Music Degrees: the music minor

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

snarimba
New Recruit
New Recruit

Music Degrees: the music minor

Post by snarimba » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:30 pm

How long does it take to get a minor?
Last edited by snarimba on Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Music Degrees: the music minor

Post by formermarcher » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:11 pm

snarimba wrote:I'm not going into music professionally, so getting a music major would be pointless, but how long does it usually take to get minor? And you can't really get a minor in like, a specific performance emphasis, right? Isn't a minor focusing on just music in general?
The thing about minors...they are not quite majors, but they might take 3 years.
Although I am not minoring in music, I will minor in Philosophy, and this is how it works:
I would have to take 2 basic Philosophy courses, plus 4 upper-divison courses. The thing is, I can't take upper division courses until I have enough credits to count as a junior. So in a sense, I'd have to do alot of philosophy work in my last two years in addition to my major.
I think all minor's in the UC system follow the same general idea. It depends on what school you are in.

If you minor, you minor in the enitre subject. I think you can only focus on a particular part of the topic unless you major in it...major in music with a focus on performance. My major right now is math with a emphasis on physics. Something like that...

Minor just demonstrates that you have some education in the particular subject. It won't do much for you, except help for graduate school. I think some places might hire you for it...depends on the major. If I minored in music with a major of math..well the minor wouldn't do much for me.

However, if I majored in education and minor in music, then more options are available.
Hope that helps!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007