Trumpets Rule!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

do trumpets rule or wut

yes
41%
always
9%
forever
50%

Total votes: 22

stbbdtpt3
New Recruit
New Recruit

LittleFerg...You COULD not be more correct

Post by stbbdtpt3 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:36 am

Oh my goodness,
LittleFerg knows how to beat down the arrogance (not long-lived) of a trombone player, who somehow thinks his instrument is better than that of the magnificent and might I add SACRED trumpet. I could not stop laughing when I read your post. You're hilarious! well, I'll talk to you later and will enjoy watching you and AB battle it out. :twisted: :arrow: MUST WIN!!! TRUMPETS RULE FOREVER!!!!! :jester: = AB(and all other t-bone players) :king: BL/MK (and all other tpt players) Oh and I am certain AB is :cry: lol

JazzTBone123
New Recruit
New Recruit

My Rebuttle

Post by JazzTBone123 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:46 am

Mr. LittleFerg,
I am willing to admit it is quite pathetic to say that the trombone is a
"push-pull trumpet," it is true! But then again why was the trombone created for almost every voice (soprano, alto, tenor/baritone, bass)? If composers weren't so hungry for a beautiful, resonant timbre, they wouldn't have used the trombone in their works. The trumpet cannot stand alone, it's timbre is gaunt and empty without the trombone.
Here is some textual evidence of the trombone's superiority:

"The trombone appeared after the mid-15th century, evidently as an advance on the Renaissance slide trumpet."

"Mozart used trombones only in his operas and sacred works."

"In my opinion, the trombone is the true head of that family
of wind instruments which I have named the epic one. It
possesses nobility and grandeur to the highest degree; it
has all the serious and powerful tones of sublime musical
poetry, from religious calm and imposing accents, to savage,
orgiastic outbursts. Directed by the will of a master, the
trombones can chant like a choir of priests, threaten, utter
gloomy sighs, a mournful lament or a bright hymn of glory.
They can break forth into awe-inspiring cries, and awaken
the dead or doom the living with their fearful voices."
Hector Berlioz

"You don't choose to play the trombone, It chooses you. It's
a loud, extrovert instrument, that makes everyone sit up
and take notice."
Simon Hogg,
Trombonist,
Fine Arts Brass Ensemble

Someone asked how Emory Remington could stand
teaching trombone for 40 hours a week. Without hesitation,
he responded, "That's easy, I don't teach trombone--I teach people
how to play the trombone."

"Many a sinner has played himself into heaven on the
trombone, thanks to the [Salvation] Army."
George Bernard Shaw,
Major Barbara ( 1907 )

"What the hell are the trumpets doing?" -Every Trombonist Who Ever Lived

"When a trumpet section is in tune, it's the First Sign of the Apocalypse" -Anonymous

Until you present some real evidence that the trumpet is superior to the glorious trombone, I will not credit your illogical argument based on weak acts of emotion. I trust that you'll present a "real argument" next time.

Until then,

-Andrew Bobka, an established member of one of the world's most esteemed fraternities, A TROMBONE SECTION.

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Well, well, well...!

Post by LittleFerg » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:42 pm

I must admit myself that that was quite a grouping of, what seems to be, convincing quotes. I was informed, MK, that you found these quotes online, and I must admit that I did find them, and they are real. However, some of the personal that you quoted are not esteemed enough in the mental manner to have there word taken seriously. The quote that most intruiged me was that written by Hector Berlioz, who I then thought I might research. Ahh yes, Hector. A very proud trombone player (Oxymoron, except HB and AB) seemed to be a knowledgeable person to quote. Although, after researching his history, his life was rather embarrasing. Barely making wages off of his trombone profession, surprise surprise, he lived a poor and sad life. He was then driven into madness at the age of 32, probably before he wrote that quote. He then took it upon himself to end his life by jumping off a building... can you take this guy seriously!!? Ohh, not to mention it says that he started by playing a trumpet; he knew he was a sinner in life, so he then switched to trombone. Sad, really.

"That's easy, I don't teach trombone--I teach people
how to play the trombone."

Well, that's nice. What the hell does this have to do qith anything? I know, I know. You tried your best to find a quote supporting trombones over trumpets. This quote only proves that that must be damn hard to do. This quote basically says, "I don't teach (trombones can't touch trumpets)-- I teach people how to play the (pitiful, lonely, large, obnoxious, worse piece of crap ever bewitched on the planet earth)."

"What the hell are the trumpets doing?" -Every Trombonist Who Ever Lived

"We're doing everything that trombone players can never concieve of in their wildest dreams!" -Every Trumpeter "blessed" with the sound of a neighboring Trombone.

"When a trumpet section is in tune, it's the First Sign of the Apocalypse" -Anonymous

Alow me to correctly quote this wonderful statement.
"When a trombone section is in tune, it's the first sign of mass hysteria" -ME

Until you present some real evidence that the trombone is superior to the unconcievably holytrumpet, I will not credit your illogical argument based on insane freaks and acts of stupidity. I trust that you'll present a lawer quality arguement next time. Do your research buddy!!!

drumcorpmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumcorpmello » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:48 pm

You know what i'm tired of hearing from trombone players?....."trumpets, you're playing too loud"...........you know what.......why dont you stop being a panzy and start playing with some balls. I might then be able to hear you over the clarinets.

drumcorpmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumcorpmello » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:54 pm

To BL, MK and AB,
this is ST.......hehe.......i am hungry for trb flesh

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

My oh my...

