no
41%

Total votes: 22

guardguy18
New Recruit
New Recruit

Pacific Crest Div 1 Ready?

Post by guardguy18 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:15 am

Anyone have any views of Pacific Crest and how they will do in Orlando?
Last edited by guardguy18 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tyler » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:45 am

big deal. thats a little unfair to say that about them. they beat the mandarins tonight in glendora, so now are you going to say the mandarins aren't div 1 worthy as well? so many of may realize they aren't a top 5 corps like the 2 big rigs we've had in california (bd and scv), but it doesn't give you the right to shoot them down and say they aren't worthy. they have a lot of time to improve and fix a lot of things since they aren't on tour much before championships, they have been and will continue to improve more

MystikalBrass

Post by MystikalBrass » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:19 am

It being only the first weekend in July, it may yet be too early to tell. But I can tell you that both corps are indeed "worthy" if they continue to progress and work toward that end. Both groups have proven themselves capable of excelling. What an exciting opportunity for California this year at Finals! :D

Don't count ANYONE out just yet. 8-)

Don't cheapen their efforts with talk like this, either. <---------just my two cents 8-)

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:10 pm

I saw Pacific Crest at the Glendora show last night, and they were great. PC rocked the house, and they still have a lot of potential and room to grow. Maybe they won't make Top 5 this year per say, but they'll be strong competition to other groups who want to be in the Top 12 this year.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:35 pm

Pacific Crest and Mandarins BOTH are "Division I worthy," but I really don't expect either of them to make Finals. I think they'll both be in the 15th-19th spots, possibly both making semifinals.

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:52 pm

I really enjoyed both Mandarins and Pacific Crest's shows, but this year I don't think they will do much at DCI finals. However, as soon as their numbers go up, I really expect them to come out as mild powerhouses...not as big as BD or Cavies, but at least top 12...I'm interested to see how the next couple of years will go with them.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Pacific Crest... DIVISION ONE CORPS

Post by Mr Pageantry » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:52 pm

I have been working at the most recent shows... but I will say this... Drum Corps International is the organization that seems to decide drum corps 'levels'... It is DCI that designates what division the corps are in... Both Mandarin and Pacific Crest have been 'tapped' to march Division I and that is where they are competing.... We must applaud them for being selected.. and we must support their efforts to encourage their continued success...
Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

guardguy18
New Recruit
New Recruit

Pacific Crest

Post by guardguy18 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:17 pm

Sorry if i offended anyone! I didn't mean to say they were not DIV 1 worthy, any corps that takes that leap should be commended on it! what i meant to say was Are they ready to compete in DIV 1 Finals? Once again sorry if i offended anyone and Good Luck to Pacific Crest in Orlando!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Pacific Crest

Post by Wildabeast » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:14 pm

guardguy18 wrote:Sorry if i offended anyone! I didn't mean to say they were not DIV 1 worthy, any corps that takes that leap should be commended on it! what i meant to say was Are they ready to compete in DIV 1 Finals? Once again sorry if i offended anyone and Good Luck to Pacific Crest in Orlando!

Well, I've only seen PC at Concord, and plan to encounter them at the California State Open in a couple weeks. Without having to see the midwest, south, east corps, it's hard to say. In all honesty, the show lacks the technical wizardry needed to make it into finals this year. It is a nice show, they march well, and they play well. Unless they can beef it up, they may be looking at a possible semi's spot as their high point.

With that said, this will be a very good learning year for PC. If they make it into finals, that will only be the sprinkles on an already well made cake. With Championships coming to Denver for 2004, you can bet they'll be primed and ready for that.

\m/ DCI \m/

Post by \m/ DCI \m/ » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:02 am

To tell you the truth, I really think PC has a very good shot at making finals in Orlando. They may not be higher up in the top 12 ranks, but they're show this year rocks and they'll surely be a force to be reckoned with. I'm not saying that they will for sure make it, but I wouldn't be so quick to label them this early in the season. Especially since they will have a lot more time this season than in years past to perfect their show.

