Seniority?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Is seniority a good thing?

Yes
42%
No
11%
It Depends
43%
Only on the weekends :)
4%

Total votes: 53

deja0entendu
New Recruit
New Recruit

Seniority?

Post by deja0entendu » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Do you think it's a good system?
I do, in most cases at least

I'm curious to see other people's points of view on it

I need inspiration to explain why, so yea... i'll wait until I disagree with someone...
"See, on one side of the snareline, we got me and you, Peaches, boys, good players, on the other we got girls, mmm, and in the middle we got JC, who's a bit of both"
www.myspace.com/dyingtoseeyoufail

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:26 pm

Seniority my freshmen year was a big deal to the Seniors, but now that i'm a senior, I find that it doesn't really matter. However, there are times where it is good (i.e. getting excused from fb games, buses, check-in etc.) I guess it depends on what the previous upperclassmen did that determines whether it's "good or not."

Our freshmen guys are required to help load and unload the equipment truck, and they're usually the last ones to get drinks and food after we perform, but we went to a comp. earlier this season and it was probably in the 90s, hot to say the least. The rest of the band doesn't eat until everything is packed up and loaded, so by the time they finished, you could tell they were extremely drained of energy. So, being the nice seniors that we are, we let the freshmen get their meals first...and there weren't any complaints with the rest of the classes, but instead we all clapped and thanked them. Hopefully, the seniors after us will treat all the underclassmen with respect like they treat us.

wind-drummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by wind-drummer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:55 pm

I personally like seniority (cause I'm a senior). I've been in our band since I was a freshmen and our director has always talked about seniority (buses, food, etc.) and that at the last Band Review or competition that we should do it for them instead of ourselves. Now that i'm a senior i'm thankful for the lower classes and what they've done for us. I'm considering getting them breakfast for our last BR.
Do It!! You Won't!!

echs-sackbut
Rookie
Rookie

Post by echs-sackbut » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:53 pm

A few questions... Did you as a lower classmen ever like seniority? Did it benefit you as a lower classmen? Did it pertain to the band? Or did it just pertain to making one group of people feel good? Does it benefit the band in any way?
In my band, most traditions and seniority things never helped the band. In fact, it caused a few bad feelings of people. It made one group of people feel good while making everyone else suffer. As a senior I still don't agree with seniority. When people in band are intertwined and in friendships is when it's best. That way you don't have to worry about getting a seat on a bus or something. Because you're friend is nice enough to save you one, just as I would for my friends.
As for doing other things, if the band has to do it I think everyone has to do it. Our band hasn't had seniority, freshman initiation, or anything of the sort for 4 years now. It dissipated, and now people feel comfortable around people and aren't afraid to ask questions. It gives it a family feel, without the mean sibling feeling.
never Bb, never B#, always Bnatural (with a little natural sign)

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Seniority.... There's a good and bad to everything so here is what i think..

The good thing: It motivates the underclassmen by making them strive for the best and become a senior. So basically, when i was a freshman i wanted to become a senior so I can have certain privileges. I think seniority just means you're older and wiser than the underclassmen. You have been through a lot that they have not experienced so you as a senior take what you know and use the privileges to teach the underclassmen so they can become better musicians and people and make the band better :-D Seniority also solves problems like... An underclassman and a senior both have the same abilities.. both goo dand what not.. who gets the better part??? the senior of course. It is their last year.

The bad thing: It kind of sucks how some seniors take advantage of it. Lets say... "I'm a senior so you underclassmen have to listen to me and not talk back to me. " This causes problem in the leadership area. HUMILITY!!!!! Some seniors.. well I say most seniors lack that characteristic because of seniority. They dont take in consideration what they are doing wrong and just assume theyre right because they are too embarrass to admit it.
Another bad thing about seniority is that it causes a lot of problems. Seniors getting something that they REALLY DON"T DESERVE! For example: Why should a senior go to a pep game if they do not even know their music or even show up to rehearsals and what not.. while an underclassmen knows their music well and shows up to everything. Some seniors use their seniority privileges to put down some underclassmen and i think that SHOULD NOT happen.

Another thing. but this is kind of neutral (KIND OF). People who join band their 2nd ord 3rd year in high school. When they become a senior.. they're not "seniors" in band. They haven't beenthrough what the 4 year seniors been through. So i honestly dont think they should get that privilege if they do not deserve it. They must show what they deserve in the years they serve in band lol.

As I voted.. Seniority Depends... It's not a DEFINITE yes and it's not a definite NO. You just have to look at the big picture and rule out what's right and what's not. There should be guidlines to them.
I am sorry if I offended anybody but that is my opinion. I can go on on this subject but if u understood what i wrote.. you know where i'm going.
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

uncheckedtrumpet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by uncheckedtrumpet » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:40 pm

It's been four years.

