CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:WAIT A FREAKIN' SECOND!!!! HOLD THE DOOR!!!
This means...I'm actually laughing out loud...how do you computer nerds put it??....ROFLMAO!!??....this means that Dave Weinberg and I, who I would go on to "officially" meet in 1985, go to school with in 1986 and 1987, and be his roommate for a year in 1988, WAS IN THE SHRINE AUDITORIUM AT THE SAME TIME I WAS!?!?!?!?!

I need a defibrillator!!

This activity amazes me more everyday!!!
There's a good chance I was there also. I started as an observer in 1972 (I STILL remember California Cavalry playing Army of the Nile) and participating in 1973. I'll have to go through the archieve to see if I marched, or watched, that year.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:35 pm

Hey PGOK,
There's a good chance I was there also. I started as an observer in 1972 (I STILL remember California Cavalry playing Army of the Nile) and participating in 1973. I'll have to go through the archieve to see if I marched, or watched, that year.
I always liked "Army of the Nile". We, in TAYB, played that for our competition march in 1977, I believe. Or was it "Washington Grace or graze or grays or.. " LOL We played that one year too. And also "The British 8th" sometime later. You remind me that for youth bands, at least in my experience, each new year brought a new competition march for parades.

I wonder how many folks have pictures, movies, and audio tapes of the bands from these days. It's possible that there could be a lot out there hidden away. Wouldn't it be cool to have a place where we could share whatever we have? Too bad we didn't have the same kind of recordings that DCI provided for drum and bugle corps. Imagine a DVD for each Shrine performance, for example. Or simply audio recordings would be cool.

Mike
Michael Lopez
Torrance Area Youth Band 1971-1979
Los Caballeros Youth Band 1979 - 1981

Egon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Egon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:40 pm

1979 Shrine Show? I was in the TAYB Junior Band that year (and also in 77 and 78). I recall one year we did a Disney themed show at the Shrine - I think it was 77 or 78. I remember how wild we were exploring that huge place at the lunch break running up and down the balconies. At that time we considered everybody in the TAYB Senior Band to be no less than gods to be worshipped and adored.

Dave Weinberg, you may not remember me from the Long Beach State saxophone section in 84-87, but I remember a couple bus rides where you were furiously writing drill for a bunch of high school bands. I saw your name recently associated with the Bushwackers and the JSU Southerners and that brought back some memories. Lots of JSU alumni in the Corpsvets. Henry Miller told me Dave that you teach at a highschool somewhere near his house in Lake Forest.

I still can't remember Ryan Turner at all but Paul Turner sure did when I talked to him at Christmas. He threatened to come on this site and air some "Turner" dirty laundry or something. I hope he does.
Brian McKnight
Torrance High School Band, 1980-1984
Torrance Area Youth Band, 1977-1983
CSULB Big Brown Music Machine, 1984-1987
Atlanta CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps, 2000-2006, 2010

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:51 pm

How's this one:

At a recent chamber performance, in IDAHO, the French Horn player played in the San Francisco Symphony with my trumpet teacher and... also played for the San Jose Symphony with the trombone professor from San Jose State.

Talk about heart failures!!

mightyhorn

1000 Charts
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 1000 Charts » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 pm

Egon wrote:1979 Shrine Show? I was in the TAYB Junior Band that year (and also in 77 and 78). I recall one year we did a Disney themed show at the Shrine - I think it was 77 or 78. I remember how wild we were exploring that huge place at the lunch break running up and down the balconies. At that time we considered everybody in the TAYB Senior Band to be no less than gods to be worshipped and adored.

Dave Weinberg, you may not remember me from the Long Beach State saxophone section in 84-87, but I remember a couple bus rides where you were furiously writing drill for a bunch of high school bands. I saw your name recently associated with the Bushwackers and the JSU Southerners and that brought back some memories. Lots of JSU alumni in the Corpsvets. Henry Miller told me Dave that you teach at a highschool somewhere near his house in Lake Forest.

I still can't remember Ryan Turner at all but Paul Turner sure did when I talked to him at Christmas. He threatened to come on this site and air some "Turner" dirty laundry or something. I hope he does.

==============================================
Brain McKnight!

Holy Cow, how are you! So your in Atlanta marching with the Corpvets.
What a small, small world it is (I'm hearing a Disneyland tune right now)

Yes, I am very busy as the Band Director at El Toro HS in Lake Forest.
I was at Santa Margarita High School for 9 years, then before that, at Mater Dei HS for 14 years as an assistant Band Director.

Very busy with the Kingsmen Alumni corps. I will be coming out your way in May. I am one of the guest conductors for the Concert
Honor Bands Festival at JSU. I will be at JSU from May 9-12. If you around, it would be great to say hello to you.

