Percy Grainger (1882-1961)

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Percy Grainger (1882-1961)

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:18 am

I hope high school bands play this AMERICAN composer's music. Yes, he was an American citizen--naturalized in 1918 after having served two years as an oboe/soprano saxophone player in the U.S. Army band program during World War I. He was born just outside Melbourne, Australia. He was a child prodigy pianist.

Most of the band music he is famous for was arranged (not composed). Lincolnshire Posy was an exception.

His personal life was seemingly strange. His mother doted on him. He was born George Percy Grainger, but it was changed to Percy Aldrich Grainger--Aldrich being his mother's maiden name. His mother never left him (except for military service) until her suicide in 1922 (she jumped from a building because he had fallen in love with a young lady).

Most of the rumors about him were created after he passed away.

In the 1930s Grainger tried his hand as the Dean of Music at New York University--he added jazz to the program with Duke Ellington as a Guest Lecturer. He found the academic life too stressful and it took a toll on his health. He was best at two things: Creating music for others to play and Performing music.

He is buried in Adelaide, Australia

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:19 pm

I've played Irish Tune quite a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:24 pm

I <3 Lincolnshire Posy

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:25 pm

His music is fine, but it gets annoying when band directors go grainger-crazy and play too much of his music in a short period of time :x :cry: :cry:
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Percy Grainger (1882-1961)

Post by vore » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 pm

LoyalTubist wrote:after having served two years as an oboe/soprano saxophone player in the U.S. Army band program during World War I.
Yes, until his Army Band director in New York realized he was THEE Percy Grainger, the famous virtuoso pianist. Then the Army sent Percy on a tour playing piano to gather public support and funds for the war effort.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:45 am

I've played several of his pieces for both band and orchestra, including "The Lads of Wamphrey" (Spelling I know), "Shepherd's Hey." "Country Dances" (arranged by someone else), and "The Gumsucker's March."

Gumsuckers might be one of my favorite pieces ever. Grainger's music all makes me very happy. Even when it's dark or dissonant just listening to it and playing it gives me some very pleasant feeling.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Percy Grainger (1882-1961)

Post by bassoonuba » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:35 am

vore wrote:Yes, until his Army Band director in New York realized he was THEE Percy Grainger, the famous virtuoso pianist. Then the Army sent Percy on a tour playing piano to gather public support and funds for the war effort.

vore 8-)
That's pretty neat. It's like a real life Forest Gump. :)