Almost died, never would have played again

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Almost died, never would have played again

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:21 pm

I broke my clavicle in 2000. I was paralyzed in my left arm for two years. I carried a sousaphone on that broken clavicle 3 weeks after for a parade. Carrying that made my clavicle grow downward. It pressed on my Brachial Plexus, a big nerve cord in your neck, and cut off the feeling to my arm. I looked for years for a way to fix it, but no one knew what was wrong.

I finally found a doctor that knew what was wrong. My doctor hadn't done the procedure in 8 years because there was a high failure rate. I had Thorasic Outlet Syndrom. They had to take out my first rib or I would have to be paralyzed forever. I got all of my affairs in order in case if I didn't come through; I cryed all over my horns.

On November 25, 2002 they made an inch cut on my neck on top of my colar bone. They moved my nerve cord away and had to pull my lung away from my back so they could cut the back of my rib cage. My lung nearly collapsed and they said they thought I had a stroke. They didn't think I would make it through. The surgery took about 5 hours.

I woke up....and all 30 some doctors were looking at me. My surgery was recorded and put on DVD. No one there has ever seen that procedure. I figured I would never play again, especially trombone....now I feel everything, even heat and cold!

Music means more to me now than ever. Whenever I get a chance, I play, and sometimes I just cry. And the whole time, everyone in my band thought I was just a whiny baby that didn't want to carry a sousaphone. I made my band cry, and probably my director too, when I walked in there (imagine an old woman walking all bent over) in silk PJs and a bath robe, all drugged up on Vicodin. They believed me then.

Now what are you going to do? Read another topic? Post more? Do you love music? Why don't you go thank the people who got you interested in music. Play your horn....like you'll never play again.
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:43 pm

I'm going to use Hoshwa's case here:

There is quite a difference between playing and being paralyzed and playing and dying.

You didn't have to give up your instrument because you might die...it just so happened you didn't seek the proper medical attention beforehand...
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:08 pm

Who are you to say whether I had to give up my instrument? I just posted how I almost died and most likely wouldn't have ever played again after the surgery. I did seek "proper" medical attention. It took 2 years to find a doctor who knew what was wrong. What's your problem?

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:59 pm

I think what he meant to say is around the lines of you are still able to play your instrument. You said so yourself that you play every chance you get. Hoshwa might not get that chance to play his instrument every time he gets a chance to. You're lucky you can still play yours.
OHS '01 - '05

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

ok

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:31 pm

Okay, now I understand. Who is this other person and why are you comparing me to them? That sucks that they can't play theirs, but I couldn't play mine for 2 years and they thought I was going to die! Why is not playing your horn worse than dieing???? I would be dead! I don't understand why you guys are slottering me...please explain.

Hoshwa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hoshwa » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:40 pm

yeah i dont understand his comparisson either.
i couldn't even begin to imagine what you've gone thru.
i feel pretty stupid now for complaining about my thing. but i was pretty emotional yesterday.
i'm glad you're ok now.
but you went thru more than i could even imagine.

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:10 pm

What happened to you?

I appriciate your support. Hey, if you ever want some support you can pm me anytime! I could use some support too. I get emotional all of the time. Just let me know!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:03 pm

Hey-
My apologies if anything was taken negativley.
Nothing bad was intended!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:52 pm

formermarcher wrote:Hey-
My apologies if anything was taken negativley.
Nothing bad was intended!
Just and FYI I have sorta noticed, is we cant always tell how you are trying to say what you are saying in your posts (if that made sense), so sometimes it gets taken the wrong way. But we know deep down inside formermarcher has a good heart, and no negative intentions are meant. :P :wink:

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:06 pm

hope you both can play in the long run because that sucks to lose playing your instrument
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:34 pm

Don't feel stupid, Hoshwa.