Award Salutes

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Band geek 06

Post by Band geek 06 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:51 pm

the coolest salute i saw was when the drum major begins his regular salute but then the drum captain ran out and "stabbed" him to death. every one in the stadioum was shocked until we realized that the stabbed guy was actually the drum captain

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Band geek 06 wrote:the coolest salute i saw was when the drum major begins his regular salute but then the drum captain ran out and "stabbed" him to death. every one in the stadioum was shocked until we realized that the stabbed guy was actually the drum captain
I'm confused :dno:

:think:
Soldiering On!

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:08 am

This year at least at one awards ceremony I'm gonna have a "fun" salute. I mean, I'm all for corps style punch and go, and sometimes I mix in a little bit of flourish in there, but oh, pop and lock routines are so tempting.....
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoophoniumMan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:41 pm

Does anyone salute on the actual field before the show starts?
I don't think I've seen any SCSBOA drum majors do that.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm

Don't think so.. mainly because the Drum Major doesn't even have to conduct in SCSBOA.. but I may be wrong..
Soldiering On!

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:47 pm

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:Don't think so.. mainly because the Drum Major doesn't even have to conduct in SCSBOA.. but I may be wrong..
I do believe it's optional, as Mr. Cole conducts Rancho Bernardo on the field, I believe. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 pm

ZJH wrote:
FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:Don't think so.. mainly because the Drum Major doesn't even have to conduct in SCSBOA.. but I may be wrong..
I do believe it's optional, as Mr. Cole conducts Rancho Bernardo on the field, I believe. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
I think the MC band director conducts them rather than the drum major... again.. correct me if i'm wrong.
Soldiering On!

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:58 pm

correct you are. i believe poway salutes though.
drummer

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:54 pm

Most of the very best field bands in SCSBOA are conducted by their band director.... hence their title - "band director". They include but are not limited to the following bands:

Arcadia
Chino
Diamond Bar
El Dorado
Kennedy
Mt. Carmel
Rancho Bernardo
Riverside King
Vista

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

xrichster04x
Veteran
Veteran

Post by xrichster04x » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:31 am

if you've seen Kennesaw Mountain's 2003 show from skrampsnewplace i think thats pretty much the coolest one ive seen
WoP Silver Medalist Season 2

Saratoga High School

'04 Liturgical Sketches (Triumph!)
'05 The Wind and the Lion
'06 The Process of Invention
'07 Boundless

bassclarinet/bassoonist
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bassclarinet/bassoonist » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:45 pm

vore wrote:Most of the very best field bands in SCSBOA are conducted by their band director.... hence their title - "band director". They include but are not limited to the following bands:

Arcadia
Chino
Diamond Bar
El Dorado
Kennedy
Mt. Carmel
Rancho Bernardo
Riverside King
Vista

vore 8-)

Yes I am in one of those programs up there and I think band directors should conduct there band because like vore said they are the "band director" HA HA. And its to much pressure on one of us high school drum majors who are just young musicians to conduct a show. Because honestly a director who has been in the game for 26 years or so most likely wont lose the beat or any thing of the sort and has a lot more experience with technical patterns or music that changes meters every measure back and forth (4/4 3/4 4/4 3/4). Now I do think it would be totally fun to conduct any thing with our program but the pressure of messing something up is probably really nerve wrecking. So I am not totally bummed I wont get to conduct.

xrichster04x
Veteran
Veteran

Post by xrichster04x » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:13 pm

I'd have to say that most of the BOA Grand National Finalist bands have fairly pretty good salutes
WoP Silver Medalist Season 2

Saratoga High School

'04 Liturgical Sketches (Triumph!)
'05 The Wind and the Lion
'06 The Process of Invention
'07 Boundless

uncheckedtrumpet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by uncheckedtrumpet » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:38 pm

Vanguard salute. PURE POWER :maul: I like traditional salutes during awards. Although I have absolute nothing against (I actually support it) having a bit of fun with the salute routine at the very last tournament when you salute your band after awards.
mt. carmel trumpet section :toot:

'04-'05 The Great Abyss
'05-'06 Music of David Holsinger
'06-'07 The Tempest (music of Samuel Barber)
'07-'08 Legend of the Fifth Sun (Music of Ginastera)

DmTy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DmTy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:44 pm

bassclarinet/bassoonist wrote: Yes I am in one of those programs up there and I think band directors should conduct there band because like vore said they are the "band director" HA HA. And its to much pressure on one of us high school drum majors who are just young musicians to conduct a show. Now I do think it would be totally fun to conduct any thing with our program but the pressure of messing something up is probably really nerve wrecking. So I am not totally bummed I wont get to conduct.
*Shortened for space management*

So basically I totally disagree with this idea. As a member of a band that does allow students to conduct and as one of those students, I feel that conducting the band is by far the most rewarding experience an individual can have. As the conductor, you are in fact, as stated above, in charge of tempo and basically making the show work well. However, to base the idea that students should not conduct due to this "pressure factor" is completely fictitious in my opinion. To become a F. conducting Drum Major we had to audition to show that we could handle the band*it was a live conducting session* and show our leadership abilities of control. Therefore, this process, in theory weeded out those who could not handle this pressure. Also since band is a STUDENT based activity I strongly feel that it should be STUDENT run and STUDENT led. Just as in the NFL *go chargers* Marty Schottenheimer doesn’t go out and act as QB, rather he aids the players and makes decisions on HOW the team should work, rather than physically showing them. Therefore, whenever I see a band led by the director I almost cringe because i feel, in my opinion, that it’s almost a sacrilege to the idea that is High School Band. Just my .02 :lol:
RBVHS DM 2006/2007

the_scot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by the_scot » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:18 pm

:stupid: Except you're not stupid. Conducting is one of the most fun things to do in a field show. Not to mention you get your own entire caption for DMs.

As for my salute, I usually just do a punch with a slow draw to the salute. Hardcore (IMO).
Granite Bay High School Emerald Brigade
Assistant Drum Major '05-'06
Euphonium/Tuba Section Leader