College/University Concert Band Music

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

College/University Concert Band Music

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:56 am

Hey so I'm at a community college this year, and well, coming from my HS music program at Benicia, going to the community college band was hard. Not because the music was harder, but 3 grades easier. I would find myself barely going to class because I couldn't stand the music. This semester however, we are playing great music I think, and we grew in size and I'm actually playing picc in both bands now.

Anyway, my point is, those of you in some college music thing, what are you playing???
This semester we're playing...

De Meij-Lord of the Rings, Mvt. 1, “Gandalfâ€
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

lord hornblower
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lord hornblower » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:31 pm

snap. DVC's Night Jazz Band is dope.

uhhh.. but that's offtopic. and I'm not in college.

whoops. :D

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:05 pm

You are very fortunate to be in a community college that still has a band. My old community college, San Bernardino Valley College, dropped all of its instrumental music classes in the summer of 2005. Newer community colleges do not even think to start an instrumental music program. Many that do have a band, only have a marching band. Marching band is fine and dandy for PR of the school but, otherwise, not all that enlightening. (NOTE: I like marching band.)

We had a great band at Valley College. Our band director was C. Paul Oxley. He was a great musician himself, a trombonist. I won't get into the literature we played but it was great stuff.

It's too bad it's all gone.

:cry: