REED PLAYERS

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:36 am

WHats the longest you've ever had a reed thats playable? :soap:
Nothing is impossible with God!

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:02 pm

I play bassoon, so I use a reed for about a month before it becomes unusable. Then I can "recycle" it and let it sit in my case for a couple months while I use other reeds. Sometimes, I can pull out the old reeds, do a little knife work on them, and they play almost like new, once they've had a chance to rest.
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

vollkommen
New Recruit
New Recruit

two years and counting...

Post by vollkommen » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:52 pm

I still have the reed that I used for my freshman year audition for marching band. That was August 2003. I still use it occasionally. Besides that, I have one reed that I've used for nearly all of the band rehearsals and comps this year. Kinda gross, but it works...

Bobcat

Post by Bobcat » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:47 pm

I usually have about 4-8 playable reeds at a time. Switching off every day really helps the life span of your reeds.
But those times when I'm down to 1-2 reeds, they usually last a couple weeks each. A month is about the longest for one single reed that I have used.

It also depends how much you play.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Bobcat wrote:I usually have about 4-8 playable reeds at a time. Switching off every day really helps the life span of your reeds.
But those times when I'm down to 1-2 reeds, they usually last a couple weeks each. A month is about the longest for one single reed that I have used.

It also depends how much you play.
Yeah, it really does depend on how much you play.
During marching season, I kill my reeds like no other, trying to play ridiculously loud and playing early and often

Concert season, my reeds last significantly longer in terms of time- being indoors helps a little too.
No regrets

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:20 am

As long as it isn't turning brown and as long as you don't catch any rare desease from it then go ahead and use it. Once it starts to sound bad and/or puts you in the hospital, either from the germs on the reed or the director throwing something at you, then you should consider using a new one.
You just can't encourage stupidity

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:45 am

I keep like five boxes of reeds around. Different sizes, brands, etc. I end up using like one a month, but it's nice to have the extras :-).
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

jimmyface inc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jimmyface inc » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:21 am

my BD always told us that, with the amount of practice we get everyday during rehearsals and individual practice, we have to change our reeds every two weeks, or it'll become "unplayable" [which really means that it'll have bad tone quality].

i play oboe for concert band, and if you know about oboe/bassoon reeds, they're not the cheapest reeds on the planet. in fact they're the most expensive i think. imagine it like buying a new mouthpiece everytime. :shock: well, since they're so expensive, i "secretly" use one double-reed for a month, then my BD discovers that i've been doing so [cuz he can hear the difference from a new reed and an old reed], and then i have to go out and buy a new one. btw, one reed cost about the same as one box [10] of Bb clarinet reeds. :x but i played clarinet too, so i can't complain. haha.
Garden Grove High School
Drum Major '06-'07
IMC President '06-'07

'03 The Wind and the Lion
'04 Pirates of the Caribbean
'05 Heroes and Legends
'06 Tower of Power

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:55 am

jimmyface inc wrote:i play oboe for concert band, and if you know about oboe/bassoon reeds, they're not the cheapest reeds on the planet. in fact they're the most expensive i think. imagine it like buying a new mouthpiece everytime. :shock: well, since they're so expensive, i "secretly" use one double-reed for a month, then my BD discovers that i've been doing so [cuz he can hear the difference from a new reed and an old reed], and then i have to go out and buy a new one. btw, one reed cost about the same as one box [10] of Bb clarinet reeds. :x but i played clarinet too, so i can't complain. haha.
Double-reeds are very expensive. In fact, I know of many professional double-reed players in symphony orchestras who will just buy the raw cane and then use a knife or razor blade to make their double-reed by hand at home. Time consuming, but worth it.

In fact, I believe that's the preferred method of reed making once you reach the higher performance levels. If you want something done right, as they say...

vollkommen
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by vollkommen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:48 pm

My oboe teacher makes her own reeds and is going to have me make my own sometime soon as well. She spent all her free time in college making reeds, so now she has like a bucket of them and hasn't made any new ones in a few years. She said that she saved like five hundred dollars or something, so I think it'd be worth it to learn to make them yourself. Besides, it's kind of cool too.

Buying reeds online has been a great way to save money for me. I can buy a box of Vandoren V12's for twelve dollars. And given the fact that I use about one reed a month, that's only twelve dollars for an entire year.

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:41 pm

Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:Double-reeds are very expensive. In fact, I know of many professional double-reed players in symphony orchestras who will just buy the raw cane and then use a knife or razor blade to make their double-reed by hand at home. Time consuming, but worth it.

In fact, I believe that's the preferred method of reed making once you reach the higher performance levels. If you want something done right, as they say...
That's what I do...except I buy the reeds pre-gouged, -shaped and -profiled. as the instruments to do these three steps are too expensive. Then I can sand, wrap, round out, and work on the cane to suit my preferences.

And for any bassoonists reading this...homemade reeds are infinitely better than store-bought. Also, use a knife and files rather than razor blades, they are slower but won't hurt the cane as much if you slip. :D
Last edited by swuster on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

tenorsaxplyr34
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tenorsaxplyr34 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:39 pm

over a year... ahhh, the beauty of synthetic reeds... and no, i didnt only use that reed in that time, i used others for different types of playing...

BCBabe
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BCBabe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:01 pm

i use mine for about a couple of months. i use them for a long long time. but i cycle so its not as bad. :wink:

and people making their own reeds? THATS AMAZING!!!! :shock:
My success and my misfortunes, the bright and the dark days I have gone through, everything has proved to me that in this world, either physical or moral, good comes out of evil just as well as evil comes out of good. - Casanova

junkimchi
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by junkimchi » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:28 pm

in middle school, I think i played on my clarinet reed for like 8 months until I realized how crappy i sounded when i was testing or something. :P
"The other day I.... oh wait that wasn't me"

Boninetax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Boninetax » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:29 pm

I had this reed and I kept it in a case when I wasn't using it. But after awhile, it started to smell like fish, but I kept using it being the conservative reed player who saves reeds until they don't play so well anymore. But now, it has brown specks on it. I've been playing for years and I've never had reeds go moldy. Weird huh?
Huzzah!!!