Show Division

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Show Division

Post by DMJUDGE » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:37 pm

Alright, this topic is for all of the "more experienced" drum majors in the forum. Do any of you have videos of the old show division from Tom Peacock's Competitions? I think that some of the current JH and HS drum majors, may be interested in them. OK, I might be asking for selfish reasons as well. Let us know

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:54 pm

its about time you think about bringing it back that was my favorite division. let me check my videos and i will get back to you on that...if you have any questions email me at iniphenom@gmail.com
Bad Boys of So Cal Forever

Death Waits for No One

"I might not dress like Satan but I am still down with the Devil"
"The Creatures of the night will devour your rotting soul"

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Show Division

Post by DMJUDGE » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:49 pm

How would you describe this division for those people that have no idea what we are talking about? Would any of the current drum majors be interested in competing in it? :?:
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 am

describe it well its there chance to show off the best moves and tricks that may not work on an L-pattern. you can use a flag, riffle, mace, baton and ive used puppets in my routine. can use almost and music you want you can dance. one time i did my routine to micheal jackson and imitated some of his moves. should have that one on tape. you can dress up to go with the theme of the music. thats the best i can describe it but it is fun. and its all done in a 90' by 90' square. i think there will be some drum majors that will do it.
Bad Boys of So Cal Forever

Death Waits for No One

"I might not dress like Satan but I am still down with the Devil"
"The Creatures of the night will devour your rotting soul"

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:47 pm

That sounds like it would be really interesting to watch! I bet there are some people out there who could be really creative and crazy, haha.
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMJUDGE » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:03 pm

It seems logical, especially since the Arcadia DM's already do something like this at their competition. I think Gladstone copied the idea as well.
Brennan England

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Ya, I think it would be cool to see who's out there that would do it. Just to clarify, is it a team event, or just one person? It sounded like one person until you said Arcadia and Gladstone do something like it...hmm...

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMJUDGE » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Why not both?
Brennan England

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:41 pm

SWEET! That would be incredible. Seriously, amazing. I'd go just to watch that!

uncheckedtrumpet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by uncheckedtrumpet » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 pm

Would this be something akin to what we see from southern college drum majors during halftime shows?
mt. carmel trumpet section :toot:

'04-'05 The Great Abyss
'05-'06 Music of David Holsinger
'06-'07 The Tempest (music of Samuel Barber)
'07-'08 Legend of the Fifth Sun (Music of Ginastera)

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Show

Post by DMJUDGE » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:04 am

The idea is the same but the execution would be different. It is still a drum major activity, dancing would probably frowned upon. It,however, gives the competitor the chance to use all of their skills, and creativity in one place to fully craft a routine to music. There are things that do not belong in an L-pattern, that students want to do, and this gives them that place to do it, i.e. high tosses, between the legs, etc.

This all dependent on how many people are interested. The reason the diviion died before was that it became less popular, and there were not enough people to fill out the divisions. So if you like the idea, get people interested.
Brennan England

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:49 pm

I could see why it could die, but I think initially everyone will be curious and interested. I think it could go over really well.

BariBigBird06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Huh?!

Post by BariBigBird06 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:29 am

It may just be my code, or the fact that it's 1:30. But what did we (Arcadia) do?
BiG BiRd
c/o 2006

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:23 am

I think the reference was to the group performances at the Arcadia L competition...am I right?

IDMI
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by IDMI » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:09 am

I think what Brennan is referring to is the fact that the styles today on the L do not reflect what "should be performed on parade" i.e. a clean conservative routine that doesn't encompass much of breaking military bearing like looking up for tosses.

I feel that the solo competition season should be the time to express creativity and the things that can't normally be expressed on parade, since the primary obligation is to the band.

There has been a huge decline in Drum Majors participating in the solo competitions. Certain things can be contributed to it such as the decreasing number of parade bands, resulting in less flourishing Drum Majors. More recently, I think another is the fact that Drum Majors are restricted from allowing difficulty and new things to be put into play.

Now, that's not to say that anyone will receive credit for doing something difficult, like a toss you need to look up for. But, you should receive credit if it is executed well with idle/free hands are paid attention to, body alignment vertical, hips aligned, shoulders back, etc.

It pains me to see that Drum Majoring has really taken the back seat to other genres in the performing arts because a certain number of egos think things should be, "this way and that way...it's wrong it's not done this way" instead of contributing a collective effort to help things advance.

An example of something that has progessed so incredibly well is Winter Guard. Why don't we look at their model? What is performed on parade is completely different than in winter season. The way difficulty AND execution in vocabulary on flags and weapons has advanced over time is AMAZING in contrast to Drum Majoring. Their art and sport has become nationalized and even globalized! Drum Majoring on the other hand, has been restricted to styles and format solely by region. The only type of Drum Major competition that has stayed consistent throughout the world is Scottish Highland Games (where the rules are dictated by the Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association). For those Drum Majors who have participated or are very familiar with Winter Guard, do you notice what they're doing and have done to make it such an educational and advancing art and sport?

Other than evaluating what is left of Drum Majoring and solo competitions, we should be looking outside for solutions and eliminate any sort of egotistical ideals that restrict us from advancing Drum Majoring.

Jason
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI)
www.idminstitute.com

Regimental Mace Company, LLC
www.regimentalmaceco.com