World of Pageantry
http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/

Ringing in Rio
http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17063
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Wildabeast [ Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Ringing in Rio

Congratulations to Rio de Janeiro....the official host of the 2016 "Summer" Olympic Games.

Author:  Hostrauser [ Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.

Author:  ovhs_sousaman [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

Hostrauser wrote:
Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.


Well, it'll be winter here in the U.S., but it will be summer down there, so it's still the Summer Olympics.

Author:  Hostrauser [ Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

ovhs_sousaman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.


Well, it'll be winter here in the U.S., but it will be summer down there, so it's still the Summer Olympics.

Just the opposite. The Olympics will be held in AUGUST: summer in the NORTHERN hemisphere, but winter in the Southern hemisphere.

Author:  ovhs_sousaman [ Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

Hostrauser wrote:
ovhs_sousaman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.


Well, it'll be winter here in the U.S., but it will be summer down there, so it's still the Summer Olympics.

Just the opposite. The Olympics will be held in AUGUST: summer in the NORTHERN hemisphere, but winter in the Southern hemisphere.


:oops: didn't know that. that is quite strange. :dno:

Author:  Hostrauser [ Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

ovhs_sousaman wrote:
:oops: didn't know that. that is quite strange. :dno:

Due to the Earth's axis tilt, the seasons are flipped on opposite sides of the equator. During June, July, August, the Northern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Southern hemisphere leans away (Northern summer, Southern winter). During December, January, February, the Southern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Northern hemisphere leans away (Northern winter, Southern summer).

The Basics: http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/climate/cli_seasons.html

Author:  ovhs_sousaman [ Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

Hostrauser wrote:
ovhs_sousaman wrote:
:oops: didn't know that. that is quite strange. :dno:

Due to the Earth's axis tilt, the seasons are flipped on opposite sides of the equator. During June, July, August, the Northern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Southern hemisphere leans away (Northern summer, Southern winter). During December, January, February, the Southern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Northern hemisphere leans away (Northern winter, Southern summer).

The Basics: http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/climate/cli_seasons.html

I knew that.. I just meant it was strange that they would hold the Summer Olympics during winter.

Author:  LoyalTubist [ Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringing in Rio

Actually, Rio is in the tropics, so it's summer all year long. Why quibble?

Here in the Philippines, it's hot all year long, but they call "summer" when school is out between March and June. (The school year runs from June to March.) When they start school early, they say they shorten summer.

I remember the first day of summer 1995. We had a winter storm when I was driving to work in Los Angeles. I mention this to the people here in the Philippines and they think I'm crazy. ("You can't have a WINTER storm in SUMMER!!!")

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/