Downloading music

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Downloading music

Post by engineer » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:10 am

We've all downloaded music before, if not, where have you been? How many songs do you download on average? Do you do it just to for a song or the entire album? I used to have more purchased CD's than burned CD's but with the nice broadband in college, I've been able to download entire albums. Now my collection has more burned cd's than purchased.

I know it's wrong, but I would never download an album of a local artist, gotta support them.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Downloading music

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:55 am

mRdJhay wrote:We've all downloaded music before, if not, where have you been? How many songs do you download on average? Do you do it just to for a song or the entire album? I used to have more purchased CD's than burned CD's but with the nice broadband in college, I've been able to download entire albums. Now my collection has more burned cd's than purchased.

I know it's wrong, but I would never download an album of a local artist, gotta support them.
Lucky Cal Poly hasn't cracked down on downloads yet. UCI bought a machine that cuts your bandwidth the second it detects downloading through a program such as Kazaa. Here the school pays for internet by the amount of data transferred. Some people have found ways around it through port sniffing and port switching.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Downloading music

Post by engineer » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:06 pm

[UCI]-Mike wrote: Lucky Cal Poly hasn't cracked down on downloads yet. UCI bought a machine that cuts your bandwidth the second it detects downloading through a program such as Kazaa. Here the school pays for internet by the amount of data transferred. Some people have found ways around it through port sniffing and port switching.
Cal Poly has in some shape and form. We used to have direct connect which let us directly download from other computers, but they took that away because it was in complete violation of ResNet rules, we've found our ways around. Kazaa only works with versions 2 and above, same goes for Morpheus. Lime Wire has been unaffected and Aimster/Madster was shut down.

skankinmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

well...

Post by skankinmello » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:20 pm

While I think D/Ling whole albums are wrong... not that the artists really need the money or anything... I think a few songs are cool. But definetley support the local scene...
But think if everyone had burnt cds then the artist wouldn't work cause they're getting no money... well from cd sells... then they won't want to perform... unless they truly love performing n stuff... *+looks around like she knows what she's talking about+* Yep. Atleast support your fav artist and buy a real cd eh?
"Water isn't healthy, it doesn't have anything in it."

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:48 pm

Sometimes though, it seems like making music isn't art anymore. It's become to objectified (with the object being to sell as many records as possible). Whatever happened to music being something created out of enjoyment. I'll give you that it does take money to create the product, but still, it's been blown up. Call me overtly idealist.
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:25 pm

i am a downloading machine. albums, singles, everything. 8-)

trakix

actually

Post by trakix » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:12 pm

downloading doesn't actually hurt the artist directly. They barely get any cut from their cd's selling. The artists make their money through concerts, promotions, tv appearances etc... Although it does cause the producers to lose money on said artist and maybe will not produce another album for them. So, I guess what I'm saying is, don't download too much cause in the end, it hurts everyone involved. (although dl'ing is perfectly fine for getting stuff that you can't find anywhere else!)

Thanks.