Pluto and Earth

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

roan520
Rookie
Rookie

Pluto and Earth

Post by roan520 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:17 pm

So i was looking online for "The Planets" by: Gustav Holst arranged for marching band. In my look I found the Plantes Earth and Pluto, now i had a CD of the planets and I don't remeber seeing Earth or pluto as one of the plantes. Did Gustav Holst create a song for Earth and/or Pluto?

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:47 pm

Remember, Pluto is no longer a planet!

Also, if I am not mistaken, Pluto was discovered in 1930. Holst wrote The Planets between 1914 and 1916.
Soldiering On!

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Holst did not write Pluto as it wasn't discovered at the time and didn't write Earth because...well, I'm not exactly sure why, maybe because we're not as cool as the other planets.

However, I think some other composers have gone back and tried to compose pieces for Earth and Pluto. I haven't heard them...but I'm not sure that I want to because I already like the suite the way it is.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Confirmation

Post by PGOK » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Yes, the Planets was written before the discovery of Pluto. Yes, someone has written a "Pluto" movement for the Planets. "Pluto, the Renewer" was written by Colin Matthews.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong...

We live on Earth, and it does not have a mythological name, so it does not fit in with the other movements.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Planets update

Post by PGOK » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:23 pm

The Berlin Philharmonic is releasing a CD of "The Planets" with the added Pluto movement and a companion suite called "Asteroids" written by four composers:

Asteroid 4179 - Toutatis (Kaija Saariaho)
Towards Osiris (Matthias Pintscher)
Ceres (Mark-Anthony Turnage)
Komarov's Fall (Brett Dean)
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:18 am

Ok, Im a big fan of the Planets. I have the LA Phil's recording under Zubin Metha and the score book that I found on Amazon.

The reason for pluto not being included has been stated and is correct.

Now, contrary to popular belief, the movements do not make a musical portrait of the actual planet. They actually are Holst's representation, through music, of a person's personality who was born under that planet. So, those born under mars would be "Bringers of War", or rather confrontational I guess. So, for this reason, there is no "Earth" movement as one could not be born under it.

I can not get enough of The Planets. I am hoping to see it twice after the new year, once by the LA Phil and once at CSUF. And I also consider it a well spent 35 mins to sit and follow along in the score with the suite blasting on my stereo.

Hope this helps.

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:17 pm

Yeah...pluto = not discovered yet.

And it's not even a planet now. :evil:
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

barisaxy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by barisaxy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 pm

The reason why Holst decided not to write a composition for Pluto was because he thought the addition would ruin the success of his already famous suite.
Personally, I believe you need a more upbeat song after a piece that features a chorus playing long held notes.
But that's just me.
Trabuco Hills Marching Band

'05 In Search of the White Whale
'06 Luminosity

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm

barisaxy wrote:The reason why Holst decided not to write a composition for Pluto was because he thought the addition would ruin the success of his already famous suite.
Personally, I believe you need a more upbeat song after a piece that features a chorus playing long held notes.
But that's just me.
The chorus is off stage, and they fade out (by closing a door). The ending chords repeat and NEVER resolve. That's the whole point-going past the end of the known solar system into the unknown. Then ending is possibly the most brilliant aprt of the entire composition. A "Plutro" movement is a fun idea, but adds nothing to the composition.

— Groucho Marx

duane v
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by duane v » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:51 pm

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:Remember, Pluto is no longer a planet!
ya know, I really counted on Disney to put up a fight with the science community on that one. Especially since one of the more popular Disney characters was named after the little ex-planet :cry:

thegodfaughnder
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thegodfaughnder » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 pm

I'm glad pluto's no longer a planet because it makes Holt's suite complete
Cymbal Line '03-'04
Bass # 3 '04-'05
Bass # 4 '05-'06
Tenorline '06-'07
University of the Pacific MMGT Major

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:37 am

thegodfaughnder wrote:I'm glad pluto's no longer a planet because it makes Holt's suite complete
Bravo! :clap2:

— Groucho Marx