scary movies

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:56 pm

In the older days, horror films actually had a point to follow.
Scary movies these days are meant to be as gruesome as they can be, which often turns out to be unrealisitc (check Freddy vs. Jason), and so unrealstic that the movie better serves as a comedy.
And when most all horror films these days are like that, we just lost interest.

From what I've heard, the Chainsaw MAssacre was really scary.
However, that was also based on a true story...
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

ExhibitA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ExhibitA » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:41 pm

formermarcher wrote:From what I've heard, the Chainsaw MAssacre was really scary.
However, that was also based on a true story...
Based on a true story, maybe. However, they forgot a very important word: LOOSELY. And I'd still rather see the original TX Massacre.
Zai.

jrichmond68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jrichmond68 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:43 pm

In the future, so every movie will be able to be "based on a true story"...even without the "loosely" part.

So have fun kids! Go be wild and crazy, so producers can add that tag line!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:22 pm

ExhibitA wrote:Yes, THESE days.

Why is it that some people believe that they have to remake or re-edit a movie and rerelease it? (once again, 'Exorcist' exempt...the 'Version You've Never Seen' is eff-in' SCARY :shock: ) A good example is the Haunting. The new one sucks. Bad. But the black and white version makes much more sense, it's all around better, scarier....awesomer.
The Exorcist is frickin' hialrious. It's a very, very dated movie. It might have been horrifying in the 1970s, but my ex and I saw the "New Version" in the theaters when it was out a few years ago and were laughing our arses off. There's really only ONE scary scene in the Exorcist: when Regan is bent over backwards and racing down the stairs like a spider with blood pouring out of her mouth (re-release/edited version only, I think). That was freaky.

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:58 pm

I love the Ring as well. I've seen it like 10 times. Its really a good movie, I think.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

ExhibitA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ExhibitA » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:01 pm

Phantom Phan wrote: The Exorcist is frickin' hialrious. It's a very, very dated movie. It might have been horrifying in the 1970s, but my ex and I saw the "New Version" in the theaters when it was out a few years ago and were laughing our arses off. There's really only ONE scary scene in the Exorcist: when Regan is bent over backwards and racing down the stairs like a spider with blood pouring out of her mouth (re-release/edited version only, I think). That was freaky.
Only the rerelease version. Yes, THAT was the single scariest scene. I think it may have been the fact that there were new Pazuzu heads everywhere that kinda scared me. Or the fact that I was watching it at midnight in someone else's house. Either way, will agree about it being funny.
Every time I see the priest leap out the window I think, "I believe I can soooooar..." :lol:
Zai.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:28 pm

ExhibitA wrote:Every time I see the priest leap out the window I think, "I believe I can soooooar..." :lol:
I hear "Peter Pan" in my head... "You can fly!" :lol: :lol:

ExhibitA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ExhibitA » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:27 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
ExhibitA wrote:Every time I see the priest leap out the window I think, "I believe I can soooooar..." :lol:
I hear "Peter Pan" in my head... "You can fly!" :lol: :lol:
LMAO That's a perfect one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

An' hey, has anyone seen 'Rosemary's Baby'? Wow...that sounds kinda odd. :|
Zai.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:26 am

Yes. (I worked in a video store for two years; I've seen just about everything made pre-1996.) It's a little creepy, but it's another movie that's lost some of its punch over the years (the devil worshippers just seem so HOKEY today).

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:14 pm

I finally watched the movie Wrong Turn yesturday. That movie is pretty scary!!! and its also pretty bloody too.... Texas Chain Saw Massecure is also really really scary!!
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:18 am

Cole167888 wrote:I love the Ring as well. I've seen it like 10 times. Its really a good movie, I think.
I agree. However, I was not that scared, so much as freaked/wierded out. It was an excellent movie, and I hear that 2 and 3 are supposed to be on the way...But who knows?...
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."