scary movies

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

scary movies

Post by sonya » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:41 pm

holy mackarel.. I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre the other day, and completely freaked.. I left the theater, it was so terrible watching it. Since then I've been reading about Gein and Dahmer, and now, I'm scared... I haven't spoken to my bf, who lives down in SD, all day; I tried calling and couldn't get a hold of him, and now I'm half terrified that something's happened. I wish I never saw that movie.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: scary movies

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:32 am

sonya wrote:holy mackarel.. I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre the other day, and completely freaked.. I left the theater, it was so terrible watching it. Since then I've been reading about Gein and Dahmer, and now, I'm scared... I haven't spoken to my bf, who lives down in SD, all day; I tried calling and couldn't get a hold of him, and now I'm half terrified that something's happened. I wish I never saw that movie.
I'm thinking of seeing that with the person I'm seeing. We've been going to the movie just to see scary movie so we're going to continue with the trend.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:29 am

personally i dont really like watching horror movies but i can watch em unless i watch comedy/action/scifi. some of the horror movies made are just so obsurdly stupid it becomes funny. from the horror movies i've seen it's only scrary if you keep thinking about it after the movie...
Last edited by IsnipeWithAknife on Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:39 am

John Carpenter made the best horror movies ever: "Halloween," "The Fog," and "The Thing." All of them are outstanding. Especially "The Thing," whose special effects still look amazing some 22 years after the movie was made.

The plot of "The Thing" was based off the incredible short story "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr. (And John Carpenter's version is FAR more faithful to the book than the original movie, "The Thing From Another World," featuring James Arness, that was made in the 1950s.) I have since seen the story adapted into an X-Files episode very similar to The Thing, and several other countlessly bad movies.

All of these are HIGHLY recommended:
The Thing (1982) (Awesome, awesome movie about paranoia, fear, and isolation; with a young Kurt Russell)
The Fog (1980) (Poorly acted but tremendously atmospheric and creepy; takes place on the California coast, too)
Halloween (1978) (One of the most famous and scariest "slasher" flicks ever made; but the plot/storyline is vastly inferior to "The Thing")

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:50 pm

I just saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's great. It wasn't scary because it was so outdated, but it was really good. The leather face guy is so funny how he dances around.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:24 pm

Yeah? I heard the original was pretty sick, apparently they're all cannibals, and it spawned the whole slasher/screaming girl genre.

Anyway, I'm never watching a scary movie again.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:26 pm

sonya wrote:Yeah? I heard the original was pretty sick, apparently they're all cannibals, and it spawned the whole slasher/screaming girl genre.
Halloween, with Jamie Lee Curtis's young lungs, was the movie that spawned the slasher/screamer genre.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:36 pm

I get really scared in scary movies, sometimes i cant even watch them. I feel like such a wimp but thats just how i am.

luv2drum06

scary movies

Post by luv2drum06 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:42 pm

both final destinations made me pee in my pants (well, almost) :shock:

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:47 pm

TCM came first. In it the girlfriend was hung on a meathook, by her skin, alive, and screamed her head off.

hmm.. from "http://www.geocities.com/slasherkid666/history.html"

The slasher film was not created overnight. The full-blown birth of the genre, which occurred in the late 1970s, was actually the fruition of almost twenty years of growth.

It all began in 1960 with a little black-and-white film called Psycho. When Alfred Hitchcock made Psycho, little did he know that he was laying the groundwork for an entirely new kind of film.

It was fourteen years before the next phase of the slasher creation was complete, but when it did come, it came with a bang--or, more appropriately, a buzz.

The buzz of a chainsaw.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre took the stylish murder scenes of Psycho to a new level, and threw another essential slasher element into the mix: teenagers. ... Jason, Freddy, the Scream killer, even Michael Meyers, all owe a great debt to Leatherface for starting the craze.

The other film from 1974 that deserves recognition for its role in the creation of the slasher genre is a true forgotten classic named Black Christmas.

The final ingredient in the phenomena that became the slasher genre was introduced in 1976 in a film titled Carrie. Carrie is regarded as a modern horror classic for many reasons, but the most important--the one everyone remembers from the film--is the ending. ...

Haddonfield, Illinois; October 31, 1978; Halloween.

John Carpenter's Halloween was the movie that took all of the elements mentioned above and piled them all together, creating the first true slasher movie. From the moment Halloween hit the theaters and became a world-wide success, there was nothing anyone could do to stop the birth of the slasher movie.

So I guess it depends on what you think is truly a slasher movie? I don't know. Like I say, I don't watch scary movies.

ExhibitA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ExhibitA » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:49 pm

sonya wrote:The final ingredient in the phenomena that became the slasher genre was introduced in 1976 in a film titled Carrie. Carrie is regarded as a modern horror classic for many reasons, but the most important--the one everyone remembers from the film--is the ending.
It's been said that, "'Carrie' is not a horror movie." Said by the director. Hm. An' 'Carrie' wasn't really that much of a slasher. It was more of a Psychomania kind of thing.

And on 'Halloween', I saw that movie and luffed it some good :D .
A few things to say about it though:
1. Griping about it supposedly taking place in "Illinois". Being an Illinoisian (or.....whatever), I can safely say that weather aspects of that movie were insanely inaccurate.
*crickets*
...Moving on.
2. The ONE stunt in the movie made everything click. Usually stunts are seen as cheap throw-ins for sparkle ('Exorcist' exempt), but this one did the movie real good.
3. The sheer funniness of the way a few of the teens die is so great.
...Moving on again.

I'm afraid of 'The Ring'. Yes, I'm afraid of a horror movie (Rated PG13) after laughing about how Michael Myers kills people. Oh yes.

That movie scared the ....-yness out of me. I don't know why, either. I could barely watch the previews for its predecessor, 'Ringu' (Japanese version) after seeing that movie.
Zai.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:04 am

Heh.
Alot of people thought the Ring was scary...including my pal whose almost in the Marines.
I haven't seen it, but I've seen movie pictures...I'd be scared.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:13 am

formermarcher wrote:Heh.
Alot of people thought the Ring was scary...including my pal whose almost in the Marines.
I haven't seen it, but I've seen movie pictures...I'd be scared.
oh i looved the ring i thought it was a good horror movie. actually i think horror movies are supposed to make you think you can die by some really over expanded urban legend. most of the "horror movies" i've seen are scare/thrill movies(signs, sixth sense). which arent too bad tho (but then again i dont really watch horror films).

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:17 am

Horror films these days...
There's like a 5:1 bad-to-good ratio with scary films.

Then you got Scary Movie which just makes fun of it all.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

ExhibitA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ExhibitA » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:00 pm

Yes, THESE days.

Why is it that some people believe that they have to remake or re-edit a movie and rerelease it? (once again, 'Exorcist' exempt...the 'Version You've Never Seen' is eff-in' SCARY :shock: ) A good example is the Haunting. The new one sucks. Bad. But the black and white version makes much more sense, it's all around better, scarier....awesomer.
Zai.