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:04 pm

As the administrator of this discussion forum it bothers me when I see petty bickering over such a subject!!! After all.... everbody knows that a band isn't a band without a TUBA section! Therefore tubas rule the world! :wink:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

mr. jt

drumline

Post by mr. jt » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:46 pm

lol, i would like to see a marching band w/o a drumline...

Sparkle87

about trumpets...

Post by Sparkle87 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:50 pm

Ya sure trumpets are kewl, but why do you guys insist on playing so high and gross?? I don't get it. I LOVE low brass though, if I could (& maybe I will) I'd switch.
"God only gives us what we can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much." Mother Teresa

"Reaction, reaction, reaction...." Inside joke

"...AND TALK..." Inside joke

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Yep... ST

Post by LittleFerg » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:11 pm

That was very, very true. Trombones need to put out in a new way than what they are used to. If I can hear a clarinet over the "brilliant"sound of a trombone, how can I respect such a force? Trombones suck! MK: thanks for your support, trumpets know whats going on.

JazzTBone123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Loud and Proud...when necessary

Post by JazzTBone123 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:45 am

Drumcorpsmello, it is so nice of you to enlighten us with your presence. I recall a certain Saturday rehearsal when trumpets were blaring into space at a volume which the angels in heaven could hear. You might think it was really cool that the director said we needed to play louder, a lot louder, but wait a minute, our dynamic marking was "P". Learn how to balance to lower voices, it's a great talent. And btw, the tuba is supreme to all instruments. I was lucky enough to have one as a bass part in my trombone quartet last year. Trumpets AND trombones are nothing without the tuba. But then again, trumpets are nothing......without trombones.

Stay out of this argument, ST, leave the bickering to the big boys!

AB

P.S. LittleFerg, I'm working on my response to you, I've had some time issues to deal with.

drumcorpmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumcorpmello » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:46 pm

JazzTbone,
can you not handle another trumpet player, you seem to think you have everything under control. However, you are a trombone player so what the hell does that mean. Trumpet, all together is just a better instrument, i dont just mean that everyone wants to play it, but that more people are in favor of trumpet music than trombone music. Lets look to the past; famous jazz legends. Not too many trombone players. Miles Davis, Dizzy, Jelly Roll Mortin, Louis Armstrong.....the list goes on. Playing the trumpet got them to the top. I can think of maybe one pretty famous trombone player. None of them really stick out to people. My case rests.
ST

stbbdtpt3
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stbbdtpt3 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:09 pm

First of all, I would like to say AMEN to drumcorpsmello's statement and to add on I was wondering about the issues that JazzTbone supposedly has. Hmm...sounds like the only issues you have is trying to figure out how to come back to 3 pretty dominating trumpet (kings) players that know exactly what they are talking about. Just face it AB-trombone players will never live up to trumpet players. In playing, and even in everyday life. Trumpet is just the best instrument...it's not your fault you got stuck with the trombone~oh wait...it is your fault and for that....i will apologize because I do feel sorry when it comes to that...And you know that all the information us trumpets have come up with is ten times more valid than yours. I mean, come on...you had to look all over the internet while we, well just used common sense because that's all it takes to know that trumpets are better than trombones. Anyways...logic is all it takes so when you get some and have a revelation...let us all know. That is all.
MK :king: Queen of the Trumpets
aaaaa-thank you (in the words of BL)

JazzTBone123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Wait A Minute!!!

Post by JazzTBone123 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:36 pm

I think that you are under the wrong impression, stbdtpt3. How many other trombone players have you seen arguing with this trumpet mess? Oh you haven't......So I guess the old saying IS TRUE, "the ratio is always 3 trumpets to 1 trombone." You silly sopranos need to argue me as a group, especially when I am self-sufficient, and with the exception of LittleFerg, you haven't presented any words worth considering. It's about time you let your learned representative stand among the pathetic group of trumpets, and argue a great cause!

You are all very welcome, YOU STILL HAVE NOT WON,

AB, a future lawyer of America.

JazzTBone123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Damn you AB!

Post by JazzTBone123 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:54 pm

You just need to give up man! The only thing that you are saying now is that trumpets cannot survive without trombones. OKAY!!!! But that has little to do with the fact that trombones can never amount to a fraction of a trumpet player. The quote you presented is correct. THere are 3 trumpets to every 1 trombone because it is proven by Darwin himself. The theory of evolution and selectivity. Trombones were a failed attempt on an evolution of the trumpet. The push-pull is a lame and large failure. Trumpets are also highly selective because of there holy and jazzy sound. Sooorrrrrryyy!!! You lose with your repulsive sounding slippen'slidey. Trumpets rule forever. Not to discriminate, but I am a Trumpet supremisist. Trumpets are the superior instrument. All of us (MK ST and myself) realize that you suck!!!

Thank you, a-thank you! BL

JazzTBone123
New Recruit
New Recruit

What an idiot!

Post by JazzTBone123 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:59 pm

Musicians beware! BL is a trumpet player....only unfortunate souls like him would not log in his own name and respond to my post. Please realize he is not capable of higher level thinking, technology is oblivious to him...It's ok, I don't expect much from trumpet players anyway!

Thank you very much from the real JazzTBone123,

AB