 pm

That's incredibly cool! Thanks for posting those videos on WOP for us to see!! :bow:
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks for the links... you always find the best stuff. ;)

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:23 pm

We talked about Hindemith today in my "Music Methods for the Elementary and Secondary Schools" class, (a.k.a. Methods). So, I promptly pulled out my laptop, came to this thread, and emailed the links to my professor. =)
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brich » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:32 am

Although Hindemith doesn't show it in the videos, imagine how he must have felt to be hearing his music played by some of the absolute masters of their respective instruments....what a rush that must have been for everyone!

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Absolutely, he must have...

Back in that day the CSO's brass section was considered, by many, to be the best brass section in the world. I know that the tuba player, Arnold Jacobs, is an absolute legend in the tuba world. And the lead trumpet, Bud Herseth, has been called the god of all classical trumpet players.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:43 pm

Brich wrote:Although Hindemith doesn't show it in the videos, imagine how he must have felt to be hearing his music played by some of the absolute masters of their respective instruments....what a rush that must have been for everyone!
Hell, I got butterflies just listening to a junior college band play my works. I can't even comprehend what it must have been like to have stood in front of the CSO of 40-50 years ago.

As Dave said, the CSO's brass section from that period is considered by most to be one of the (if not THE) greatest of all time. And the rest of the orchestra wasn't chopped liver, either!

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brich » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:48 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Brich wrote:Although Hindemith doesn't show it in the videos, imagine how he must have felt to be hearing his music played by some of the absolute masters of their respective instruments....what a rush that must have been for everyone!
Hell, I got butterflies just listening to a junior college band play my works. I can't even comprehend what it must have been like to have stood in front of the CSO of 40-50 years ago.

As Dave said, the CSO's brass section from that period is considered by most to be one of the (if not THE) greatest of all time. And the rest of the orchestra wasn't chopped liver, either!
I recall as a freshman at CSULB in '67, we had some brass players who were wearing out various CSO recordings as they considered the CSO concept of brass sound the ultimate. Obviously, guys like Herseth were unique forces of nature...how else could a mere mortal hold down that chair for half a century, maintaining that standard of excellence?

By the way, I highly recommend the CSO collaboration with Leonard Bernstein on the Shostakovich Symphony #7 (a live performance recorded in Orchestra Hall in 1989)....quality of sound/playing is simply astounding.