DOH!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

DOH!

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Guess what I did! I'm currently building a new computer and the CPU I bought was a different socket type that my motherboard takes. In short I destroyed a 200 dollar chip and now I can't finish my new computer until I get my next paycheck :cry:

I SHOULD have double checked to see if the CPU i was buying was the right socket so its mostly my fault I made an expensive blunder. For some reason AMD made their latest of their line of Phenom II processors use an older socket type. I was originally going to buy their slower CPUs but decided to get the faster one cause I could afford it. There I assumed they were both socket AM3. When building my computer, I knew somthing was wrong when the CPU wasn't fitting in the motherboard properly. I should have stopped there but I used a bit of force got it to seat semi-properly and the heatsink crushed it in. Socket AM2+ CPUs have more pins in the back of the chip than AM3 so basically I tried to force something that had more legs into pants that didn't have as many pants holes.
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DOH!

Post by JazzGeek » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:28 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:Guess what I did! I'm currently building a new computer and the CPU I bought was a different socket type that my motherboard takes. In short I destroyed a 200 dollar chip and now I can't finish my new computer until I get my next paycheck :cry:

I SHOULD have double checked to see if the CPU i was buying was the right socket so its mostly my fault I made an expensive blunder. For some reason AMD made their latest of their line of Phenom II processors use an older socket type. I was originally going to buy their slower CPUs but decided to get the faster one cause I could afford it. There I assumed they were both socket AM3. When building my computer, I knew something was wrong when the CPU wasn't fitting in the motherboard properly. I should have stopped there but I used a bit of force got it to seat semi-properly and the heatsink crushed it in. Socket AM2+ CPUs have more pins in the back of the chip than AM3 so basically I tried to force something that had more legs into pants that didn't have as many pants holes.
Ouch! Whenever I do a build I always check and re-check and then ask someone else to check. But your sense did tell you to stop, but you ignored it. Always trust your instincts, young Jedi..... :jedi:

tSz42

Re: DOH!

Post by tSz42 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:09 pm

bummer. It's bad enough when you buy the wrong part, but its even worse when you realize you bought the wrong part and it is too late ><

As JazzGeek said, I usually give a list of what I'm buying and ask other people what they think. Sometimes they find compatibility issues or they just flat out say "so and so product is horrible!, go with this"