Football and Band?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

SmTuba

Football and Band?

Post by SmTuba » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:48 pm

I was wondering if I'm not the only one in here. I play tuba for the San Marcos marching band and a center for the football team. Are any of you guys in marching band and football? We have a couple in our band but I'm the only one on the varsity team. I am a junior and it's kind of sad that I'll never get to play in a football game again :( But the good thing is we are going to Nationals this year and it's gonna be awesome.

PS- Mike Grogan anyone?

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:53 pm

My friend played football last year and trumpet, but he stuck to band and not necessarily quit football, but he stopped doing it this year.
OHS '01 - '05

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:01 pm

hey i really liked san marco's tuba line and since you are a junior you were in it a couple years ago when i saw them!! you guys were awesome. personally i like people in football to do band cuz it kinda bridges the two groups more. but it's not possible for people here to do MARCHING band and football at the same time and i'm pretty sure the same way in most schools (at least in california). i like playing football (i played it alot during middle school lunch break) but i just like band more.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:57 pm

We have the bridges gapped through orchestra.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:54 pm

We used to have a football player in concert band, but he quit.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:36 pm

We have a football player in orchestra, but I forgot what he plated. I'm pretty sure it's tuba. All of the football players make fun of him, it's really dumb. I say if you like both things, no matter how different they are, then go for it, but for some reason some people seem to have a problem with that.

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

bando football playa?

Post by RifleLova » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:57 pm

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!??! i have NEVER heard of someone being in band and american football!! oh wow...that's one to ponder...that's never happened at my school (as far as i know) and i dont think it'll happen anytime soon. band hates football as football hates band. easy and simple i guess... :?
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:19 pm

LovableSheep wrote:We used to have a football player in concert band, but he quit.
oh and he wasnt really a drummer too. yea it's really hard to get football players into band since they have to deal with alot more at their practices. as for marching band, it's all about practice schedule, if the school manges times so he/she cant be at both of the practices they gotta choose 1 sport.

how would that person was there half the rehersals and half at practices. it would definetly hurt both programs unless somthing could be devised

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:15 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:how would that person was there half the rehersals and half at practices. it would definetly hurt both programs unless somthing could be devised
That's one of the reasons there aren't many people that do both.

SmTuba

Post by SmTuba » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:49 pm

Well it just kind of works out that I go to a school with block scheduling, so we only have one after school practice, and it's on monday from 6-9. Football practice goes from 3:00 to 6:30, so you do the math. The thing that sucks though is band camp. They just happen to schedule it during football hell week, and I can tell you, it's definately not fun. I get a lot of "How do you do band and football?" People don't seem to realize that marching band isn't all about football games. On the football team, my name isn't Andy Marshall anymore, but simply "Tuba". I love it.

rockchick04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rockchick04 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:56 pm

We used to have a few. One of them is a Senior and I believe is still on the team as well as in band. We've had a few band cheerleaders too.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:46 pm

We have a Tuba player on the varsity team at mvhs.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:46 am

My sixth grade teacher told me about how he would go play football, than go and march the Half-Time show in his football uniform, and than go play football again. The next day, he would go and play in the band at comps. Wierd huh?
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

Vm

Post by MoophoniumMan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:23 pm

I think there is someone in Vista Murrieta's drumline who is also in football...