Books

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

bandgeekmafia

Books

Post by bandgeekmafia » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:12 am

Do any of you have suggestions?
I've been trying desperately to read a good book.

Thanks
Love your friends . . . Die laughing

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:40 am

Tom Clancy's Net Force series or Op Center
Series of Unfortunate Events is a really good set of books, if you're looking for short reading
Stormbreaker and other's in the Alex Rider series

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:03 pm

Speaking of books... I'm getting 7% back for resale on my text books. The university is a monopoly.
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.

SOTWrifles

BOOKS=No money

Post by SOTWrifles » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:47 pm

In my freshman Lit class we had to read 15 books this semester which cost me over 100 dollars. I will get back 16.75 from that.

GOT TO LOVE THE COST OF COLLEGE!!!!

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:39 pm

Got 2 dollars back for a 30 dollar book. Oh well but my 120 dollar Brain and Behavior book got me 50. Spent most of my book buyback money on gifts.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:13 pm

Back to Bandgeekmafia's ORIGINAL post.

I just read Memoirs of a Geisha and REALLY liked it. It's a great story and its beautifully written. I like it.

Umm... Besides that, I love older stuff. Classics, like 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and Three Musketeers. Kids these days (and no, i don't necessarily mean you, i mean kids in general) should really be reading more of those, they're great.

If you just want a quick beach read or a one-nigher, the Nicholas Sparks romance novels are good stuff. And if you haven't seen it already, read A Walk to Remember before you watch it, it'll be better that way.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:37 pm

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

...and, if you really want a challenge...

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:59 am

How was A Clockwork Orange, the movie? Never saw it or read the book, but I've been getting mixed reactions

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:37 pm

The movie was pretty good in capturing the spirit and essence of the book, and Malcolm McDowell is brilliant. However, the movie does have the flaw of leaving out the final chapter of the book. Which was fine with me, as I thought the book's ending was a bit of a cop-out.

The movie is extremely brutal, and too many people aren't bright enough to grasp the underlying social commentary. The movie is not glorifying violence, it's trying to repulse you.

The book is an incredibly difficult read, and Anthony Burgess basically invented his own language for Alex and his droogs in the book. The language is called "Nadsat" and is a combination of butchered English, Russian, and English slang.

Lastly, this story (book and movie) are most definitely NOT for young people. The movie was rated X when it came out in 1971, and deservedly so. The book and movie contain numerous scenes of violence and rape.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:40 pm

Despite all those disclaimers, the movie is still considered a classic by most. It currently sits at #64 of the Top 250 movies of all time.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0066921

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:43 pm

Speaking of great books being turned into great movies, check out One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. I saw the movie (with Jack Nicholson) that swept the Oscars first, but the book is a million times better. In fact, the book makes the movie look not that good at all.

Fondor1

Post by Fondor1 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:56 pm

If you like Science Fiction, I like The Homecoming Series, starting with The Memory to Earth. Either that or Ender's Game series.

I can't believe no one has montioned The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

Or perhaps a rather pessimistic view of utopian societies...
  • 1984 - George Orwell
  • Brave New World - Adolf (I think?) Huxley
-Fondor1

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:49 am

I am definately going to have to suggest anything by J.R.R. Tolkein. Especialy the LOTR series, and The Hobbit. I have read the Hobbit twice, and the LOTR twice. They are full of adventure, and fantasy. If you are into these sort of things, then they are:
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. By J.R.R. Tolkein
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:45 am

Yea! I have a lot of friends who strongly recommend Tolkien. I personally don't like Tolkien's writing style... it's very slow, but that's because there's a lot of emphasis on description. I didn't make it through the Hobbit. :read: :?

stbbdtpt3
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stbbdtpt3 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:10 am

A History of Drum and Bugle Corps Book! (maybe that's just me though cause im a drum corps nerd) 8-)
...but besides that, I'm reading a book called Paradise Lost by John Milton. It's really challeging though because it's similar to Shakespearian language...but still good-roughly based upon Adam and Eve, so if you're completely anti-religion, maybe you won't like it. I'm not even that religious though and I find it intriguing.
But trust me on the Drum Corps Book :wink: