Award Salutes

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

lildrummerboi6
New Recruit
New Recruit

Award Salutes

Post by lildrummerboi6 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:53 pm

What was the coolest salute u ever saw or did....
Los Alamitos HS
Drumline-Snare

04-05
05-06
06-07
-Drum Captain 05-07

*Parades RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:03 pm

Well, I did a backflip for my salute a couple of times. Haha
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:55 pm

Rancho Bernardo 2003 at Arcadia. Their DM did the Robot. I swear the entire stadium stood up and cheered.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Barton1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Barton1 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Call me a traditionalist, but I like salutes that are militaristic, clean, and snappy. I have never been a fan of salutes with silly dancing or goofy tricks---I think it cheapens the honor and respect you are down on the field to receive!
James Barton
Leadership Instructor, 2007-2011

thaiguy20fromla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thaiguy20fromla » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:20 pm

hip thrusts in four directions one beat each--->the 'horsie' (is that what you call it?) spinning around in four beats---> four beat salute... that's what the dm, assistant dm, and percussion section leader did
Director of Instrumental Music, South El Monte High School
Mountain View High School Viking Regiment Alum (2005-2009)

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:44 am

Barton1 wrote:Call me a traditionalist, but I like salutes that are militaristic, clean, and snappy. I have never been a fan of salutes with silly dancing or goofy tricks---I think it cheapens the honor and respect you are down on the field to receive!
I completely agree. Accepting an award is an honor and should be a dignified and respectful event. It should not be a time for people to go down to the field and show what kind of lame dance steps the learned playing DDR.

All hail traditionalists!!!
You just can't encourage stupidity

Barton1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Barton1 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:33 pm

Amen brother.
James Barton

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:20 pm

Barton1 wrote:Call me a traditionalist, but I like salutes that are militaristic, clean, and snappy. I have never been a fan of salutes with silly dancing or goofy tricks---I think it cheapens the honor and respect you are down on the field to receive!
I don't completely agree with you, but I'm with you there most of the way. I think showing off a little bit is a way to reflect your school spirit, but please, no breakdancing in awards ceremonies.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Barton1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Barton1 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:01 pm

I totally understand you---it's awesome to show school spirit, but on the field is not the place to express it. I have always hated schools who let their students go crazy in the stands--doing silly cheers, yelling when they realize that their competitor got 2nd meaning they got 1st, and generally being unclassy. Let your scores and placing speak for itself!
James Barton

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 pm

Barton1 wrote:I totally understand you---it's awesome to show school spirit, but on the field is not the place to express it. I have always d schools who let their students go crazy in the stands--doing silly cheers, yelling when they realize that their competitor got 2nd meaning they got 1st, and generally being unclassy. Let your scores and placing speak for itself!
finally, some1 else who thinks the same. id like 2 ask, tho, if u think it's disrespectful of a DM to take their mace out with them 2 awards.

usually, i do the same basic salute, no dancing, just a salute, but at our last comp, i held my mace by the tip and tossed it end over end and stuck it in the ground. would u consider that militeristic and classy? or was that a bad idea of mine?
"The only thing nessicary for evil to triumph is good men to do nothing."

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:00 pm

GHS Sasquatch wrote:
Barton1 wrote:I totally understand you---it's awesome to show school spirit, but on the field is not the place to express it. I have always d schools who let their students go crazy in the stands--doing silly cheers, yelling when they realize that their competitor got 2nd meaning they got 1st, and generally being unclassy. Let your scores and placing speak for itself!
finally, some1 else who thinks the same. id like 2 ask, tho, if u think it's disrespectful of a DM to take their mace out with them 2 awards.

usually, i do the same basic salute, no dancing, just a salute, but at our last comp, i held my mace by the tip and tossed it end over end and stuck it in the ground. would u consider that militeristic and classy? or was that a bad idea of mine?
Well, I would hope that you wouldn't stick it in the ground and mess up the football field. :oops:
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 pm

hey, the football players tear it up with their cleats, so i think 1 little hole wont do much damage.

Barton1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Barton1 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:18 pm

I think that sounds really cool! If it's sharp, clean, and professional, I think that could add a lot in a dignified way. Are you a parade and field drum major?
James Barton

GHS Sasquatch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GHS Sasquatch » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:53 pm

awesome. our school only has 2 DMs, the DM on the street (me), and the assistant, who really doesnt do a whole lot. our director directs on the field. im not exactly sure wat u mean by that, but i am always the acting DM. i just dont conduct. how bout u when u were it?

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:02 am

GHS Sasquatch wrote:

As cool as some of us may think that would look I think something like that might be a bit over the top. I think if you were to do a salute with the mace that didn't require piercing a hole into anything then that would be completely different.

Again, I am one for the traditional aspect of saluting and accepting awards so this is just my opinion. Take it for whatever it is worth.
You just can't encourage stupidity