World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:11 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:08 pm
Posts: 707
Location: Southern California
Tu134 wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:
If you want see what it is like to play A LOT of music in a short period of time, click the link below and then follow the "Next>" link in the upper right hand corner to see what we played every week for 9 straight weeks. The really fun part is that we only had two, 2 hour rehearsals for each concert! :shock: AND five guest conductors! The real chop killer was John Williams' "The Cowboys."




hmm what link ?


This Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 am 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Amory
Simple Gifts--Tichelly
First Suite in Eb-- Shostakovitch
Incidental Suite-- (i forgot)
Folk Dances-- Holzt
Amparito Rocca-- (i forgot again)

_________________
Image

Cybernations


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:55 am 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:57 pm
Posts: 1353
Ex Nihilo wrote:
Simple Gifts--Tichelly
First Suite in Eb-- Shostakovitch
Incidental Suite-- (i forgot)
Folk Dances-- Holzt
Amparito Rocca-- (i forgot again)


Close :oops2:

Simple Gifts-Frank Ticheli
First Suite in E-flat-Gustav Holst
Incidental Suite-Claude T. Smith
Folk Dances-Dmitri Shostakovitch, arr. H. Robert Reynolds or Frank Erickson
Amparito Roca-Jaime Texidor, arr. Aubrey Winter

_________________
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx


Last edited by PGOK on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 pm
Posts: 545
Location: Phillips Ranch
PGOK wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
Simple Gifts--Tichelly
First Suite in Eb-- Shostakovitch
Incidental Suite-- (i forgot)
Folk Dances-- Holzt
Amparito Rocca-- (i forgot again)


Close:oops2:

Simple Gifts-Frank Ticheli
First Suite in E-flat-Gustav Holst
Incidental Suite-Claude T. Smith
Folk Dances-Dmitri Shostakovitch, arr. Donald Hunsberger
Amparito Roca-Jaime Texidor, arr. Aubrey Winter



are you correcting him or.. same school?

_________________
*Life is only what you make of it*

8th place shj trivia :(
03-04 Under the Double eagle
04-05 Army of the Nile
05-06 Fairest of the Fair

06-07 Ancient and honorable artillery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:53 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:57 pm
Posts: 1353
Tu134 wrote:
PGOK wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
Simple Gifts--Tichelly
First Suite in Eb-- Shostakovitch
Incidental Suite-- (i forgot)
Folk Dances-- Holzt
Amparito Rocca-- (i forgot again)


Close :oops2:

Simple Gifts-Frank Ticheli
First Suite in E-flat-Gustav Holst
Incidental Suite-Claude T. Smith
Folk Dances-Dmitri Shostakovitch, arr. Donald Hunsberger
Amparito Roca-Jaime Texidor, arr. Aubrey Winter



are you correcting him or.. same school?


You say correcting, I say informing-

_________________
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:29 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Amory
PGOK wrote:
Tu134 wrote:
PGOK wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
Simple Gifts--Tichelly
First Suite in Eb-- Shostakovitch
Incidental Suite-- (i forgot)
Folk Dances-- Holzt
Amparito Rocca-- (i forgot again)


Close :oops2:

Simple Gifts-Frank Ticheli
First Suite in E-flat-Gustav Holst
Incidental Suite-Claude T. Smith
Folk Dances-Dmitri Shostakovitch, arr. Donald Hunsberger
Amparito Roca-Jaime Texidor, arr. Aubrey Winter



are you correcting him or.. same school?


You say correcting, I say informing-


gimme a break! i'm doing this from memory. a memory that has never been good with names. thank you though.

_________________
Image

Cybernations


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:45 am 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:57 pm
Posts: 1353
Ex Nihilo wrote:
PGOK wrote:
Tu134 wrote:
PGOK wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
Simple Gifts--Tichelly
First Suite in Eb-- Shostakovitch
Incidental Suite-- (i forgot)
Folk Dances-- Holzt
Amparito Rocca-- (i forgot again)


Close :oops2:

Simple Gifts-Frank Ticheli
First Suite in E-flat-Gustav Holst
Incidental Suite-Claude T. Smith
Folk Dances-Dmitri Shostakovitch, arr. Donald Hunsberger
Amparito Roca-Jaime Texidor, arr. Aubrey Winter



are you correcting him or.. same school?


