All of Mozart's music available for free online

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

All of Mozart's music available for free online

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:33 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - Mozart's year-long 250th birthday party is ending on a high note with the musical scores of his complete works available from Monday for the first time free on the Internet.

The International Mozart Foundation in Salzburg, Austria has put a scholarly edition of the bound volumes of Mozart's more than 600 works on a Web site.

The site allows visitors to find specific symphonies, arias or even single lines of text from some 24,000 pages of music.

"We had 45,000 hits in the first two hours...we would not have expected that," program director Ulrich Leisinger told Reuters in a telephone interview.

A user who types in "Pamina" from Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute" will see the music for all five arias she sings, as well as critical texts discussing those passages.

The version appearing on the Internet is a digitized copy of the "New Mozart Edition" published by Barenreiter, of Kassel, Germany.

It is considered the "gold standard" of Mozart editions and Leisinger said Barenreiter was paid $400,000 for the digital publication rights.

The financial backing came from the Packard Humanities Institute of Los Altos, California.

"We hope we will be able to convince other people besides us to present their original materials online as well," he said.

(Of course Yahoo didn't provide a link. Anyone want to look for it?)

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Crud!

Post by Chapagne » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:32 pm

Google searches of:
new mozart edition
international mozart foundation
Internationale Stiftung Mozarteum

turned up nothing...

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:45 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,389 ... 00,00.html
Mozart's entire musical score free on internet
12 December 2006

LONDON: Mozart's year-long 250th birthday party is ending on a high note with the musical scores of his complete works now available for the first time free on the Internet.

The International Mozart Foundation in Salzburg, Austria has put a scholarly edition of the bound volumes of Mozart's more than 600 works on a website http://dme.mozarteum.at.

The site allows visitors to find specific symphonies, arias or even single lines of text from some 24,000 pages of music.

"We had 45,000 hits in the first two hours...we would not have expected that," programme director Ulrich Leisinger told Reuters in a telephone interview.

A user who types in "Pamina" from Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute" will see the music for all five arias she sings, as well as critical texts discussing those passages.

The version appearing on the Internet is a digitised copy of the "New Mozart Edition" published by Barenreiter, of Kassel, Germany.

It is considered the "gold standard" of Mozart editions and Leisinger said Barenreiter was paid $US400,000 ($NZ590,842) for the digital publication rights.
The financial backing came from the Packard Humanities Institute of Los Altos, California.

"We hope we will be able to convince other people besides us to present their original materials online as well," he said.

The webiste they provided doesn't WORK!!!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm sure the site works.

Perhaps about 30% of the world is trying to access it.
-Stop global whining.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Yeah, it works...
NOTE: We are overvelmed by the resonance of this website. We regret any delays in accessing this site and are working on expanding our server capacities
Yes, their apology message really does say "overvelmed." :lol:

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:Yeah, it works...
NOTE: We are overvelmed by the resonance of this website. We regret any delays in accessing this site and are working on expanding our server capacities
well in german, w is called v... still pretty funny though.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:25 pm

Ex Nihilo wrote:
Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:Yeah, it works...
I realize my four years of high school German was a long time ago, but I can assure you they use the letter "w" also. ;)

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:30 am

Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:Yeah, it works... Yes, their apology message really does say "overvelmed." :lol:
I realize my four years of high school German was a long time ago, but I can assure you they use the letter "w" also. ;)
yes they do. but w is called "vee" and has a "v" sound whereas v itself is called "fowl" and has a light "f" sound.

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:09 am

Well, German enunciation aside...

The site seems to slowly be recovering from the blasting it took a couple of days ago. Im finally able to get good load times and starting to see some of the pages of the scores.

Only part that annoys me is that I cant figure the site out. Ill have to dig around for instructions.
That Flute playin' Tuba guy...

This is why Tubas rule

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:09 pm

did you try clicking the "view in english" button?