I heard on the radio.....

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

nitsud92506
New Recruit
New Recruit

I heard on the radio.....

Post by nitsud92506 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:34 am

I know I am not the only one that listens to "Kevin and Bean" in the mornings on KROQ. Man I love those guys, they're funny (even though they always diss the *909ers*-area code-).

If you listen to them on a regular basis, you might now what I am talking about... a couple days ago they had a whole discussion about marching bands. They mentioned several college bands in particular: Depending on how you take some of the things they said, their comments might either be insults or complements:

JUST QUOTING/PARAPHRASING THINGS THAT I REMEMBER OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD: (just know this- they are not always serious about what they say)

"Ohio state...wow... they can make an 'O' on the feild. How hard can that be?"
"USC might be spectacular even though they play 'that song' all the time"
"You might be great at what you do .... but in the end, your still in marching band *whispers* Like tap dancing."
"band is usually reserved for those with no athletic abilities."

This whole conversation was spurred out of a discussion of the new Drumile movie coming out on Friday. Will it or wont it be successful in the box office They don't hate bandies, they even wanted to showcase one of their co-workers, 'dave(something like that) the king of mexico,' who was a drummer in his high school band.

I did agree with some of the things that they said. Like "Parents pay enourmous amounts of money for their children to be apart of it." (true, true). or "Who can honestly say that they go to games just to see the bands?" (Band doesn't get that much credit for what they do. Games aren't usually a place to showcase bands anyway) Don't hate these guys. Even if you don't listen to these guys....do you have any comments?

Dustin

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Non-athletic!!!!!

Post by split5050 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:44 am

I guess it just goes to show how ignorant the people of the outside world really are. Just the other day two of my neighbors were talking to each other. The one guy said "the High school band is soo loud. I have to go to sleep at 8 and get up at 3 and I always here their coaches(haha) yelling at them."
I thought to myself, wow. People know that we work just as hard as everyone else. I was in DL my freshman year and running, playing, and not looking stupid is incrediblly challenging. I am now in CG and everyone at our shool knows just how hard we work. I have also played water polo. the hardest sport in the world. and i must say that i think that CG is actually harder.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:20 pm

oops my last message seemed to contradict its self. I meant to say that there are a lot of ignorant people, but there are some out there that do know what us bandos, colorguardians, and dummers go through.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:28 pm

oops my last message seemed to contradict its self. I meant to say that there are a lot of ignorant people, but there are some out there that do know what us bandos, colorguardians, and dummers go through.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

band and guard

Post by Cole167888 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:24 pm

well, at our school band and guard doesnt get much respect..they dnot realize how hard we work..people call it a cult, well it kind of is...anyway, theres a post on benicianews.com (tell me how stupid this is, there posting about tenn "life" in benicia, mostly "whos hot in 05?"or "whos the hottest mormon at our school") but there was one that said "whos the hottest guard member" and there wasnt a single answer o it (even tho i dont think it desrved an answer, i think that site deserves to be burned) it was all "gaurd are just wannabe cheerleaders" and my english class can watch the guard practice outside in the quad and most people say "they arent that good are they.." they dont understand that if you can go through a whole routine with one drop, thats a good routine..well, that was entirely too long...but thats ok, its always aggravated me..its not really fair
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Annie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: band and guard

Post by Annie » Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:22 pm

Cole167888 wrote:well, at our school band and guard doesnt get much respect..they dnot realize how hard we work..people call it a cult, well it kind of is...
I know entirely what you are talking about. Our school hardly gives us any credit/respect even when they do know that we work hard... 3 mornings a week, 3 hours on Tuesday nights and then football games, during the season. First thing- I was coming to school one night during this past Fiesta Bowl week and saw on the marquee "Congratulations Football, 3rd in State"... Football ended a while ago, and well, us marching bands in Fiesta keep goin' yah know. And uh, reality check... your school marching band got 3rd in the nation, not to brag... but it's true. (our school sucks) And, for the colorguard and the "wanna be cheerleader" thing, I know. Once the band and colorguard were in the middle of campus for a big football game that night, warming up. The cheerleaders walk by the colorguard and make "mooing" sounds... totally uncool. So, I know how you feel.
Annie
MRHS
Tuba SL