RIAA Hit List

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

RIAA Hit List

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:12 pm

Read the story. Urge your friends to do the same. This could really open up some eyes.

http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/stor ... 00,00.html

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:38 pm

um yeah, on thing they didnt say was the only way they can catch them is if they SHARE a file. Theres no way of "catching" someone if they just download, and don't share.

I myself love the ease of filesharing, or so-called "music Pirates".

Happy Downloading!

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:14 pm

mIRC will never be stopped...

yeah although that happens to the people that share files, if you use KaZaA Lite K++ it blocks the ports that they use to scan people's computers, it's alot safter, and you can still share.

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:46 pm

I have kazaa and I made it so I dont share files, so hopefully I wont get caught...
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

crazy

Post by RifleLova » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:09 pm

It will take a lot of time to get through all the people in kazaa but still...it's scary!!! i dont use kazaa...i use Imesh...does anyone know about Imesh or anything?
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:30 pm

Well Wildabeast--I came over here to see what you had posted based on your request over on the marching band area, and I thank you for bringing this topic up. Because if you noticed the posts that came in after yours, apparently a lot of people still feel that somehow it's ok to innocently "swap" copyrighted music files, with someone even suggesting to use a particular service because it blocks certain information that doesn't allow the RIAA people to find out who is doing what.

Copyrighted music file swapping is stealing. Pure and simple. There is NO argument on the face of this planet that will tell me that I'm wrong, because I'm not. If you did NOT pay for a music file that is copyrighted, or, if you did not receive permission from the composer of said music to have it for free, than people are stealing. This makes me an old stick in the mud, but funny...I will never ever be posting on a pageantry-based discussion group, "Oh, they'll never get through the whole list of people, so we're probably pretty safe." You know why you won't?

Simple--I don't steal other people's music.

Now--where did I leave my flame suit???

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Piracy

Post by altohack » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:28 pm

RyanTurner wrote:Copyrighted music file swapping is stealing. Pure and simple.
I don't know if anyone wants to read this, but for my church, I wrote an essay on piracy, so for your entertainment, I'll post it here.

Piracy According to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, piracy is "the unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material." In the world today, people of ALL ages have used something pirated. Some people believe piracy to be an ethical controversy; however, the truth is that it’s absolutely wrong. Something must be done about the massive amount of piracy today, because it affects our world in many ways.

What is piracy? Piracy is stealing. It is taking what you would normally have to pay for. There are many different types of piracy. One simple form is taking a video camera to a movie theater and recording the movie. Although this is not common in the developed world, it is still done in Asia, where people record movies and sell them on the street. Essentially, this is paying for one ticket in a theater and smuggling in as many people as you sell the illegal version to. Clearly this is wrong. Although this form is not used as much in places like the United States, other forms of piracy still are. In 1999, Shawn Fanning made a program called Napster famous. In Napster, he and his friends shared music, which eliminated all of them having to buy the same CD. This was a form of piracy, illegally reproducing copyrighted songs. Now people can not only download music, but movies and software as well. The wrongful act of piracy is rapidly spreading, which is why it concerns us so much today.

Piracy has an amazing affect on many people in the world today. Not only in the modern world but in other places piracy involves men and women in other countries as well. In Pakistan, for example, you can often purchase pirated software for only a few dollars, in comparison to the $30-100+ you would spend in the United States. Our celebrities, although a fraction of our population, aren't benefiting as much as they use to from the music industry. Their success is widely known and affects us in a psychological manner. The failure of Napster influenced our lives as well. Napster became popular throughout the world, and soon, everyone was downloading songs. The amount of CDs bought went down at a drastic rate. Before, artists made a lot of profit off of their CDs, and after Napster, it went down. It affected the economy greatly. Napster was eventually shut down, and now you must pay to access Napster. At the downfall of Napster, many new programs arose. Kazaa and Morpheus, just the two of the most popular have served the same purpose as Napster, however elevating it extremely. There are lawsuits now going on dealing with these two programs, and many threats are going out. For example, chances are if you use Kazaa right now, you have access to a worm called Benjamin, set out to warn the users of Kazaa. People who still have Kazaa on their computer can get heavily fined because “potential fines are a whopping $150,000 a song,” as reported by USA Today. Piracy affects the whole entertainment industry, which has a great power on our lives.

There are many solutions proposed by the United States government on helping to keep both parties happy, to allow people to download music as they would like and keep the artists and the entire music industry making a sufficient amount of money. The problem is not the users who download a few songs every once and a while, but the users who download entire movies the week before they come out, whole programs such as Adobe Photoshop, which currently costs $499.99 at regular price. I propose that the government allows people to download a certain amount of songs, etc. for free, and then charge them when they reach a certain limit. In order to prevent any beating the limit, a credit card number will be required; however, it will not be used unless the limit is exceeded. Another solution is putting harder bans on CD burning so it is essentially harder to get them to programs like Kazaa and Morpheus. There are so many things that can be done about piracy, and finally, the first steps are being taken towards it. As Queen Margaret in King Richard III says, “Hear me, you wrangling pirates, that fall out/ In sharing that which you have pill'd from me!” (Act I, scene III) She is condemning the pirates, which were, and still are criminals. Piracy is totally wrong, and because it is so big in our world, we MUST do something about it.

-(C) Altohack
No regrets

jrichmond68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jrichmond68 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:19 pm

1)

Looking through American history, you can see that the very people had a hand in the creation of the United States knew that destruction of property for the purpose of economic disruption was wrong and caused no change(re: Boston Tea Party)

Further, colonial and American philosophers/writers have shown that disobedience in a civic manner is unacceptable with freedom (re: Thomas Paine, Thoreau)

And America has ALWAYS stood for big business; the business of America is America’s business! (Re: Thomas Jefferson’s agrarian democracy, Teddy Roosevelt Trust-busting)

As you can see, and argument against file sharing is easy to find in the anneals of history!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)
The major fallacy made when people argue against file-sharing is the assumption that those who ‘pirate’ are hurting the digital industries by switching the means by which they acquire the digital product; an analogy would be the consumer shopping at Ralphs instead of Albertsons, therefore causing Albertsons to lose profits. The truth is, nobody has ever proved that people are buying less digital media now because they can download the same media from an illegal source. In fact, a recent study has shown quite the opposite:

http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_12 ... ex.html#g2
This very informative chart shows that where software is very expensive (adjusted for GDP), piracy rates climb higher. This shows that the cost of piracy to the consumer (moral values, time to download, etc.) is lower than the price of the software (money). So it follows that piracy is not a disease to the digital industries; it is a competitor. And while these industries are fighting piracy through old-fashioned big business means, they are ignoring the basic principles of making a better company: make it cheaper, faster, and easier for the consumer. Brand loyalty, too, can be factored into those ideas.

Unfortunately for the industries in the long run, they can be seen to be reacting to piracy in an opposite way to that I have described. These companies are making it more expensive for the consumer by refusing to lower the cost of CD’s even in times of national economic slowdown. They therefore make legal purchasing more difficult for the consumer as places of legitimate music retail are shutdown. And by suing their one time customers, they are pissing off a whole lot of other ones. Not smart.