saxes

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:23 am

I also own a Cannonball Tenor Saxophone. I has a great strong sound and looks pretty cool. I got the Mad Meg model so it's not laquered or plated. Pure brass which gives it this great sound. The pure brass also gives it the antique kind of look which I love and with the green stone keys I got put in it's the best. I hope you're happy with your Selmer
Clarinet in Knight High School Symphonic Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Tenor Sax in Knight High School Destiny Alliance Regiment Marching Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

oh, what the heck...

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 pm

Here's something sax related - San Jose's Annual Saxophone Christmas.

I emailed Ray Bernd of Monroe Middle School in the San Jose area last week. He's working on securing the rehearsal time, but he's also trying to get a concrete idea for the second performance site - it's either Eastridge Mall or Vallco. I don't know what shape Eastridge is in, but Vallco might not be available as there is some restructuring going on in the court area where we were last year (it looks like the entrance to the new AMC Theater is going right in that area).

Sat., Dec. 17th looks to be date.
-Stop global whining.

ch ch ch chico

Post by ch ch ch chico » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:54 pm

i'm sorry to tell you,....but bundy...is a really bad brand...and from what i have seen of vito...they are okie...selmer and yamaha are realleh good...as well as yanigisawa...those are your best bets!!! :lol:

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:32 am

So it's been awhile since I have posted in this topic. I am VERY happy with my sax! It plays very well, I hope I get to play it not for just jazz this year but wind ensemble too. My band director usually has me play euphonium for w.e. thanks guys 8-)
Nothing is impossible with God!

cant blive its not butter

Post by cant blive its not butter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:23 pm

I play the alto. Yamaha. But what I really love is the moutpiece. Its a Rovner size six. Gold plated. Expensive, but what a sound it makes!

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:10 pm

I want to get a metal mouth piece... the sound of sax kings.... :D
Nothing is impossible with God!

tenorsaxchick06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tenorsaxchick06 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:52 pm

hey all! well since we're talking about saxes...im planning on getting a tenor for my college years sometime soon...and i was wondering what kind would be best for marching, jazz, and concert performances...right now i play on the schools yamaha which i like and so i was thinking about a yamaha....but feedback would be great!
...the award-winning, world-traveling, Marching Yellowjackets!!!

['05] Caribbean Carnival
Drum Major
Baritone
['04] Peace & Harmony
Drum Major
T. Sax
VC Honor Band
['03] Portraits of Jazz
T. Sax
VC Honor Band
['02] Michael Jackson
Flute

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:57 pm

which do you guys think is better?
YAS62II Alto Sax
YAS475 Alto Saxophone
the price is about $300 from each other...they seems similar which makes it so hard to decide!

Barton1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Barton1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 am

Regardless of the brand you choose, I strongly recommend buying a Selmer C-star mouthpiece. The difference in tone is tremendous. Your sound will immediately be smoother and darker. The mouthpiece is not the best for a loud, brash jazz sound, but for concert groups, it can't be beat!
James Barton
Leadership Instructor, 2007-2011

m4n.bandminton

Post by m4n.bandminton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:59 pm

i was thinking, which mouthpeice could u get a rash sound like .... its hard to explain, anyone hear Europa- Gato Barbieri, like that kinda sound
MAN THATS A NICE SAX!!!!
now if only u knew how to play it...

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:03 pm

Another great mouthpiece for sax that is sort of new is Jody Jazz. I got a Jody Jazz and it's gold metal and has great, big jazz sound.
Clarinet in Knight High School Symphonic Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Tenor Sax in Knight High School Destiny Alliance Regiment Marching Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Morgan 3C

Post by Jsaxm » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:54 pm

Barton1 wrote:Regardless of the brand you choose, I strongly recommend buying a Selmer C-star mouthpiece. The difference in tone is tremendous. Your sound will immediately be smoother and darker. The mouthpiece is not the best for a loud, brash jazz sound, but for concert groups, it can't be beat!
Although the C star is a good mouthpiece I think that a Morgan 3C is even better for classical playing then the C star. I used to play on a C star and my college professor made me switch to the Morgan and I swear I will never go back to the C star. Just my personal preference. To each their own.
You just can't encourage stupidity

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:38 pm

Well there are a lot of great sax mouthpieces, but for versatility
aka, a decent jazz mouthpiece, a great classical mouthpiece, and a great mouthpiece for marching band -- C* or D (depending on your preference) is awesome.

I love the Yamaha student models. Stay in great shape, even with the harsh treatment of marching band.
I currently play a vito tenor sax. It's also very nice.

So, tenorsaxchick, I would definitely recommend a Yamaha tenor if that's what you're used to.
It'll last you quite a long time.
No regrets

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:39 am

You have some choices, young lady.....
I've been playing saxophone for about 30+ years now and I can safely say that there are some great brands out there, and your choices will invariably come down to what your budget will allow. I've worked in music stores most of my adult life and still attend the NAMM show every year in Anaheim either as a spectator or demonstrator.

For jazz, the Selmer Mark VI is the holy grail, and at $5000+, it is out of budget for most players. Check out this saxophone buyer's guide for some hints in finding your axe. Best bang for the buck I've seen lately is the Artist Series from Jupiter. I also like Yanagisawa and H Couf [my jazz tenor --- Grover Washington & Lenny Pickett played them]. My alto was a King Zephyr Special [circa 40's] --- recently sold 'cuz I wasn't really playing it enough. Perhaps I might get a vintage Super 20 down the line. I didn't really mention Yamaha since the Pro Series 800 and 700 are overpriced like the Selmers; the YAS-52 is still the best value.

Mouthpieces are so personal; whoever mentioned the C* --- it's a good start. I'd also check out the metalite series from Rico-LaVoz , Meyer mouthpieces and the good ole Claude Lakey [which I used on my marching tenor]. Metal-wise, Otto Link is what works on my H Couf Tenor, though I had a Dukoff and a Berg-Larsen. When trying out mouthpieces, be prepared to spend an afternoon with 2-3 of them with reeds of varying strengths. Good luck.

tenorsaxplyr34
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tenorsaxplyr34 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:31 pm

TMRMusicMaster wrote:i wouldnt go with a bundy just an opinion but I would go with a selmer paris for sure or the yamaha custom z series but I also like the yanagisawa saxes but as for my set up I currently use a classic sax many u may know of called the selmer mark 6 its great and I love its rich tone ahhh and as for some added info, john coltrane the famous jazz musician used the same model
coltrane used a selmer super balanced action, not a mark VI... and im very surprised that i didnt hear yanigasawa thrown out in here, as they are probably THE best brand out there at the moment. can't go wrong with yani.