You say correcting, I say informing-


gimme a break! i'm doing this from memory. a memory that has never been good with names. thank you though.


I was not so much concerned about you, as I was other folks who might read this and think Gustav Holst wrote Folk Dances, etc. I can relate to your memory problem. I have the absolute worst memory. In fact, I will be editing my message, because Folk Dances was not arranged by Donald Hunsberger. He arranged Folk FESTIVAL by Shostakovitch. There are at least two arrangments of Folk Dances, one by H. Robert Reynolds and one by Frank Erickson.

_________________
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:52 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:13 pm
Posts: 896
Location: California
Folk Dances by Shostakovich is a fun song to play. I always enjoyed it; perhaps because the band director let us dance to the tuba quarter note soli that is like a minute or two into the piece. We also slowed down to like 60bpm there and slowly sped up to the real tempo. :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 am 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Amory
i say that my favorite is the First Suite in Eb... but i think that's only because i have the 1st cornet part.

_________________
Image

Cybernations


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:49 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 pm
Posts: 545
Location: Phillips Ranch
Ex Nihilo wrote:
i say that my favorite is the First Suite in Eb... but i think that's only because i have the 1st cornet part.



o_0 yes i love that piece.. the 3rd movement has to be my favorite :)

_________________
*Life is only what you make of it*

8th place shj trivia :(
03-04 Under the Double eagle
04-05 Army of the Nile
05-06 Fairest of the Fair

06-07 Ancient and honorable artillery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:37 am 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:32 pm
Posts: 24
Location: CHS
"variations on a Korean Folk Song". best piece ever, says el presidente. but i think its not as hard as it looks at first glance. true for a lot of things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:52 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:13 pm
Posts: 896
Location: California
Tu134 wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
i say that my favorite is the First Suite in Eb... but i think that's only because i have the 1st cornet part.



o_0 yes i love that piece.. the 3rd movement has to be my favorite :)


The march is definitely the best movement to that song. I used to love playing that part.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:07 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:12 pm
Posts: 39
Location: EDHS Band Room
ZJH wrote:
My director wants to do "American Overture" and "October" by Eric Whitacre for our competition set for festivals and the concert competition at the Vallejo Festival of Bands, but we haven't gotten our hands on the latter piece yet.


We just started working on "October". I love it because it sounds amazing, if you put enough emotion into the piece.

_________________
.:~*~:.El Dorado Golden Hawk Pride.:~*~:.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:11 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Amory
bassoonuba wrote:
Tu134 wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
i say that my favorite is the First Suite in Eb... but i think that's only because i have the 1st cornet part.



o_0 yes i love that piece.. the 3rd movement has to be my favorite :)


The march is definitely the best movement to that song. I used to love playing that part.


that's my second favorite. i like intermezzo the best. it makes me think of a pirate ship for some reason.

_________________
Image

Cybernations


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:15 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:41 pm
Posts: 920
Location: Chicago, IL
edhsflutieqt wrote:
ZJH wrote:
My director wants to do "American Overture" and "October" by Eric Whitacre for our competition set for festivals and the concert competition at the Vallejo Festival of Bands, but we haven't gotten our hands on the latter piece yet.


We just started working on "October". I love it because it sounds amazing, if you put enough emotion into the piece.

I know exactly what you mean. When played right, that piece will make me cry out of the sheer beauty of the piece. But yes, update for me:

We are now working on "American Overture for Band" by Joseph Willcox Jenkins, "October" by Eric Whitacre, "Folk Song Suite" by Ralph Vaughan Williams (only for our spring concert, not for competition or festival), "Hymn to the Fallen" by John Williams (transcribed for band), and we're hoping to get our hands on "Galop (from Moskow-Cheryomushki)" by Dmitri Shostakovich for our closing piece for competitions and festivals. If we can get it, it'll be so awesome. I love that piece to death.

_________________
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics