bye bye, Circuit City

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

tSz42

bye bye, Circuit City

Post by tSz42 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Saw this coming back in '06 when they started hiring all those best buy people and tried to "restructure" or whatever you want to call it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/closed.html

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Re: bye bye, Circuit City

Post by thunderdrmz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm

another one bites the dust :(
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 pm

I survived college by stores going out of business. I was married with a young daughter and working three jobs. Had Zody's, Home Club, and Gemco not gone out of business, we would have gone hungry and not had anything to do in the house.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:11 pm

as of march 8th.... CC will no longer exist

now i'll have to go to best buy, frys, amazon, apple store, target, wal-mart, fye, gamestop, or a million other websites to buy this stuff.... how will i survive?!

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:07 pm

*shrugs* :nenr: I'm a fan of Big Blue (Best Buy). The only thing I'll say though is my condolences for everyone that has to be laid off. Good luck!
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:38 am

I liked Best Buy for the best current selection of Blu-ray discs, until I found a much more expansive library of Blu-rays at an unexpected store. Barnes & Noble! That place was packed with way more Blu-rays than even Best Buy, I was surprised
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by baritoneplayer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:28 pm

I never liked Circuit City. I always had to look for a sales person to help me as opposed to Best Buy employees who are always the first to approach you to see if you need assistance. When you did find a
sales person at Circuit City to help you they were not helpful and not knowledgable about the product you were asking about.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:40 pm

baritoneplayer wrote:I never liked Circuit City. I always had to look for a sales person to help me as opposed to Best Buy employees who are always the first to approach you to see if you need assistance. When you did find a
sales person at Circuit City to help you they were not helpful and not knowledgable about the product you were asking about.
I always had the opposite experience with Best Buy. Whenever I walk in the only person who says 'hello is the person at the front door wearing yellow. Usually that's because I know the person because we went to high school together. Most of their other employees seem to be anti-social and hardly know anything about their products.

Either way, its like CymTech said, there's plenty of other stores to shop from.

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 am

Actually....lol. With both Circuit City and Best Buy, my dad and I have had the same experience of walking in and when you don't need anything really, or are just browsing around, they come up to you every minute. On the other hand, when we actually needed something though, it turns out that there was nobody to say "hey may I help you find something?" Pretty weird situations, and a bit ironic.

Electronic Fry's I say is pretty consistent though =]
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 am

tSz42 wrote:
baritoneplayer wrote:I never liked Circuit City. I always had to look for a sales person to help me as opposed to Best Buy employees who are always the first to approach you to see if you need assistance. When you did find a
I always had the opposite experience with Best Buy. Whenever I walk in the only person who says 'hello is the person at the front door wearing yellow. Usually that's because I know the person because we went to high school together. Most of their other employees seem to be anti-social and hardly know anything about their products.

Either way, its like CymTech said, there's plenty of other stores to shop from.
Hate to say it to Best Buys but I agree ... We went shopping with $1000 to spend ... first on a camera, second on a Wii, third on whatever. We were treated like total dirt. The B in cameras wouldn't give us the time of day; the idjit in games didn't know Jack; and the rest of the employees in whatever (including the possibility of selling me a $3000 TV) were on coffee break. Best Buys needs to pull their heads out unless they want to follow Circuit City to the graveyard.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 pm

It's not really the fact that it's Best Buy or Circuit City, but the fact that every store is different with a different staff at different times and days. My guess is that you just have bad luck at getting stuck with new people. Ask a lot of hard questions and hopefully they'll turn you to someone who knows more.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:23 pm

the fact that every store is different with a different staff at different times and days.
Bingo. My dad and I have completely opposite opinions on Home Depot and Lowe's, but we live 100 miles apart.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander