Wooden Clarinets?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Wooden Clarinets?

Post by Jakob der ludner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:26 am

Hey. I've been playing clarinet for about 5 years now and just recently decided that maybe I should take a step up from my plastic clarinets. What would be a good intermediate level wooden clarinet? I'm not a hardcore serious player, so I don't think the Buffet R13's would be worth it for me (in fact, I'm not even sure if I'll be in band after high school). I'm currently looking at the Buffet E12, and I've read some good reviews on it. Would you guys have any opinions on this horn? Also, other suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:23 am

Anything Buffet, Yamaha, or Selmer are good clarinets. Buffet hands down makes the best clarinets in the world. Side note - be sure you have the best possible mouthpiece, ligature, read set up or your new clarinet will be a waste of money. Many professionals play on many different set ups, so try a lot before you decide.

If you think you're only going to play through high school why not move up to the bass clarinet, it's a much more satisfying instrument to play! Also, you must think long term, there are MANY community/adult bands out there filled with people who thought they wouldn't play after high school.

junkimchi
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by junkimchi » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:31 pm

the Buffet E11 is a perfect intermediate wooden Clarinet. After playing on my plastic when i was starting, I switched to the E11 in middle school. The horn has tone that is similar to the R13 but the R13 is better in tune in some registers. The key placing and the hardware didn't have any problems while i was playing on the E11 for about 3 1/2 years. I believe that all concert and symphonic players should at least play on the E11 and switch to the R13 if you plan on taking clarinet more seriously in college or in solo ensembles.

i personally play on a R13
hands down the best :twisted:
"The other day I.... oh wait that wasn't me"

WildMooseStyle
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WildMooseStyle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Here's how you can take a step up...

Learn a brass instrument. :twisted:
Solid Gold Sound

'05-'06: Trumpet Section Leader, Hornline Captain
'06-'07: Drum Major
'07-'08: UCLA 1st Trumpet

lord hornblower
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lord hornblower » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 pm

hahahahaha word...

but let's not turn this into another brass vs. woodwinds thread :twisted:

we all know who would win... <cough,BRASS,cough>

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:24 pm

I have a pretty nice clarinet a wood one. it's a LeBlanc Opus II. You should look into those.
Clarinet in Knight High School Symphonic Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Tenor Sax in Knight High School Destiny Alliance Regiment Marching Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Boninetax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Boninetax » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:49 pm

I highly suggest using your plastic one if you're going to do marching band. I didn't like marching a wooden one. Whenever we went on overnight things for marching band, I was the only kid in the band who had to carry my instrument with me because we were afraid it would crack on the cold band truck overnight. And whenever it rained, I couldn't play. I have a really old wooden clarinet and in the sun it looks green. I love it for concert band tho.
As far as brass vs. woodwinds, sorry but I play trombone too. I love it for marching band, but I rather play clarinet in any other band.
Huzzah!!!

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Confederate Brass wrote:Here's how you can take a step up...
Learn a brass instrument. :twisted:
This affirms my belief about trumpet players thinking they are better than anyone else. I don't criticize anyone over their instrument choice. Even though I have organized several tuba ensembles, I believe to have a band, you have to have different instruments.

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Boninetax wrote:I highly suggest using your plastic one if you're going to do marching band. I didn't like marching a wooden one. Whenever we went on overnight things for marching band, I was the only kid in the band who had to carry my instrument with me because we were afraid it would crack on the cold band truck overnight. And whenever it rained, I couldn't play. I have a really old wooden clarinet and in the sun it looks green. I love it for concert band tho.
As far as brass vs. woodwinds, sorry but I play trombone too. I love it for marching band, but I rather play clarinet in any other band.
yes, I was actually never intending to dump my plastic one. After marching the Rose Parade this year, I'm glad to have had a wooden clarinet handy. I just want a good one for concert, and hopefully I'm looking into some better equipment so i can get to that next level of playing you know?

Anywa, thanks for the suggestions everyone!
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07