I say, give it to them! (and I've said that since I was a freshman).
mt. carmel trumpet section :toot:

'04-'05 The Great Abyss
'05-'06 Music of David Holsinger
'06-'07 The Tempest (music of Samuel Barber)
'07-'08 Legend of the Fifth Sun (Music of Ginastera)

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:50 am

i'll say one thing. age is no factor in ANYTHING. you're one year closer to dying than me, have a gold star! why is the voting age 18? the morning of your 18th birthday, do you suddenly become enlightened and informed? what the hell is the difference?!?! it doesn't matter how old you are. in the words of Jack Sparrow: "All that matters is what a man can do and what a man can't do." if a senior tells a freshman to get out of a seat on the bus and the freshman tells him to take his tuba and put it someplace, the seat should go to whoever wins the resulting fight. there are no freshmen bandmembers, there are no sophpmore, junior or senior bandmembers either. it is one band.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 am

Ex Nihilo wrote:i'll say one thing. age is no factor in ANYTHING. you're one year closer to dying than me, have a gold star! why is the voting age 18? the morning of your 18th birthday, do you suddenly become enlightened and informed? what the hell is the difference?!?! it doesn't matter how old you are. in the words of Jack Sparrow: "All that matters is what a man can do and what a man can't do." if a senior tells a freshman to get out of a seat on the bus and the freshman tells him to take his tuba and put it someplace, the seat should go to whoever wins the resulting fight. there are no freshmen bandmembers, there are no sophpmore, junior or senior bandmembers either. it is one band.
Actually you're comparing apples to oranges. It DOES make a difference and I'm glad kids aren't allowed to vote. It's bad enough adults screw it up--with kids, it would only be worse.

Let the hate mail begin. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In any event, back in 1980 after marching band season had come to an end, I auditioned for the Symphonic Band. I believe it was in December before Christmas Break (uhhhhhhh oh...I said CHRISTMAS!!! Let more hate mail begin...). Anyway, my band director at the time had put out a plea to anyone that wanted to play euphonium. So, during 1st semester, on my own, I learned how to play euphonium. Still played trombone in marching band. But was learning on my own. I had one of those Yahama YSL-4 valve jobbers. VERY cool horn by the way. ANYWAY--I auditioned.

The director told me, "You're lucky. Normally I don't let under classmen into symphonic band. But I need you and you play well." So seniority sort of sucks in my opinion on it's own merit when you have a clearly identified person who has skill, determination, and motivation to "be better". That should count A LOT.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:43 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:i'll say one thing. age is no factor in ANYTHING. you're one year closer to dying than me, have a gold star! why is the voting age 18? the morning of your 18th birthday, do you suddenly become enlightened and informed? what the hell is the difference?!?! it doesn't matter how old you are. in the words of Jack Sparrow: "All that matters is what a man can do and what a man can't do." if a senior tells a freshman to get out of a seat on the bus and the freshman tells him to take his tuba and put it someplace, the seat should go to whoever wins the resulting fight. there are no freshmen bandmembers, there are no sophpmore, junior or senior bandmembers either. it is one band.
Actually you're comparing apples to oranges. It DOES make a difference and I'm glad kids aren't allowed to vote. It's bad enough adults screw it up--with kids, it would only be worse.
all i was saying is that there is no difference between being seventeen one day and eighteen the next. and a lot of the time it makes no difference between 18 and 40 they can be just as dumb! i'm not comparing apples and oranges. i'm comparing fruit.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:00 am

So in essence you're saying we're all fruity?

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:07 pm

I think seniority can be good as well as bad. For example, if an underclassman(let's say a freshman) and an upperclassman(senior) are equally matched skill-wise, then it seems only fair to allow the upperclassman the opportunity since the underclassman will likely have another opportunity down the road.

But, it only works in some cases. What if the senior has a bad attitude, but is a GREAT player, and the freshman has a good attitude and is also a GREAT player? Well, then go with the freshman. You know he/she can do the job you need them to do, as well as have a good attitude while accomplishing it. It really just depends.

I think it's hard to come up with a fast and strong rule when it comes to seniority. It's a topic that each person differs on, even if just a little. It's common to hear older students campaign for it, because it benefits them, but I know that if I were the freshman who didn't get chosen when I was the better candidate than the senior, I'd be a little confused and frustrated.

It's just a hard topic in general.

Hope that helps. =)
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

MCtrumpet007
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MCtrumpet007 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:54 am

weeeellll i don't know. i personally think it's dumb when it's something like calling it just to get to the front of the line. I think it's dumb and i have never done it. But for other things, like being the first to be released to go change into uniform for the last performance, definitely.
Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevil
Trumpet Section Leader '05 & '06 (sundevil forever)

"Gloria" 2003
"The Great Abyss" 2004
"The Music of David Holsinger" 2005
"The Tempest" 2006

Little_Drummer_Boy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Little_Drummer_Boy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:06 am

I have a question that I've been having to deal with lately.

Should seniority be over section leader authority?

For instance, I am section leader of the snares in my drumline. I am not an upperclassman. If I see something blatantly wrong in the tenor line, I usually adress it even though I am not section leader of the tenors. There is a senior in the tenor line who is not section leader but gets mad when I adress something to the them. He tells me to mind my own section, yet he says he can adress my section, and any other section in band because of seniority.

Thoughts.
"..and with every passing day..were throwing up our fists..this feels right to us...livin' to the fullest!"
07-08 Center Snare- Battery Captain SHHS
06-07 Center Snare-South Hills High School
05-06 Snare Line South Hills High School

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:40 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:So in essence you're saying we're all fruity?
yes, Mr. Turner, we're all fruity.

and for those of you who are Red vs Blue fans: "Yes, Caboose, I'm a gay robot."

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:23 am

Little_Drummer_Boy wrote:I have a question that I've been having to deal with lately.

Should seniority be over section leader authority?

For instance, I am section leader of the snares in my drumline. I am not an upperclassman. If I see something blatantly wrong in the tenor line, I usually adress it even though I am not section leader of the tenors. There is a senior in the tenor line who is not section leader but gets mad when I adress something to the them. He tells me to mind my own section, yet he says he can adress my section, and any other section in band because of seniority.

Thoughts.
No. You're a section leader for a reason. But it should come to a balance. he listens to what you have to say and you do the same for him. that way a problem has a less chance of starting.
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...