The Oscars.......

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

rayden
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Oscars.......

Post by rayden » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:22 pm

is it me or did I heard this morning that "Lose Yourself" from the 8 Mile soundtrack was nominated for Best Original Song? Interesting to see if this wins
the award.

---Michelle Kwan.....for a 5th World Title.....2003 Worlds.....Washington, DC---

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:22 pm

maybe their trying to spice things up...

Chicago got a lot of nominations

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:21 pm

As if we needed any more evidence that the Oscars are simply a popularity contest and only loosely based on technical/performance achievement... how does The Two Towers NOT get nominated for Best Costuming? Give me a break. It got nominated for Best Picture, which is cool, but it doesn't stand a chance of winning. I don't think a movie has ever won best picture without also winning one of these three: Best Actor, Best Actress, or Best Director... and The Two Towers didn't get a nomination in any of those categories.

Phantom Picks the Oscars:
Note: this is not necessarily reflective of who I think SHOULD win, just who I think WILL win.

Best Picture: The Hours
Best Actor: Jack Nicholson (About Schmidt)
Best Actress: Nicole Kidman (The Hours)
Best Director: Stephen Daldry (The Hours)
Best Sup. Actor: Paul Newman (Road to Perdition)
Best Sup. Actress: Meryl Streep (Adaptation)
Best Cinematography: Dion Beebe (Chicago)

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:20 pm

what about the best music caption. Phillip Glass did an awesome job with The Hours.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Addendum

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:03 am

Phantom Phan wrote:As if we needed any more evidence that the Oscars are simply a popularity contest and only loosely based on technical/performance achievement... how does The Two Towers NOT get nominated for Best Costuming? Give me a break. It got nominated for Best Picture, which is cool, but it doesn't stand a chance of winning. I don't think a movie has ever won best picture without also winning one of these three: Best Actor, Best Actress, or Best Director... and The Two Towers didn't get a nomination in any of those categories.

Phantom Picks the Oscars:
Note: this is not necessarily reflective of who I think SHOULD win, just who I think WILL win.

Best Picture: The Hours
Best Actor: Jack Nicholson (About Schmidt)
Best Actress: Nicole Kidman (The Hours)
Best Director: Stephen Daldry (The Hours)
Best Sup. Actor: Paul Newman (Road to Perdition)
Best Sup. Actress: Meryl Streep (Adaptation)
Best Cinematography: Dion Beebe (Chicago)
Okay, so I'm being indecisive. I think Daniel Day-Lewis stands a good chance in the Best Actor category, Julianne Moore could take the Best Actress category, and Chris Cooper appears to be a strong favorite for the Best Sup. Actor category (for some reason; "Adaptation" is possibly the most over-rated movie of the year, a severe disappointment from the same guy who came up with "Being John Malkovich"). I also wouldn't be surprised to see a big name like Polanski or Scorsese win the Best Director award, although I think Polanski still has a stigma attached to him.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:52 am

I did not like Gangs of NY much, but I wouldn't mind seeing Scorcese get an Oscar. I think that Jack Nicholson has a good chance, but come on, how many Oscars does one guy need? Julianne Moore could have it also.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:44 pm

Gangs is one of the biggest steamy piles I have seen in a long time. Martin should not win for this one. I cannot believe I not only wasted my money, but those irreplacable hours of my life experiencing what became an absolute mess during the last reel.

I really do not understand how Peter Jackson (not to be confused with the BSR's Pete Jackson) could get snubbed for his work on TTT. Talk about absolutely fabulous moviemaking!!! His vision is a true piece of work. The scope and depth are breathtaking in the amount of variety and contrast used.

But hey, Martin is old. Let's give him a nod for making a pile of dung...

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:11 am

You have a good point, I did not like the movie...Actually, I hated it. But I have never had a problem with Scorsese's works before. Yeah, however The Recruit was a frigin' awsome movie

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:52 pm

I was jus wondering what movie got the most nominations. And who got nominated for best picture of the year? Is there anyway to get tickets to the Oscars? or is the red carpet the closest you can get?
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:06 pm

split5050 wrote:I was jus wondering what movie got the most nominations. And who got nominated for best picture of the year? Is there anyway to get tickets to the Oscars? or is the red carpet the closest you can get?
Chicago got the most nominations (13).

The Best Picture candidates are:
Chicago
Gangs of New York
The Hours
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Pianist

Access inside the Kodak theatre for the actual Awards ceremony itself is by invitation only. Access to the "red carpet" bleachers is the closest us commoners can get, but even that access is severely limited. You must fill out an application for a bleacher seat including your name, passport and Social Security numbers, and agree to be subject to a background check [no exceptions or substitutions allowed for any of these; yes, you MUST have a passport (federal identification) as opposed to a driver's license (state identification)]. If approved, you are mailed an identification badge for the bleachers. There are only 400 available seats, and the applications normally start getting accepted in the fall. Needless to say, there's no chance of attending this year's awards unless you've already got your spot reserved.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:19 am

I think that it would be fun to go, but that would be to much work for me. But I think the LOTR: Two Towers should win.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:24 pm

Sorry to say, I mean Two Towers was great, heck, better than the first I thought, but I don't think its worthy enough to win the Best Picture award. It would be a huge longshot if TT beat movies like Chicago and The Hours which have over five times the nominations that it does, and movies that are also in such critical acclaim as those two. It would be cool to see an underdog like that take the top prize, but it will have to beat some impossible odds.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS