props for band

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

huskyfan68

props for band

Post by huskyfan68 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:51 am

I'm a band parent and for our show we are constructing a large ramp for some kids to perform on. Does anyone know if there are any safety guidelines to consider when building props? If the ramp is say 6' off ground at high end- what are the potential complications there as far as railing etc- common sense tells me we will construct one- but I'm more concerned about what is "code" etc (if there even is such a thing in this type of area) comments welcome

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: props for band

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 am

Most of the codes I am aware of are rules involving heights. For example, Article II, Section 6.05 of the Bands of America rulebook states that props cannot exceed 12 feet in height, and that a performer on said prop cannot have their feet more than 6 feet above the field. It goes on to state that the contest director has the constant right to veto the use of any props he/she deems unsafe.

My experience tells me that a stable prop is a safe prop, and safety's the name of the game. If you can't do it safely, don't do it at all.

huskyfan68

Re: props for band

Post by huskyfan68 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 pm

thanks- I read it all as well- I guess the part not clear is "safety" rail and what constitutes that-