WOP Football Pool!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Week 17 picks

Post by MCclarinetdude » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:20 pm

Last Week: 8-8
Season: 125-85

New England over Buffalo
San Francisco over Seattle
Philadelphia over Washington

Atlanta over Jacksonville
Cincinnati over Cleveland
St. Louis over Detroit
Indianapolis over Houston
Kansas City over Chicago
Miami over New York Jets
Dallas over New Orleans
Tennessee over Tampa Bay
Minnesota over Arizona
Carolina over New York Giants
Denver over Green Bay
San Diego over Oakland
Pittsburgh over Baltimore total score: 31
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:26 pm

Hmm..
Phantom didn't post this week, which makes sense considering he's not really around right now.

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, the results were like this:

Lizzy-9
MC-9
Former-10

I'll take it this week...if someone wants to double check???
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:41 pm

Yep, I didn't get a chance to post here, but I did slip it into Yahoo. I went 10-6 this week, missing Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, New Orleans, Arizona, and Green Bay.

For the year, I correctly predicted 2/3rds of the victors of every single NFL game played: 169-87 (.660)

Should we start a new thread for the playoffs, or just post it here?

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:19 pm

Good to see you've returned!

Its my intention to make a seperate thread...working on it now.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:00 am

Well, I'll copy this over there once you do... here's my idea...

Playoff rules:
1. Predict the winners of every game. Be aware that there is no set flowchart: who plays who in the second and third round will be determined by who wins each game.
2. 11 total playoff games, including the Super Bowl. Who ever has the most winners correct wins! (tiebreaker: Super Bowl total points)

I'll go first. My predicted winners in bold.

WILD CARD ROUND:
Tennessee (12-4) at Baltimore (10-6)
Baltimore has dominated the series between these two teams and has been brutally tough at home (7-1). The Ravens are a frighteningly inconsistant team (as the loss to Oakland showed) and simply don't have enough offense to make it far in the playoffs, but I think they'll squeak out one last upset win next weekend.
Denver (10-6) at Indianapolis (12-4)
Let's not forget: the Broncos started 5-1 before injuries took them down a notch, and they were on a 5-1 roll at the end of the season before resting nearly half the starters versus Green Bay this weekend. The Broncos defense has been rock-solid: 8th in the NFL for points allowed and barely giving up 270 yards a game. The Colts defense has struggled against the run all year, and Clinton Portis is a fast, agile back who excels on fast, indoor turf. Portis has rushed for 692 yards and 9 TDs in his last FOUR games, and he didn't play two weeks ago when the Broncos beat the Colts 31-17.
Dallas (10-6) at Carolina (11-5)
What a choice match-up for the Panthers: they get a team that's mediocre on the road and entering the playoffs on a disappointing loss. This will be a low-scoring, defensive battle, and ball-control and the running game will be the deciding factors. That's where Carolina, with Stephen Davis, has a huge edge.
Seattle (10-6) at Green Bay (10-6)
Brett Favre has been on fire, Ahman Green is running wild, the Packers' defense has been stepping it up, and the Seahawks have been miserable on the road. It all adds up to a long and ugly day for Mike Holmgren's crew. Green Bay put a 35-13 stomping on Seattle earlier on in the season, and I see no reason for it to be any different this time around.

Wild Card round Winners: Baltimore, Denver, Carolina, Green Bay

DIVISIONAL ROUND:
Baltimore (11-6) at Kansas City (13-3)
Despite a rough defense, the Chiefs have been pure dynamite at home.
Denver (11-6) at New England (14-2)
The Patriots are on a roll, and they've been here before.
Carolina (12-5) at St. Louis (12-4)
Carolina has a bloated record: they were 9-2 vs. teams at or under .500, and only 1-3 against teams above .500.
Green Bay (11-6) at Philadelphia (12-4)
The Eagles were looking set until Brian Westbrook went down. Mark my words: that was a DEVASTATING loss. McNabb simply isn't good enough to carry any team all the way to the Super Bowl by himself.

Divisional Round winners: Kansas City, New England, St. Louis, Green Bay

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS:
Kansas City (14-3) at New England (15-2)
Here's where KC's 30th ranked defense comes back to haunt them: in the snow of Massachusetts.
Green Bay (12-6) at St. Louis (13-4)
Brett Favre's inspirational run ends here. Lovie Smith (Rams Defensive Coordinator) has Favre's number.

Conference Champions: New England, St. Louis

SUPER BOWL:
New England 27, St. Louis 21
Two years ago, these two teams met in a dome for the Super Bowl. This year? Same thing. It won't be quite the nail-biter the last match-up was, but it will still be a good game.

Phantom's Playoff winners:
Baltimore, Denver, Carolina, Green Bay
Kansas City, New England, St. Louis, Green Bay
New England, St. Louis
New England

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:14 pm

I do believe that the winner of the 3rd seed vs 6th seed game plays the 1st seeded team.
I could be wrong...but that is how I'm going to post up the playoff pool. Feel free to edit if needed.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:19 pm

No: the lowest seeded team that survives the wild card round plays the #1 seed. Thus, if Dallas beats Carolina, Dallas goes to Philadelphia; if Carolina wins, they go to St. Louis and the Seattle/Green Bay winner goes to Philadelphia. Same thing in the AFC: if Denver beats Indy, they go to New England; if Indy wins, they go to Kansas City and the Tennessee/Baltimore winner goes to New England.