The Ultimate Field Tournament

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

The Ultimate Field Tournament

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:25 pm

Ok, for you band nerds out there who like to discuss band even off-topic, here's something I've pondered.

If there were one big field tournament which featured all of the best bands in Southern California,

1. What would the tournament be called?
2. Where would it take place?
3. Who would be the judges?
4. Who would compete (any band from Southern California applies)?

Keep in mind this is a fantasy-type subject. And so sorry for excluding NorCal bands. Enjoy. :)

Band Fan

Post by Band Fan » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:29 am

I have often wondered what would happen if they had a tournament between the best of California or Southern California. There are so many awesome groups divided into so many different circuit that I really wonder what would happen if everyone competed together. This will probably never happen, look at how long it would take and how expensive it would be, but its still fun to theorize. I bet the tournament would have some cheesy name, like most do. In terms of location, it would have to be done in a huge stadium with lots of accommodations. I think they would probably try to pull an even number of WBA and SCSBOA judges so as to try and balance things. It would be really interesting to see what kind of scoring system they used, that is if it ever happened. I think the competition would be great. I have always wondered what would happen if groups like Etiwanda, Chino, Rancho Bernardo, Vista, RBV, Thousand Oaks, Upland, Ayala, Mission etc... competed together in a battle for the title of best marching band in So. Cal. In terms of winners, I think that Ayala, Upland, Etiwanda and Rancho Bernardo would all be pretty evenly matched and it would be a great competition. Too bad it will probably never happen. :(

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:03 am

The tournament shall be called the Battle of the Big Bands and will be held in the Rose Bowl. But instead of marching drill and playing music, the bands will fight. Braveheart style. Hand to hand combat with the only weapons being guard sabres, sharpened rifles and drum sticks. Just for fun, we could set up random landmines on the field. The Battle will be set up in a bracket system, winner obviously takes all.

And obviously, it's two in the morning and im bored.
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:29 pm

SoCalSpinN wrote:The tournament shall be called the Battle of the Big Bands and will be held in the Rose Bowl. But instead of marching drill and playing music, the bands will fight. Braveheart style. Hand to hand combat with the only weapons being guard sabres, sharpened rifles and drum sticks. Just for fun, we could set up random landmines on the field. The Battle will be set up in a bracket system, winner obviously takes all.

And obviously, it's two in the morning and im bored.
Hehe that sounds fun :lol:

Arcadia Trumpeter

Post by Arcadia Trumpeter » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:11 pm

I hate to say it, but I think my band would win an event like that (as far as braveheart style fighting goes) based solely on the fact that we have a lot more people. Nothing beats numbers.

By the way, if you didn't look at my screen name, I'm from Arcadia (450 strong)

MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:35 pm

i dont kno...our band is pretty good at nut bashin
Trpt 4 Life---!xus nayr

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:32 pm

We would actully suck at the fighting though, all the rich people would just sue everyone :roll:

crispcookie88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crispcookie88 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:45 pm

I know that as soon as my school gets on the field you guys will pee your pants in terror, and step on the landmines and blow yourselves up. :twisted: We won't even need the sabres, rifles, or drumsticks. j/k

hey Paul like my signature
chewy cookies are good, but crisp cookies are better....

crispcookie88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crispcookie88 » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:49 pm

i'm from el dorado. actually i really don't know my school would do because some of us or pretty wimpy, but other people not so much.
chewy cookies are good, but crisp cookies are better....

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:46 pm

:D hey euphman, what school did u say u came from again?
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.