In Memorium: George Wong (Los Angeles Imperial Dragons)

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

In Memorium: George Wong (Los Angeles Imperial Dragons)

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:29 pm

The world of drum & bugle corps and marching pageantry has lost another 'great one'... George Wong, Manager and Director of the LOS ANGELES CHINESE IMPERIAL DRAGONS drum & bugle corps passed away this week.
One of the West Coasts best known and most highly respected corps personalities, many will remember him as the genius behind the ORIENTAL ODYSSEY drum & bugle corps contest... 'you know.. the one where the crowd was comprised of the citizens of Chinatown, and Southern California.. and they served Chinese and Asian Foods...'
I knew George and his family (including mom and pop, His brothers and his wife Fay and son Michael) for many years.. George was one of the first people to welcome me to California. I worked on the staff of the Imperial Dragons the first 3 years I was in California. I served as Master of Ceremonies at the Odyssey for several years... and manned the phones for ticket sales and publicity.
George was not a musician.. his forte was organization and a smooth running corps and staff... Over the years, the corps became known internationally for their tours and trips.. They represented California at the American Legion Nationals held in Honolulu.. they played on the steps of the US Capital Building and visited New York, Philadelphia and other historical spots so the 'Chinese Kids' from LA could see their country....
In recent history, George developed a very bad case of Diabetes. But his constant Dialysis, and medical needs never got him down.. As recently as this years Pacific Crest show at Glendora in July.. George attended, and spent time meeting and greeting so many of his friends.
I know I am part of a great gathering of drum corps people who considor myself blessed for having known and worked with and been a friend of George Wong.
We will get back to this site later, with more biographical information when it becomes available...

posted by Harvey@worldofpageantry.com