More Youth Band adventures and history continues.....
David G. Weinberg
Aliso Niguel High School
Director of Bands
==========================
"so let it be written, so let it be done"

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Audio clip of youth band mass band xmas concernt Dec 1976

Post by CrystalMage » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:41 pm

Hey all,

I happened upon an old cassette tape of a concernt at El Camino College in 1976 - it was on the back of one from my high school xmas shows. Unfortunately, it's not good quality even on the cassette at this point. But I took a bit of it to preserve what I had anyway. I put a portion of it on my webpage http://www.blackboxbuster.com/YouthBandsSoCal.html which I'm experimenting with stuff. You'll need to put your volume up ..

Thanks

Michael
Michael Lopez

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Mike

Post by LBRSR » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks for sharing that with us Mike. It's great to see you preserving our Youth Band history. By chance, will you have more pics of these bands and will you accept copies from others?

Glenn

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

pics, etc.. from other youth bands

Post by CrystalMage » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Hey Glenn,
Thanks for sharing that with us Mike. It's great to see you preserving our Youth Band history. By chance, will you have more pics of these bands and will you accept copies from others?
Sure.. I'd love to have pics or copies from others. I found that the tapes id o have from that time are degrading, so I'm putting them, no matter how low of quality, on CDs to preserve what I have. I called my dad and asked him to send any tapes that he finds ( at his house ) that look anything like a recording from those times.

If you like, you can send pics to my email dowpoint@yahoo.com, if you have them scanned.

I will be looking for more pics that me or my parents took of other youth bands too...

I'm experimenting with audio clips and video. My video clips must need to be compressed or something, because when I bring up the page that they are on, it takes time before I can play some of them. So, if you check out any video clips, be aware of that... I made the pages with video clips pop up as a new browser so in case someone gets tired of waiting, they can shut it down w/o losing their original browser session.

I think a limitation might be that I'm using yahoo's sitebuilder stuff, and so, there seems to be limitations on how I can made clips available - I'd like to allow people to just download them or open them to play them like they do on the xkingsmen website.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and I'd love to have as much stuff on all the youth bands as possible..

Thanks

Michael
Michael Lopez

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

hey Mike........

Post by LBRSR » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 pm

I will start digging to see if I have anything. I remember back in those days, I went to tons of parades and tape recorded all of the bands, including HS bands. I had several years of All Western Band Revue too. But, throughout the years, these tapes were lost or just too brittle and were ruined. I only have one little segment left and it is of LBJCB in my Christmas parade with them in 1977 and it is mainly of the drum section. Sure wish I had all of those treasures. I had all of the Youth bands we have talked about in different parades. I remember how the Downey and South Gate parades were huge affairs with tons of bands in the parade. I even remember recording the Santa Ana Winds when they had a syncopated drum section and were marching in red jackets.

Glenn

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Youth Band recordings and stuff

Post by CrystalMage » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Hey Glenn,

Great! It would be interesting to see what you find.

Yes.. I noted that one tape I have, but from my high school band, seemed to have fared better than other ones.. It's a metal type.. or something like that.. I wonder if that's why or was it just that it happened to be stored in a better environment all these years. I hope that's not the reason - the type of tape - because I'm sure most tapes we made were "Normal" tapes.

It's great that you recorded a lot of performances. Too bad some didn't last, but 30 years or so is a long time, I suppose.

Mike
Michael Lopez

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:20 pm

I just wanted to chime in and say how great it is that a BIG part of the history of the southern California pageantry scene has NOT been forgotten, even though most of us that ARE remembering have a few gray hairs. But I think this is great. As a matter of fact, I think it is soooooooooo great that I am committing 100,000 dollars to the development of the grandest website ever created for the SOLE purpose of perserving the pageantry heritage of southern California. Utilizing the talents of those on this thread, plus Vore's extensive knowledge, and DR's omniscient database, plus my connections with drum corps and winter guards...this website will be AMAZING.

Now...

Where's that 100K???

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOTTERY!!!!

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Now...

Where's that 100K???
It's in the book-
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:36 pm

PGOK wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Now...

Where's that 100K???
It's in the book-

:rotf:

Thats probably where the PGOK's check I wrote him went to as well...

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:50 am

Do you remember...

the Riverside Youth Band (they wore green and gold uniforms with tigers on them, if I remember correctly)

the Los Angeles Youth Band (they wore gold coats with red trousers and green trim--same as the Los Angeles city flag)

Ozzie's Youth Band (Ozzie's is now in Poway. But at one time they had several stores in the San Diego area. We didn't have one when I lived in Oceanside.)

the Burbank Police Band (all boys who wore police uniforms)

???????

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:24 am

LoyalTubist wrote:Do you remember...

the Burbank Police Band (all boys who wore police uniforms)
Thanks for this idea....You've just helped me with a big Uniform issue I've been trying to get through.......

Kuxica
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.