Award Salutes

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:50 pm

Well, for most reviews, we only have 3 people up there: the DM, percussion representative, and auxiliary representative. At our last competition in Fairfield, however, we had 5, a concert and jazz representative. That's the most we'll ever have, though.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:05 pm

i just thought id say (i no this is totally off topic, but i felt the need 2 say it), that WOO10's my Idol, that joke u have down at the bottom isnt rite. unless im sadly mistaken, the Eb isn't wat makes it a minor, that chord isnt even minor. itd have 2 b a Bb that leaves. i realize that this was off, but it was buggin me.
"The only thing nessicary for evil to triumph is good men to do nothing."

WOO10's my Idol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WOO10's my Idol » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:25 pm

no, no you are probably right... i just saw the joke taped to a window of a music store and thought it was funny
When life gives you lemons,
Make Orange Juice.
Then leave the world wondering
how the hell you did it.

Clarinet Cool Dude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Clarinet Cool Dude » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:05 pm

To those people who say they rather have a nice, clean, salute, I totally agree with you guys. But it wouldn't hurt to have some fun sometimes, but not going overboard. Our band just did a simple wave...another time they did the sprinkler or w/e you call it. Those types of stuff would be fine. But the bands that do a really snappy salute are usually really impressive.

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:24 pm

yeah, i definatly think that you dont need to be flashy with your awards salute, its great to have spirit, but let the band in the stands express it. remember you are still in uniform, and i know alot of school that hold themselves to a higher standard when in uniform. plus, i cant do anything cool, so id rather just salut.. lol

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:18 pm

My director actually told me to stop doing my backflips. Injury hazard, he says. HA! But really, I just like to have some fun with my awards salute; but I never compromise morality for fun, so my salutes are never disrespectful to the hosting school or anyone present. That's basically my rule: don't offend anyone.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Little_Drummer_Boy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Little_Drummer_Boy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:25 pm

ZJH wrote:I dunno. I always thought the "punch" salute was a bit too Drum Corps style for my liking at award ceremonies.

Yah man for sure. Thats thats what my school does and when its done crisp, it sends a chill up my spine haha. I could just be weird or something but yah. I saw Vanguard do it at a show the other day...it knocked out everyone elses.
"..and with every passing day..were throwing up our fists..this feels right to us...livin' to the fullest!"
07-08 Center Snare- Battery Captain SHHS
06-07 Center Snare-South Hills High School
05-06 Snare Line South Hills High School

Little_Drummer_Boy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Little_Drummer_Boy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:26 pm

cymtech wrote:i am a big fan of the "punch" followed by a normal salute.
This was what I meant to quote. My bad :oops:
"..and with every passing day..were throwing up our fists..this feels right to us...livin' to the fullest!"
07-08 Center Snare- Battery Captain SHHS
06-07 Center Snare-South Hills High School
05-06 Snare Line South Hills High School

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:04 am

mt. carmel at the fiesta bowl 2003. our DM completely suprised us with the craziest salute we'd ever seen. he had to have rehearsed it like a thousand times cause it was about 2 minutes long.
drummer

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:28 am

mc_tenorline wrote:mt. carmel at the fiesta bowl 2003. our DM completely suprised us with the craziest salute we'd ever seen. he had to have rehearsed it like a thousand times cause it was about 2 minutes long.
Man, it better have been GOOOD if it lasted that long. lol He might've gotten shot by the hosts if it wasn't, just to save time. :lol:

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:09 pm

ZJH wrote:
mc_tenorline wrote:mt. carmel at the fiesta bowl 2003. our DM completely suprised us with the craziest salute we'd ever seen. he had to have rehearsed it like a thousand times cause it was about 2 minutes long.
Man, it better have been GOOOD if it lasted that long. lol He might've gotten shot by the hosts if it wasn't, just to save time. :lol:
it wasnt in front of the hosts lol. if it was, o man. he was presenting the awards to the band when he did it.
drummer

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:02 pm

Yeah this one is definently in my top 3
Soldiering On!

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:13 pm

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:Yeah this one is definently in my top 3
what school are you from?
drummer

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:15 pm

I don't want to say. I don't want people to know where I am from.. i want to keep that a secret.
Soldiering On!

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:20 pm

lol, alright
drummer