Hi I'm Mike...and I'm a Disneylandaholic.

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: space mountain

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:21 am

go_gumby wrote:Just to answer the question about space mountain..... they closed it because they are remodeling it!!! Building loops in it!!! yay!!!! Also making sure the music works.
Yeah, it's a big task, too, because it's a confined area and the foundations for the building (and the ride) start two stories below ground. :shock:

The full story is this: early last year, Disneyland safety inspectors starting noticing cracks in the supports and tracks for Space Mountain. The ride was closed intermittantly until they determined the full extent of the problem. Evidently, the damage was caused by the adding of the soundsystem in each car around 1997 or so. The extra weight caused the cars center of gravity to change and the unevenness made the track wear out prematurely.

Deciding the ride was now a safety hazard, Disney closed down Space Mountain without so much as a farewell day. When Disney started looking into repairing/renovating the ride, they determined that the cost of it would be so extreme that they might as well redesign the whole ride.

I'm looking forward to the New Space Mountain... unfortunately, it won't be unveiled until Disneyland's 50th Anniversary... in 2005! :cry:

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:32 am

very nice... I'll be sure to check it out when it is done. Should be fun...
OHS '01 - '05

Indiana
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: space mountain

Post by Indiana » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:38 am

Phantom Phan wrote:
go_gumby wrote:Just to answer the question about space mountain..... they closed it because they are remodeling it!!! Building loops in it!!! yay!!!! Also making sure the music works.
Yeah, it's a big task, too, because it's a confined area and the foundations for the building (and the ride) start two stories below ground. :shock:

The full story is this: early last year, Disneyland safety inspectors starting noticing cracks in the supports and tracks for Space Mountain. The ride was closed intermittantly until they determined the full extent of the problem. Evidently, the damage was caused by the adding of the soundsystem in each car around 1997 or so. The extra weight caused the cars center of gravity to change and the unevenness made the track wear out prematurely.

Deciding the ride was now a safety hazard, Disney closed down Space Mountain without so much as a farewell day. When Disney started looking into repairing/renovating the ride, they determined that the cost of it would be so extreme that they might as well redesign the whole ride.

I'm looking forward to the New Space Mountain... unfortunately, it won't be unveiled until Disneyland's 50th Anniversary... in 2005! :cry:
Well said, Phantom Phan....
Mouseplanet? lol...
When you wish upon a star....

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:52 pm

yeah, our performances have been getting earlier and earlier. My 8th grade, we went on at like 8:00, my frosh was at 6:00 and I think this year was at like 2 or 4. I can't remember. My 8th grade one sucked because one of the girls in our band was high or something and set off the fire alarm. So being half dressed and having a stampede of girls running out of the locker room thing isn't exactly fun.
OHS '01 - '05

RBgiiiiirl

Post by RBgiiiiirl » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:58 pm

You're lucky you guys got to perfrom at disneyland! I wish i was able to do that! I marched in the Rose Parade but I really didnt enjoy it at all. how do bands get chosen to do stuff at Disneyland anyhow?
Ain't nothin like an rb party.... HEEEEEEELLLL YAH

04 seniors
COLORGUUUARD

Indiana
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Indiana » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:26 pm

You basically have to send in a video and some stuff as an audition tape thingy...((i'm running on no sleep here...can't type correctly))
So yeah, you audition and then you're chosed to perform...
Unless you're SCV, BK, and Seattle Cascades in '02 and you just, according to City Hall "show up." lol
When you wish upon a star....

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:37 pm

RBgiiiiirl wrote:You're lucky you guys got to perfrom at disneyland! I wish i was able to do that! I marched in the Rose Parade but I really didnt enjoy it at all. how do bands get chosen to do stuff at Disneyland anyhow?
Yeah you were a frosh my senior year and we were at Dland I think my soph or junior year. I guess Mr. Cole signed us up somehow for Dland.

The Rose Parade was fun cuz of New Year's Eve in the hotel. The parade itself to me was like a test of strength that I don't want to do again but it's still cool to say you marched in the Rose Parade.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:50 pm

Wow performing at disneyland would be fun. I like it a lot, especially since my best friend is handicapped and we get to go to the front! I don't want it to sound like I'm glad he's handicapped or anything, but there are advantages ;)

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:59 pm

People say it's fun..and I'll admit, it is. But like someone said earlier, it can sometimes run into your fun time of riding the rides and stuff. But it's still cool. If you ever get a chance to perform, then congrats because it's a fun parade to do and it's fun to tell people that you were in the parade cuz then they want to get a picture takin with you in uniform... but they can't cuz everythings packed up. Oh! But if you do get a chance to perform, come prepared... my adice is have everything you don't need a room to change into somewhere and then hurry up and change into what you do need a room for... reasons are explained above.
OHS '01 - '05

mytree003
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mytree003 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:36 am

Speaking of Disneyland, I'm going today! :) I guess it's not too big of a deal. I live in the Land of Mouse and my step dad manages the hotels. I get to go in for free. ANd I march the parade with my school every February. I also work there now. If you ever go to Disneyland on the weekend from about 11-5 I should be working at a store called Basin. I'll be happy to show you all of the bath bombs and soaps, especially if you're from WOP.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:18 pm

Holy cow! If Space Mountain stayed the way it was (near total darkness) except with all those loops...that could be one scary, but fun as heck ride!

Disneyland is fun though. It's a good place to go when you're not seeking the over-stimulating thrills that Six Flags and other parks have to offer. I'm looking forward to going back again when I have to perform there next year. Or maybe I'll go sooner?? :P

Disneyland's awesome...what does everything think of California Adventure though??
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:10 pm

I dig California Adventure. A guy I went to high school with got us free passes last weekend. Think it's a little outrageous that they charge the same price of admission as Disneyland, but I liked Condor Flats (I think that's what it was called, anyway), and the painted walls that look like they go on. I like the hyperion theater they have.

We performed there last year too; after we were done I was like, "Woo hoo! I'm home!", called up my folks, and went home. A number of people didn't stick around after seeing Blast.. It was kinda cool though, I thought the dressing room was nice. The host guy was cool and seemed pretty drum corps savvy.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:42 pm

I miss Blast! at the Hyperion. :cry: I enjoyed it, even though it was a short show. All the musicians there were as good as the touring musicians. Also at the time, a guy that was brass instructor at my school performed in the show playing lead trumpet, so it made the show for me a bit more enjoyable. :D
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS