Circus Marches

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Circus Marches

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:42 pm

What do you think about circus marches? Do you like them? If you do, what is(are) your favorite(s)?
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:48 am

Yeah, I like them. Heh. There's too many for me to list. But let's see, here's the first few off my mind...

"The Circus Bee" (Fillmore)
"Rolling Thunder" (Fillmore)
"The Squealer" (Huff)
"The Big Cage" (King)
"Circus Days" (King)
"Bombasto" (Farrar)
"Them Basses" (Huffine)
"Windjammers Unlimited" (Harper)
"Booster" (Lake)
"Bon Voyage" (King)
"The Screamer" (Jewell)
"Radio Waves" (Jewell)
"Circusdom" (Jewell)
"Old Circus Band" (Jewell)
"Salute to the Sultan" (Lawrence)
"Symphonia" (Evans)
"Yankee Robinson" (Huffer)

I'm sure I forgot a bunch, but that's the start of the list, at least. :D

And that's not counting all the other GREAT circus music out there... because circus music is more than marches, it's also one-steps, two-steps, fox-trots, waltzes, galops and everything else (actually, some of the pieces I listed above would probably fall into this classification). Here's a few more outstanding pieces:
"Walking Frog" (King) (Two-step, I believe)
"Abdallah" (King) (Oriental Fox-Trot)
"Kentucky Sunrise" (King) (two-step)
"Country Shuffle" (Holmes) (Dance-Jig)
"Jungle Queen" (Barnard) (Oriental quickstep)

Coach
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Coach » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:35 am

Circus marches are the best.

One day there will be a high school with trombones that can play 64th notes :shock: double tongued :? at 120 :( from the intro to the last strain :oops: . In a perfect world :lol: . Don't we wish. :hum:

There is no circus march without crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy bone chops.
Be the Best YOU can be,
Because YOU can!

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:32 am

Is Barnum and Bailey's Favorite considered a circus march. If it is, great. If it isn't, its cool. I still like it a lot.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:04 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Yeah, I like them. Heh. There's too many for me to list. But let's see, here's the first few off my mind...

"The Circus Bee" (Fillmore)
"Rolling Thunder" (Fillmore)
"The Squealer" (Huff)
"The Big Cage" (King)
"Circus Days" (King)
"Bombasto" (Farrar)
"Them Basses" (Huffine)
"Windjammers Unlimited" (Harper)
"Booster" (Lake)
"Bon Voyage" (King)
"The Screamer" (Jewell)
"Radio Waves" (Jewell)
"Circusdom" (Jewell)
"Old Circus Band" (Jewell)
"Salute to the Sultan" (Lawrence)
"Symphonia" (Evans)
"Yankee Robinson" (Huffer)
"Walking Frog" (King) (Two-step, I believe)
"Abdallah" (King) (Oriental Fox-Trot)
"Kentucky Sunrise" (King) (two-step)
"Country Shuffle" (Holmes) (Dance-Jig)
"Jungle Queen" (Barnard) (Oriental quickstep)
:shock: :shock: :shock: you got all those off the top of your head?? wow :bow:
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:08 pm

Yes, it is. In fact, you haven't really heard that march until you've heard a group take it at 150-160 bpm. Many bands slow it down considerably and play it on the parade. Circus marches are pretty versatile like that, a lot of them can sound good as parade marches, too.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:55 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Yes, it is. In fact, you haven't really heard that march until you've heard a group take it at 150-160 bpm. Many bands slow it down considerably and play it on the parade. Circus marches are pretty versatile like that, a lot of them can sound good as parade marches, too.
I actualy have heard a group take B&B Fav. to like 170. It was freakin' awsome. I played it my Fresh. year, and than heard it again much, MUCH faster, and it was awsome. You're right tho, Circus Marches do sound a lot better taken faster.

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:11 pm

Personal wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:Yes, it is. In fact, you haven't really heard that march until you've heard a group take it at 150-160 bpm. Many bands slow it down considerably and play it on the parade. Circus marches are pretty versatile like that, a lot of them can sound good as parade marches, too.
I actualy have heard a group take B&B Fav. to like 170. It was freakin' awsome. I played it my Fresh. year, and than heard it again much, MUCH faster, and it was awsome. You're right tho, Circus Marches do sound a lot better taken faster.
One of the CDs I have contains a recording of a 160-170 bpm version of "Joyce's 71st New York Regiment." :shock:

I do-nee like it. :evil: Doesn't sound good (to me) sped up that fast.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:29 pm

Would you consider "In Storm and Sunshine" a circus march? I really love that march, and I really wanna play it next year. What i love about it is that there's always a new statement that's equally as exciting and entertaining as the first. I really love the fact that it isn't horribly repetitive and all the differences are equally fun :shock: :D
Colorguard Instructor

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:10 am

Phantom Phan wrote:
Personal wrote:
One of the CDs I have contains a recording of a 160-170 bpm version of "Joyce's 71st New York Regiment." :shock:

I do-nee like it. :evil: Doesn't sound good (to me) sped up that fast.
Really?? I think it sounds great sped p. I mean if it is played correctly that is. But hey, that is just my Personal opinion.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:42 pm

PantherBandFreak wrote:Would you consider "In Storm and Sunshine" a circus march? I really love that march, and I really wanna play it next year. What i love about it is that there's always a new statement that's equally as exciting and entertaining as the first. I really love the fact that it isn't horribly repetitive and all the differences are equally fun :shock: :D
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a circus march. I have it on numerous circus march CDs, at the very least. "In Storm and Sunshine" is kinda like cotton candy, though: it tastes good, but there's not much substance to it. It's also deceptively easier than it sounds.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:31 pm

Lol, that's a great analogy. Do you happen to have it at a slower tempo than 160 bpm? I have it on cd but it's so fast. If I do military comps this year i think i'll use it.
Colorguard Instructor

shorts
Rookie
Rookie

circus marches.

Post by shorts » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:49 pm

the only circus march i've played was in 8th grade, "The Big Circus March". haha. it was cute though. so we can say it's my favorite since it's the only one i've heard.

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:43 pm

I also played "Barnum & Bailey's Favorite" my freshman year, and I loved it! I can only imagine how it would sound at 170! :shock: I don't think I could have EVER played it that fast freshman year!!!! lol. But then again, I didn't have to, so it's all ok. lol. :D :D :D
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place