reverse engineer a song!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

reverse engineer a song!

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:55 am

w00t guys! i just reversed engineered the trumpet theme leave no man behind from the movie Black Hawk Down. when i played it through the first time with the mp3 man it was awesome. if only i had perfect pitch i would have found the notes MUCH faster. i found someone in band with very good IMO perfect pitch and he found the notes of LOTR trumpet theme for me just from listening to LOTR cd trumpet theme track(bridge of kazad-dum) track once! Always cool to play movie themes when no one else knows it. A really cool friend (lovablesheep) printed out music from Moorpark's show (chuck mangione) from getting a midi file of it! people hate me for playing that song way to much too just like the LOTR one

mrankimonki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mrankimonki » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:22 am

i tend to reverse engineer a lot of indian music i hear... and yeah... i WISH i had perfect pitch...but once i figure out the general key that the composer has used and where he's starting for the intervals and things start falling in ... UNLESS ITS A CRAZY FAST PIECE ahha:D but yes i still wish i had perfect pitch

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:26 pm

I do that to songs also... Or I find a midi file like IsnipeWithAknife said. It would be so cool to have perfect pitch, though. I think I have the opposite or something since I have a hard time telling when things are in tune and stuff like that.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:17 pm

finding out what key it is in makes it alot easier. i'm not good with all the different types of intervals mainly cuz i suck at music but i know in a pretty good range where the note lies so i'm not all that stupid.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

naw

Post by formermarcher » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 pm

Perfect pitch isn't as good as you think.
It'd work well for what you guys are talking about but there are other things.
I've got a degree of perfect pitch, and if you were to have any degree, you'd get your songs all perfect. And I mean all perfect.

By the time your done, you'd be frazzled with a nervous shock running through your body because everything has to perfect perfect perfect.

Then you'd end up like me...
I know you don't want that to happen.
:viking:

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Re: naw

Post by LovableSheep » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:56 pm

formermarcher wrote: Then you'd end up like me...
I know you don't want that to happen.
:viking:
No, we don't.