What else do you/did you do in High School?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

What else do you/did you do in High School?

Post by nizmo » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:27 am

i ran track, varsity ice/roller hockey, NHS, CSF, key club, utopian league...

DJTyrant
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DJTyrant » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:00 am

play video games? uh not really much else besides band, no time for anything else
Jimmy Blocksom
Assistant Drum Major
Buena High School
GRADUATED
I miss marching, I really do...my life feels a little empty without it...

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:15 pm

Math League, Chem Team, Leo Club, Computer Club, Anime Club, Digital Media Club, Confirmation Facilitator at Church.....
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

leesah
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by leesah » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:26 pm

along with being a full time band nerd at my high school [ har har .. ], im the layout editor for the yearbook staff, an active officer of the key club, in honors/ap classes.. class representative.. CSF.. etc.

iminguard
Rookie
Rookie

in high school.....

Post by iminguard » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:52 pm

in high school i do csf, avid, and colorguard i have no toher time left except for the internet. :)

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:21 pm

i think there's plenty of time. i was also in at least 3 AP/honors classes every year and managed to do everything. :) even become an internet nerd as i am now! haha

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:39 am

nizmo wrote:i think there's plenty of time. i was also in at least 3 AP/honors classes every year and managed to do everything. :) even become an internet nerd as i am now! haha
AP means absolutely crap unless it is part of your major. The only one that affected my units in college were AP Eng, AP Bio and AP Comp Sci.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:26 am

[UCI]-Mike wrote:AP means absolutely crap unless it is part of your major.
"I never let schooling interfere with my education." -- Mark Twain

I'm pretty much of the opinion that High School is crap. I didn't really learn anything until I went to college, and the only valuable experience I got out of four years in that brainwashing indoctrination center (that attempted to rip every shred of individuality from my being and make me a soul-dead member of the American consumer culture) was band.

BUT, I wasted my time on a few other school-related things. Knowledge Bowl, three years (cause I'm a big ol' trivia geek), German club and a year or so dabbling in journalism and writing for the school newspaper (believe me, I was detested and chastised time and time again for my unique way of "telling it like it is"; I found out, very early on in life, that most people don't want to KNOW how it is -- they'd rather remain in the safe, clueless, naive, oblivious or otherwise ignorant shell they've enshrouded themselves in).

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:10 am

[UCI]-Mike wrote:AP means absolutely crap unless it is part of your major. The only one that affected my units in college were AP Eng, AP Bio and AP Comp Sci.
yea i agree. its just to make you look better than other people. i seriously just took AP's to get into college.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:47 pm

nizmo wrote:
[UCI]-Mike wrote:AP means absolutely crap unless it is part of your major. The only one that affected my units in college were AP Eng, AP Bio and AP Comp Sci.
yea i agree. its just to make you look better than other people. i seriously just took AP's to get into college.
Well there was also the parents factor. "Oh my son is taking 4 APs in his senior year instead of taking regular classes and taking a few periods off."

AP English helped with the UC-wide Subject A requirement. AP Bio helped me take a quarter off the normal 3 quarter general bio classes. AP Comp Sci allowed me to start on the 2nd class in a 3 class introduction to computer science.

AP Gov = nothing
AP Euro = nothing
AP US History = nothing
AP Stats = nothing

Pretty much most of those classes mean nothing.

SOTWrifles

Post by SOTWrifles » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:36 pm

I would have to disagree with you, maybe not in the UC system but some schools allow your general ed requirements or core classes to be fullfilled with your AP credits. I understand and agree that there is no set standard or agreement on how colleges and university choose to recongize the Advance Placement Program, but sometimes taking thoses AP classes do have their advantages. For example; in high school I took 4 AP classes and after my first semester in college i have fullfilled all my core requiments.

Puck
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Puck » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:24 pm

It seemed to me that AP classes only meant something on your GPA and IF you decided to take the AP test at the end of the year. They effected your GPA because they graded on a 5.0 scale intead of the regular 4.0. And you could get college credits depending on what your score was on the AP tests. BUT just because you got a good score on the AP test didn't mean your college of choice would recognize that for college credit. I took a handful of AP classes just for the challenge. I thought it was more of a waste for me, personally, to spend however much money to take a test I might not have gotten credit for.
http://www.wginsider.com/
Visit WGInsider.com for the latest WGI Rankings and more!

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves." ~Will Durant

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:41 pm

AP = bad memories...

i feel asleep during some of my tests...lol

arcadiatrumpette
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by arcadiatrumpette » Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:13 am

i just started high school this year, still trying to figure things out, and band has taken a huuuuuge chunk out of my time so far...i'm sort of involved in gay/straight alliance at school, and that's pretty much it.

but other than that, i love love love to sing and make music on the piano, and i haven't painted in a while, but i always love to do that when i get lots and lots of free time. i used to be in drama production in middle school. that was totemo fun too! i steer clear from any math/science stuff. that stuff never clicked with me.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:20 am

arcadiatrumpette wrote:i just started high school this year, still trying to figure things out, and band has taken a huuuuuge chunk out of my time so far...i'm sort of involved in gay/straight alliance at school, and that's pretty much it.

but other than that, i love love love to sing and make music on the piano, and i haven't painted in a while, but i always love to do that when i get lots and lots of free time. i used to be in drama production in middle school. that was totemo fun too! i steer clear from any math/science stuff. that stuff never clicked with me.
As I look back at high school I did have a lot of time compared to what I have to do now. Enjoy having free time.