2003 Drum Corp World Championships

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

drumr2437
New Recruit
New Recruit

2003 Drum Corp World Championships

Post by drumr2437 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:37 pm

Ok lets see tomorrow is the start for the Div II/III championships so who are u going for towards winning the tittle? I think i would have to go with Esperanza for Div II. I dont know about Div III corps. But I know that when the Div I champs start my bet is for BD all the way!

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:25 pm

I'm rooting for Esperanza as well.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:31 pm

Umm, I'll go with Blue Stars for III, and Esperanza or Blue Devils B for II. Just guesses, I don't really follow divisions II/III.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

drumr2437
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumr2437 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:41 pm

If only Vanguard Cadets went to finals this year they could of easily won the DIV II champs. But I chose Esperanza because i see them as second best.

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SoCalBandFan » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:53 pm

drumr2437 wrote:If only Vanguard Cadets went to finals this year they could of easily won the DIV II champs. But I chose Esperanza because i see them as second best.
Easily.......um, no. I really don't think so. In the hunt, yes.

In Div III I'm hoping Yamatto has enough to catch Blue Stars. You gotta be able to hope.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am

drumr2437 wrote:If only Vanguard Cadets went to finals this year they could of easily won the DIV II champs. But I chose Esperanza because i see them as second best.
No. I like the SCV Cadets' show, but they're a big step behind Esperanza (which is, so far, undefeated this season).

Division I will be between Blue Devils and Cavaliers. I'm going with the Blue Devils to take home the title.

Division II will be madness: Esperanza, Spartans, and Patriots all have a legitimate shot . I'm sticking with Esperanza as my pick, though.

Division III is pretty much locked up. The Blue Stars will take the Division III crown. As much as I'd like to see Yamato pull off a California trifecta (with Esperanza and BD, all three champions would be from CA -- that would be a kick), I think they'll be a distant second.

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SoCalBandFan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:38 am

Phantom Phan wrote: Division III is pretty much locked up. The Blue Stars will take the Division III crown. As much as I'd like to see Yamato pull off a California trifecta (with Esperanza and BD, all three champions would be from CA -- that would be a kick), I think they'll be a distant second.
I'm not sure what you're considering "distant", as Yamatto has been closing the gap the last 2-3 shows. At Valdosta they finished 2 pts behind 86.10 to 84.10. I do realize it's a long shot but crazier things have happened.

Okay, my son playing with Yamatto may have distorted my objectivity a bit but I have seen their scores improve at a greater rate then the Blue Stars over the last week.

Let's see if their scores are a little closer at prelims tonight. I suppose that will be a sign that there's a chance for the California trifecta you mentioned.

Tyler
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:53 am

SoCalBandFan wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote: Division III is pretty much locked up. The Blue Stars will take the Division III crown. As much as I'd like to see Yamato pull off a California trifecta (with Esperanza and BD, all three champions would be from CA -- that would be a kick), I think they'll be a distant second.
I'm not sure what you're considering "distant", as Yamatto has been closing the gap the last 2-3 shows. At Valdosta they finished 2 pts behind 86.10 to 84.10. I do realize it's a long shot but crazier things have happened.

Okay, my son playing with Yamatto may have distorted my objectivity a bit but I have seen their scores improve at a greater rate then the Blue Stars over the last week.
i agree with phantom, blue stars are going to take it

socalbandfan,
imho 2 points behind is a distant second

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SoCalBandFan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:01 am

That was my question, what was considered distant? I still feel they will cut into that margin before all is said and done.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:09 am

Division I is so hard to call for me right now...on one hand, as Phantom has mentioned, Blue Devils and The Cavaliers are in a tug-of-war right now for the top 2 spots, with The Cadets closing the gap behind them. Then in the middle, Phantom Regiment has been dominating, but lately SCV has caught up with them and gotten a bit ahead. Don't even get me started on the 6th-9th place contenders!

This has been my first year following everything that's going on in DCI. I was hooked after watching last year's Championships on PBS and watching The Cavaliers, so now I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of drum corps. I'm glad that this has been my first year following it because it's exciting to know that "anything goes" and the Div. 1 corps are battling it out continually for a spot. It's been really hard for me to pick a favorite corps too.

Anyway, this summer has been exciting to follow, and it's sad that it's about to end soon...DCI Championships and the end of the season for drum corps is also for me the end of summer, as next week band camp will begin. It's been fun to watch, and hopefully next year I'll be in Denver to witness the "end of summer" for myself, live.

Oh yeah...I'm going with Blue Devils to win. Go BD! :D
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SoCalBandFan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:07 pm

Tyler wrote:

i agree with phantom, blue stars are going to take it.
socalbandfan,
imho 2 points behind is a distant second[/quote]

Teal Sound has just scored an 80.00. 5.55 pts higher then their last show in Jacksonville and 2.60 pts higher then their show in Tarboro. Suddenly 2 points doesn't seem all that out of reach.

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SoCalBandFan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:14 pm

Yamatto 86.35!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Job Guys!

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:05 pm

I think The Cadets have a good chance of getting 2nd, they weren't that far behind from The Cavaliers after this weekend. It'd be quite a shocker, but that'd be amazing if Cadets can bump Cavies into 3rd place.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS