oh no !!!!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

should i switch

yes
83%
no
17%

Total votes: 12

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

oh no !!!!

Post by altogirl06 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:39 pm

i'm trading instruments !!!!!!! i'm going from a sax to a baritone!!!! i was wondering if any one had any advice . like, maybe i shouldn't. i've wanted to try something new but, i still like the sax!! :? :frustrated: :hum: either let me know by voting or writting please!!!!!!!
Last edited by altogirl06 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is impossible with God!

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:43 pm

Whatever the band needs IMHO and whatever you are willing to do.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:00 pm

......Ms. Altogirl.... did I not tell you that you WERE going to play... come on, I'm willing to give up my free time (like I had any) to teach you how to play the instrument... trust girl, it's not as bad as one would think. It's amazingly fun. Sure it looks like a lot of work and all, but you'll get use to it. You may still want to play your sax, but put in the right direction and used properly, you'll be one of our best baritone players... So admit it, you wanna join our section!!!! :wink:
OHS '01 - '05

Bassline4life
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bassline4life » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:24 pm

I always thougt it would be hard.....to swich

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:57 pm

i switched from trumpet to french horn
fun stuff
it really hurts your ears when you are good but u sound like u are in elementary school band.

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:19 am

switch if it what the band needs....for an alto player you can switch to baritone for marching and concert, but still do jazz band as alto, if u keep up both instruments you will be a much better musician in the end
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:50 am

i wouldn't switch. you're going from a pretty good alto player to a horrible baritone player. my friends have switched and they've been screwed out of higher places in the program.

but if you really want to experience new things, go for it.

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:36 pm

she won't necessarily be horrible... She might be one of those freaks who sound like they've been playing for years on their first week. But I still say you should switch because it is for the band and it shall be fun.
OHS '01 - '05

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:51 pm

I think it is a good idea to continue playing both. I started playing sax as well as clarinet and now I have improved as a whole as a musician but also haven't done a complete switch and maintain both instruments.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:23 pm

for brass instruments it's harder. i went from Trumpet to French Horn. now i sux at both except u people from westlake will say i'm not that bad. but on trumpet i cant even hit a high C above the staff anymore even if i play a scale up. but that's ok French horn is way more fun to play

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:59 pm

LovableSheep wrote:I think it is a good idea to continue playing both. I started playing sax as well as clarinet and now I have improved as a whole as a musician but also haven't done a complete switch and maintain both instruments.
thats probably the easiest switch. woodwind to brass is a whole different thing.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:15 am

nizmo wrote:
LovableSheep wrote:I think it is a good idea to continue playing both. I started playing sax as well as clarinet and now I have improved as a whole as a musician but also haven't done a complete switch and maintain both instruments.
thats probably the easiest switch. woodwind to brass is a whole different thing.
woodwind to brass/brass to woodwind can ruin ur umbershure(spelling?) cuz brass to brass kinda ruined mine. i'm not trying to sound all negative but the muscles in ur lip/jaw area are in shape to the instrument you are playing right now and when u play somthing else u might lose that balance.
According to a really good french horn player in my school, the trumpet umbershure and french horn one are completely opposites. You put pressure on the top lip for trumpet and on french horn u put pressure on ur bottom lip and etc..
So now over the summer that's what i'll be working on

I think you should really switch and do it for the motherband just like motherland! maybe you will find it fun just like i have found the french horn way more fun to play than trumpet.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

oh no !

Post by altogirl06 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:00 am

well, i'd like to thank everyone for there support and advice thank you !!!!!! :cry:
Nothing is impossible with God!

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:09 am

so which one are u gonna play?