Award Salutes

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:11 pm

As cool as some of us may think that would look I think something like that might be a bit over the top. I think if you were to do a salute with the mace that didn't require piercing a hole into anything then that would be completely different.
i no wat u mean, but its our last comp, and we even take all our senior out with us cuz its their last comp ever. so other things with r over the top, so i figure, y not make the salute over the top neways. but i can c where ur coming from.
"The only thing nessicary for evil to triumph is good men to do nothing."

muzicgirly20o

Post by muzicgirly20o » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Has anyone ever seen Downey's salutes! They're sure to make you laugh! My whole group loves to see them at awards!

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:17 pm

wat do they do?or would that kill it?

piccmee

Post by piccmee » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:27 pm

When I did a salute I did a cartwheel with the hornsergent while the DM did something else. I do think that there is a time when the salutes can be more traditional. At a comp on Saturday, I saw a colorguard salute that invoulved one girl spanking the other's backside and instead of turning around and saluting she left her backside to the stands and the hosting drummajor. How rude and innappropiate!

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:37 pm

piccmee wrote:When I did a salute I did a cartwheel with the hornsergent while the DM did something else. I do think that there is a time when the salutes can be more traditional. At a comp on Saturday, I saw a colorguard salute that invoulved one girl spanking the other's backside and instead of turning around and saluting she left her backside to the stands and the hosting drummajor. How rude and innappropiate!
Wow, that's extremely disrespectful and inappropriate conduct. I hope they got dealt with accordingly. Something like that's just distasteful.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Disrespect

Post by Jsaxm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:56 pm

piccmee wrote:When I did a salute I did a cartwheel with the hornsergent while the DM did something else. I do think that there is a time when the salutes can be more traditional. At a comp on Saturday, I saw a colorguard salute that invoulved one girl spanking the other's backside and instead of turning around and saluting she left her backside to the stands and the hosting drummajor. How rude and innappropiate!
Yeah, that is totally disrespectful. If I was their director they would have gotten an ear full when they got back to the bandroom.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:57 pm

muzicgirly20o wrote:Has anyone ever seen Downey's salutes! They're sure to make you laugh! My whole group loves to see them at awards!
As I recall, I saw them at the Savanna Tournament, and told them to lighten up on the caffeine in their lives....or something to that extent.

And I'm REALLY curious about what band would "let" a girl get spanked like that on the field. Talk about tacky...eeeeeeeek. Oh, but in this day and age, I better be careful. I don't want to damage any esteems out there.

thaiguy20fromla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thaiguy20fromla » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:47 am

diamond ranch had at least 15 people representing them at the covina christmas parade
Director of Instrumental Music, South El Monte High School
Mountain View High School Viking Regiment Alum (2005-2009)

piccmee

Re: Disrespect

Post by piccmee » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:54 pm

Jsaxm wrote:
Yeah, that is totally disrespectful. If I was their director they would have gotten an ear full when they got back to the bandroom.
The sad thing is, he probably won't care, or even notice that something was wrong. Another sad thing is the girls probably thought it was funny!

kral(smdm)
New Recruit
New Recruit

I was there

Post by kral(smdm) » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:42 pm

I know amy, it was quite innapropriate
it was an embarassment to the court system
and it was done by a band that has had a history of such innapropriate behavior
But in reallity, it is the courts decision whether to make a complete wierdo out of themselves on the field

Besides, The Drum major couldn't stop smiling/blushing afterwards :oops:

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Disrespect

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:25 pm

Jsaxm wrote:
piccmee wrote:When I did a salute I did a cartwheel with the hornsergent while the DM did something else. I do think that there is a time when the salutes can be more traditional. At a comp on Saturday, I saw a colorguard salute that invoulved one ing the other's backside and instead of turning around and saluting she left her backside to the stands and the hosting drummajor. How rude and innappropiate!
if i was the director, they wouldnt b leaders nemore, but thats just me.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:24 pm

i am a big fan of the "punch" followed by a normal salute.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm

I dunno. I always thought the "punch" salute was a bit too Drum Corps style for my liking at award ceremonies.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:42 pm

ZJH wrote:I dunno. I always thought the "punch" salute was a bit too Drum Corps style for my liking at award ceremonies.
Same, although I'm a little bit of a fan as well. So I mix in some sort of flourish with my punch salutes.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

WOO10's my Idol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WOO10's my Idol » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:07 pm

i have always wandered what the use of sending up more people then necessary was. i mean i get the senior's last show thing and i totally feel for that becaue i know that i would want to make the best of my very last competition however, seeing some bands sending up about 10 people when 3 would do (DM, CG Captain, and Percussion Capt.) i have always wandered why.

oh and i like the standard 2 count salute.... its fast, its cold at night, and people want to go home :D
When life gives you lemons,
Make Orange Juice.
Then leave the world wondering
how the hell you did it.