Horn line captains/sergeants

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

bugledog
New Recruit
New Recruit

Horn line captains/sergeants

Post by bugledog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Hello everyone,

i was just wondering where all the Hornline leaders are?

anyone know some history about the role of the HC/HS?
there's stuff all over the place about Drum Majors but little around about this role.
the Platinum Sound
Horn Captain 2006-07

WildMooseStyle
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WildMooseStyle » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:22 pm

I was hornline captain last year. The job description was to help the drum major(s) or do their job in their absence, in a gist. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but my contact info is here. I'll check back I guess. Your position is what you make of it.
Solid Gold Sound

'05-'06: Trumpet Section Leader, Hornline Captain
'06-'07: Drum Major
'07-'08: UCLA 1st Trumpet

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Horn line captains/sergeants

Post by MoophoniumMan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:00 pm

bugledog wrote:Hello everyone,

i was just wondering where all the Hornline leaders are?

anyone know some history about the role of the HC/HS?
there's stuff all over the place about Drum Majors but little around about this role.
Maybe it's not as common of a leadership position as drum major or section leader. I know in my band no one has that title... I'm assuming it's that way in a lot of bands.

I would be interested in hearing more about hornline leaders if anyone could enlighten.

Moose is right, though, your position is what you make of it.

bugledog
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bugledog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:57 pm

i'm really looking for any historical information about the role of horn captains.

there is a lot of written history on the position of drum major and how it came to be...not so much for HC. i know very well what my role was with my band this season...very similar to others...help the DM's, conduct horn warm up, clean up after rehearsal, organize the section leaders, arrange an on field warm up for the band to play as well as conduct the on field warm up, and lead in the absence of drum majors.

just looking for the same type of community that drum majors seem to have with each other.
the Platinum Sound
Horn Captain 2006-07