What do you look for in a person of the opposite sex?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Puck
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Puck » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:52 pm

I wasn't going to get involved, but oh well....

Fist off, anyone can do what anyone wants to do, no matter what it is. It's not my place to tell others what they can or can't do, but I reserve the right to have an opinion about their actions.

That being stated, I wouldn't date a guy who's had a lot of partners. I don't appreciate the double standard that this country holds men and women to. It's "okay" for men to have many partners while women are termed "sluts." I don't think so, not in my book...
http://www.wginsider.com/
Visit WGInsider.com for the latest WGI Rankings and more!

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves." ~Will Durant

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:03 pm

[UCI]-Mike wrote:On a side note I kinda feel weird talking about all this amongst a band forum filled with minors.
I don't. This isn't the 1950s, I feel it's not only necessary and logical but also perfectly appropriate to start discussing reality (humans have sex drives) with teens. My mom and dad were always honest and open on the subject, and no, it didn't lead me to teen-promiscuity or teen pregnancy... or even sex itself. I didn't have sex for the first time until I was past my teens and in college.

I wonder how much we'd reduce teen pregnancy and the like if we stopped pussyfooting around the issue in sex ed and simply tell it how it is. Then again, that's just my nature.
WLwwcap wrote:Top two? If that is all a guy wants as his top two things, then he doesn't really love her.
To quote a really bad song, what's love got to do with it? Love and sex are two different things that can exist together or independently. Sure, love makes sex better (normally), but (1) love's not mandatory and (2) there's all sorts of types of love. Last year I ended an almost six-year relationship with a girl I loved with all my heart. I'm not looking for that right now, I'm enjoying being single. The girl's I have been with this year I've still loved: just "as a friend" or on other non-long-term-relationship levels.

Thus, if "sex" is in the top two things a guy wants from a girl, I'd say it's likely he's not too interested in a long term relationship. But that's the only determination I'd make about it.

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:02 am

wow this is really random
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

LoL

Post by MsNikki » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:24 pm

westlakewoodwindcaptain wrote: Top two? If that is all a guy wants as his top two things, then he doesn't really love her.
Top 3 is okay. 8-)
:lol: Okay, fine. It's one of the top THREE (but hey, I figured love was #1, what would #2 be?)
World Of Pageantry Champion!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: LoL

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:37 pm

MsNikki wrote:
westlakewoodwindcaptain wrote: Top two? If that is all a guy wants as his top two things, then he doesn't really love her.
Top 3 is okay. 8-)
:lol: Okay, fine. It's one of the top THREE (but hey, I figured love was #1, what would #2 be?)
Cooking? :roll: :lol:

(not for me, thank you)

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:05 pm

geeze i leave for a couple days and this topic totally changed

skankinmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by skankinmello » Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:13 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
UCI Mike wrote:On a side note I kinda feel weird talking about all this amongst a band forum filled with minors.
I don't. This isn't the 1950s, I feel it's not only necessary and logical but also perfectly appropriate to start discussing reality (humans have sex drives) with teens. My mom and dad were always honest and open on the subject, and no, it didn't lead me to teen-promiscuity or teen pregnancy... or even sex itself. I didn't have sex for the first time until I was past my teens and in college.

I wonder how much we'd reduce teen pregnancy and the like if we stopped pussyfooting around the issue in sex ed and simply tell it how it is. Then again, that's just my nature.
I feel like such a kid here...
Get over it. It gets annoying when old people think I have no idea about sex (not you guys) and tihink I should hear no such thing of the nature. We're all human... but it also annoys me when I hear of teens having sex...
"Babies having babies." heh okay anyway, it's gay...
well yeah, it's an off-topic forum, I say whatever goes

I feel like an idiot. :?
"Water isn't healthy, it doesn't have anything in it."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:29 am

skankinmello wrote:I feel like such a kid here...
You ARE just a kid. You're 16!!
but it also annoys me when I hear of teens having sex...
Doesn't bother me. All I ask for is for people (of ALL ages, from teenagers on up) to have responsible sex. That is a lot to ask, however, as most of society is stupid and irresponsible.

skankinmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by skankinmello » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:33 am

:? guess so...
"Water isn't healthy, it doesn't have anything in it."

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:29 am

All I ask for is for people (of ALL ages, from teenagers on up) to have responsible sex
er wut exactly is ur definition for responsible sex?
seems like an oxymoron in itself
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:09 am

TrumpetsRule17 wrote:er wut exactly is ur definition for responsible sex?
Why do you say that? The act of sex isn't irresponsible, it's just the fulfillment of natural human urges.

My guildlines would likely be as follows:
1. Don't put yourself in a position to be taken advantage of.
2. Make sure you know who you're sleeping with, and make sure you're aware of their STD-status.
3. Unless you're in a LONG term relationship and INTEND on having kids, use protection.

Sounds pretty simple to me.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:13 am

I was just thinking what if someone started a singles thread on this board.

Hook up at band tournaments and concerts. haha
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

oxymoron

Post by MsNikki » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:56 am

TrumpetsRule17 wrote:
All I ask for is for people (of ALL ages, from teenagers on up) to have responsible sex
er wut exactly is ur definition for responsible sex?
Okay ... an oxymoron would be something like 'divorce court,' 'natural blonde,' or 'business ethics.' :D Just kidding.

An oxymoron is "a rhetorical figure in which an epigrammatic effect is created by the conjunction of incongruous or contradictory terms."
Still a little confused? Bittersweet is an oxymoron. Bitter & sweet contradict eachother. Another one would be dangerously safe. Same thing.

But responsible sex? Nope, that's not an oxymoron. Well ... in some cases, depending on the people, it may be. Like those folks you watch on Jerry Springer with nine kids, each with a different father. :roll: Responsible would be knowing the person & their background, not letting them talk you into something you don't want to do, and using protection.

But I don't agree with teens having sex. Twelve year olds should not be getting involved with stuff like that. Nor should thirteen, fourteen and fifteen year olds. That's just crazy. They are too young to understand what safe and responsible is. I know too many teens who have had babies, but their parents ended up caring for it. :!:
World Of Pageantry Champion!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: oxymoron

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:44 pm

MsNikki wrote:Nor should thirteen, fourteen and fifteen year olds. That's just crazy. They are too young to understand what safe and responsible is. I know too many teens who have had babies, but their parents ended up caring for it. :!:
This is where I differ, and why I *detest* the current statutory rape law in California. I don't like blanket statements or blanket laws, I believe everything should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. I would agree that most, even the vast majority of 13, 14, and 15 year olds are too young to understand what safe and responsible is. But some of them AREN'T. Some of them ARE mature enough. The world runs different for each person, and no one's life experiences are the same. When I met my ex-g/f she was 16 and I was 19. She was FAR more mature and world-aware than I was, even though she was a junior in high school and I was a 2nd-year college student.

It's too easy to just label a group of people and be done with it, but unfortunately that's the route most people choose to take. It's thoughtless and discriminatory and it bothers me as much now as it did ten years ago.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:49 pm

I need to clarify my statement on statutory rape. The law is definitely needed, but in its current form is rigid and inflexible. To me, there is a BIG difference between a 21-year old sleeping with a 17-year old and a 50-year old sleeping with a 14-year old. But in the eyes of the law they are the same (felony statutory rape) and they get the same mandatory sentence (5 years in prison, IIRC). To me this is just absurd.

Just figured I'd clarify that it's not the concept of the law that bothers me, it's the current rigid and unadaptable execution of it.