The Standing Ovation

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Do you think the standing ovation is overused?

Yes
39%
No
39%
I haven't noticed anything
21%

Total votes: 33

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:19 pm

Boy, I think some of you are a little off base. There is a big differance between a Standing O in a field or winter compitition and a concert setting. I compititions, it is a long standing tradition to stand at the end of a show to show respect as the group leaves the field or floor. Goes back to when Drum Corps carried the Colors on the field, then trooped the stands at the end of the show. In a concert setting, standing ovations should be reserved for those very special moments, (at the end of the selection or concert). Either for very very well done selection, soloist, or a very special performance in general. Just my opinion. (based on years of experience.)

cyndaminthia
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cyndaminthia » Thu May 08, 2003 10:55 pm

I think sometimes it depends on where you are...like, usually, we'd get standing ovations at field shows from our fans, and dood, does anyone ever sit down during awards? At least when they're announcing your class? Hehe! But I remember at the Sierra Cup in 1999 where we got a standing ovation from the entire stadium. I don't think those standing ovations are overused. :) That was great.
Winning is not a tradition. Winning is something you earn.

Thousand Oaks Lancer Band 1996-2000
Drum Major 1999-2000

Dune00z
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Dune00z » Sat May 31, 2003 1:50 pm

I dont understand the problem with peolpe giving standing ovations...
At Helix, our concerts usually ended spectacular at every show so... I always felt that we dereved them. We are a great concert band so I always thought that if you were great, you deserved it.