Another major retailer is being liquidated

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Another major retailer is being liquidated

Post by baritoneplayer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:12 pm

It is an extremely sad day in the Central Valley of California as it was announced today that Gottschalks department stores are to be liquidated and will be closed by July 2009. This company has served California for 104 years and really was the last place for Central Valley customers to get quality clothing and other goods. Approximately 5000 employees will be losing their jobs. I know several people that will be losing their jobs and my heart goes out to them during this difficult time. :(

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Another major retailer is being liquidated

Post by supermutant » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:31 pm

When you are paying the banks 28% interest on consumer credit, it is hard to justify buying new clothes, regardless of how good the clothes or the retailers are. I will miss Gottschalks, especially the resaurant at Fashion Fair in Fresno. They were one of the best and this situation is not the fault of the Gottschalk employees. :(

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Gottschalk's took over San Bernardino's only major retailer in the late 1990s, The Harris Company. Because Gottschalk's had a store in the Inland Center, not far from the Carousel Mall (ex-Central City Mall), the Gottschalk's people closed down the historic original (early 20th century store) in favor of the former May Company location at the Inland Center.

What this means is, it's not one chain that is closing down, but two. The location at the Riverside Plaza retained the Harris' name.

Who remembers Woolworth's?

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:10 am

LoyalTubist wrote: Who remembers Woolworth's?
There is a woolworth's in Oxnard which to this day retains the lunch counter. Stop by and we'll get lunch (unfortunately 2009 prices!) 8-)

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Geeeeeeezo Pete...it's bad enough I'm reminded how old I'm getting in real life, but then I come on WOP and get reminded that indeed I AM old. I used to go to Woolworths in Pasadena down by the Sears in Hastings Ranch and have a hot dog and potato chip lunch with my mom at counter. We also liked Sears old lunch counter as well, as they had the BEST chili dogs with onions ever.

Wow...that certainly dredged up some old memories.