As far as the whole Div I "ready" thing, I think it's kinda funny that people think that PC is a newcomer to Div I. For the past 2 years they have competed in nothing BUT Div I. :roll:

Tyler
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tyler » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:42 am

\m/ DCI \m/ wrote:As far as the whole Div I "ready" thing, I think it's kinda funny that people think that PC is a newcomer to Div I. For the past 2 years they have competed in nothing BUT Div I. :roll:
i really dont think that people think they are a newcomer to div 1 in general. but people definitely know that they are newcomers to competing with all of div 1 in championships, and thats probably where the "read[iness]" comes into question

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:23 am

I also saw PC at Glendora, and while they have a good enough hornline and guard to compete for 12th (I don't know anything about drums), they don't have the show for it. It's pretty clean, but for the most part it's too easy, and even their more difficult parts aren't that complex. They need to beef up their show if they want to be competitive (and someone told me their staff did introduce some changes towards that end after Phoenix). I think not competing at regionals, and against other corps in their range, might be to their disadvantage going into finals week as well.

As for Mandarins -- they definitely have the show for it, and their guard and horns are talented as usual. They're just dirty right now, and they lack the volume of the other div1 corps. Once they overcome those two things, they should place higher than PC (with their current show), and be in the 12 - 15 zone. I don't believe they'll place higher, simply because they're so much smaller than the others. I think they have something like 90? 100? members. Without seeing any of the corps outside of California, I know from experience that they have one of the hardest horn books of the lower eschelon div1 corps. Most corps wouldn't dare to attempt a book so difficult, and if they did they'd bring out the hose early on, and strong. I hope Mandarins won't do that and will clean up their show. If they do and by some chance don't make finals, I'd get the semifinals CD just for them.

m/dci/m, you're mistaken: PC was div1 within DCI-P, and div2 outside, or something like that, lol. Placing dead last after BD and SCV at every show in California -- while it technically counts -- isn't really competing in the div1 level.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:49 am

sonya wrote:I also saw PC at Glendora, and while they have a good enough hornline and guard to compete for 12th (I don't know anything about drums), they don't have the show for it. It's pretty clean, but for the most part it's too easy, and even their more difficult parts aren't that complex. They need to beef up their show if they want to be competitive (and someone told me their staff did introduce some changes towards that end after Phoenix).

As for Mandarins -- they definitely have the show for it, and their guard and horns are talented as usual. They're just dirty right now, and they lack the volume of the other div1 corps. Once they overcome those two things, they should place higher than PC (with their current show), and be in the 12 - 15 zone. I don't believe they'll place higher, simply because they're so much smaller than the others. I think they have something like 90? 100? members. Without seeing any of the corps outside of California, I know from experience that they have one of the hardest horn books of the lower eschelon div1 corps. Most corps wouldn't dare to attempt a book so difficult, and if they did they'd bring out the hose early on, and strong. I hope Mandarins won't do that and will clean up their show. If they do and by some chance don't make finals, I'd get the semifinals CD just for them.
Wow, it sounds like you're reading from my review of the Pacific Procession in Hayward a week or two back. :)

I agree with just about everything you're saying...

Pacific Crest: Absolutely. Those were my thoughts exactly: they have the makings of a top 12 hornline and a top 12 guard, but they most definitely do not have a top 12 visual program or effect "book."

Mandarins: Again, absolutely. They have top 12 difficulty, both musically AND visually, but they just don't have top 12 cleanliness (well, their guard does) or top 12 power. Their 91 members are going to have a tough task usurping positions away from 125-135 member corps.

When all is said and done, I expect the Mandarins will place higher than Pacific Crest in August simply because their show is so superior in design. I really don't expect either corps to make Finals, though. I think the Mandarins will finish 15th or so, and Pacific Crest will be right on the fringe of Semifinals, in the 17th or 18th spot.

Tyler
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tyler » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:40 am

i think that itll be hard to determine any real placement for pc right now because they are going to have a lot more time to practice and clean than other corps because they are not going on tour and competing. however, with that said, the fact that they are not competing does have its disadvantages. i dont believe that knowing their placement among other corps is a really big disadvantage. its only a disadvantage to us dci fans because we dont know how to keep track of pc's placement among the other div 1s. i think the big disadvantage for them is not knowing what the judges critiques/comments/opinions are as they progress in practices. all the other corps going on tour to competitions up until championships, they are constantly changing their show to make it better and possibly listening to the judges' and others' critiques/comments in order to make their show better. however, since pc isn't really competing or performing a lot, they will have the disadvantage of knowing what they really need to fix to make their show as good as it can be for championships. thats just what i think. i'll just wait for the turnout at championship prelims, i hope we're all in for a surprise with pc. good luck to them