Starting a Booster Organization

Discuss fundrising ideas, travel plans, find equipment and supplies, compare notes with other boosters...

Moderator: Bandmaster

Post Reply
User avatar
Mamses
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:41 am
Location: Ontario, CA

Starting a Booster Organization

Post by Mamses » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:22 am

I'm new to this website and new to the world of band boosters. Our High School is just beginning it's second year of operation and our band is also just getting "off the ground". I would appreciate any advice, tips, and/or ideas from experienced boosters. Thanks for your help! :)
Cherish yesterday...Live today...Dream tomorrow

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:03 pm

Post by 8-ball » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:08 pm

If you decide to make a non-profit booster organization, use "The California Nonprofit Corporation Kit." (Mancuso 3) It has a checklist of everything to do, a cd with all the forms you will need, and plenty of documentation to explain how to do everything. It comes in a binder and is about $60. Good luck in the future.

User avatar
guardee101
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: socal

Post by guardee101 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:24 pm

whatever you do, make sure that the boosters are enthusiastic. Our band's boosters are great!!

User avatar
TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:44 pm

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:48 pm

8-ball wrote:If you decide to make a non-profit booster organization, use "The California Nonprofit Corporation Kit." (Mancuso 3) It has a checklist of everything to do, a cd with all the forms you will need, and plenty of documentation to explain how to do everything. It comes in a binder and is about $60. Good luck in the future.
I don't think she can do that, seeing that she is from Ontario, Canada.

User avatar
jacjar1
Section Leader
Section Leader
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: United Socialist State of Kalifornia
Contact:

Your tax dollars at work!!!

Post by jacjar1 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:42 pm

TMR Quint Kid wrote:
8-ball wrote:If you decide to make a non-profit booster organization, use "The California Nonprofit Corporation Kit." (Mancuso 3) It has a checklist of everything to do, a cd with all the forms you will need, and plenty of documentation to explain how to do everything. It comes in a binder and is about $60. Good luck in the future.
I don't think she can do that, seeing that she is from Ontario, Canada.
hmmm i may be wrong but in my day geography was mandatory in HS and I think.

CA is CAlifornia not CANada and there is a Ontario in California thats where the airport is!!

Her avitar

Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 2
Location: Ontario, CA


To answer the question go to a sucessful booster organization in your area and attend a meeting and hang out with them. That is best way to see the ins and outs. This way its not sugarcoated and you get the real story.

Could be Canada Could be California but lets not Assume!
Truth is not a theory..

User avatar
MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:18 am
Location: Riverside
Contact:

Post by MusicCoach » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:28 am




Hi! Everyone

I'm in the process of forming a Independent Winter Drumline. And I was wondering how I can start a sort of booster organization for the line.



:wink: :lol: 8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Lukehart
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:02 pm

Post by Lukehart » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Purchasing anything that tells you how to form a non-profit and/or paying somebody hundreds of dollars to do it for you is a big waste of money. This information is available for free from the appropriate state agency. Each agency will have a newbie’s guide to completing these steps. It’s quite easy.

First, you must file for Articles of Incorporation. This will take around 90 days to be approved or denied. This is something that is handled by the Secretary of State. The filing fee for California is $30.00. You will need to search for the information pertaining to a "non-profit Public Benefit corporation" in the link provided. The are sample articles of incorporation with the states min. requirements in the link as well. Being incorporated does not mean you have federal or state tax exempt status....that comes later

Here is the information you need pertaining to Articles of Incorporation.

http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/corp/corp_artsnpinf.htm

Once you file for that you must file for both federal and state tax exempt status...there are a few things you must do before that however. Let me know when you have filed for incorporation and I would be happy to help you with the next few steps.

-Dan Lukehart

User avatar
MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:18 am
Location: Riverside
Contact:

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Lukehart wrote:Purchasing anything that tells you how to form a non-profit and/or paying somebody hundreds of dollars to do it for you is a big waste of money. This information is available for free from the appropriate state agency. Each agency will have a newbie’s guide to completing these steps. It’s quite easy.

First, you must file for Articles of Incorporation. This will take around 90 days to be approved or denied. This is something that is handled by the Secretary of State. The filing fee for California is $30.00. You will need to search for the information pertaining to a "non-profit Public Benefit corporation" in the link provided. The are sample articles of incorporation with the states min. requirements in the link as well. Being incorporated does not mean you have federal or state tax exempt status....that comes later

Here is the information you need pertaining to Articles of Incorporation.

http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/corp/corp_artsnpinf.htm

Once you file for that you must file for both federal and state tax exempt status...there are a few things you must do before that however. Let me know when you have filed for incorporation and I would be happy to help you with the next few steps.

-Dan Lukehart


Hey! Lukehart

Thanks for the info.


:lol: 8-)
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Post Reply