Where were You at 1:35 today.

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Where were You at 1:35 today.

Post by JLGORMAN » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:10 pm

This afternoon at 1:35 I was returning to my office on Fort Hood, when I noticed Police cars flying down the roads on base to what we call the Soldiers Readiness Center. I pulled my car into my parking lot which is right next to the Casulty Assistance Center. Needless to say what transpired effected all of us on the Base, but also all children of military Personnel who had to wonder if one of there parents had been shot. During the period of 5 hours in which we were locked down and not allowed to leave, I watched and talked with several of the personnel called into serve as casulty assistance officers. Having had this duty myself, I can only imagine what these folks will go through this day and night. We postponed the football game tonight(until saturday), somehow games are not that important. Reading the Web Page, one would believe that nothing of substance happened today other than someone not posting a lineup. In our comunity there will be some children who have played in our Bands who will not forget this day. Sometimes there are more important thinks to think about than just what circuit is the best.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Where were You at 1:35 today.

Post by uci_guy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:24 pm

''
Last edited by uci_guy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drummer

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 pm

I expressed my thoughts about this tragedy in the Directors Forum this afternoon. It would not be appropriate for me to express how I truly feel in this open forum... too much anger.

vore :(
US Army 1967-1970
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 pm

JLGORMAN wrote:This afternoon at 1:35 I was returning to my office on Fort Hood, when I noticed Police cars flying down the roads on base to what we call the Soldiers Readiness Center. I pulled my car into my parking lot which is right next to the Casulty Assistance Center. Needless to say what transpired effected all of us on the Base, but also all children of military Personnel who had to wonder if one of there parents had been shot. During the period of 5 hours in which we were locked down and not allowed to leave, I watched and talked with several of the personnel called into serve as casulty assistance officers. Having had this duty myself, I can only imagine what these folks will go through this day and night. We postponed the football game tonight(until saturday), somehow games are not that important. Reading the Web Page, one would believe that nothing of substance happened today other than someone not posting a lineup. In our comunity there will be some children who have played in our Bands who will not forget this day. Sometimes there are more important thinks to think about than just what circuit is the best.
What happened is simply tragic. You know what, though? I personally NEED the "lineups" and "circuit" discussions because I can't take any more news on random acts of violence.
My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims. I've been trying to learn how to cope with that kind of horror by not thinking about it. It might sound selfish but it just seems like the only thing to do in the wake of such madness.

OldTrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by OldTrumpet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:26 am

Although the Ft. Hood attack is a senseless and tragic event, and I and all others on this forum feel for you and all of the men and women in our Armed Forces, especially there in Texas, but I fell that this is not the right forum to discuss this terrible event.

I would not want to shield everyone from the "real world", but this site is for discussions of Pageantry related activities. There are more appropriate forums for this.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:27 pm

I have made my post in the Directors Forum...

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

DynaGlide
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DynaGlide » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:01 pm

I made myself feel better by going out and buying items for packages for my family members and past students who are serving in the military.

What would happen if each of us who are upset by the horrible things that are happening did a random act of kindness each day? How many millions of people are pained by this event? How many millions can we help for even a few minutes? NO, I'm not some idealistic nut case. I'm just tired of thinking that I can't do anything to change things when I can improve the life of at least one person each day.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 am

OldTrumpet wrote:Although the Ft. Hood attack is a senseless and tragic event, and I and all others on this forum feel for you and all of the men and women in our Armed Forces, especially there in Texas, but I fell that this is not the right forum to discuss this terrible event.

I would not want to shield everyone from the "real world", but this site is for discussions of Pageantry related activities. There are more appropriate forums for this.
This is also the "off-topic" section of our pageantry forums, and tragedies are something that can be discussed. Why avoid this topic it's something that needs to be discussed in every community, and hopefully help people avoid these events in the future. Although somethings may never be avoided. Let's pray for those affected by these events.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:42 am

Clarification: this was originally posted in the Marching Band forum. It was moved.